Can This Be Fixed By Next Season?

jive

Liked Posts:
What do you say? Can this mess be fixed this offseason?

I think it's possible, but not likely. It would require the front office to get guys who can contribute right away in the draft, obtain free agents that will contribute without breaking the bank, and resigning our key UFAs with little available cap space.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. A 2 to 3 game swing per season is fairly standard. Rebooting this team with another pass rusher and better OL gives them a fighting chance. Also we did get a lot of injuries this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What do you say? Can this mess be fixed this offseason?

I think it's possible, but not likely. It would require the front office to get guys who can contribute right away in the draft, obtain free agents that will contribute without breaking the bank, and resigning our key UFAs with little available cap space.

Depends on Pace's course of action.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
All we need is to get the right ppl. in place to generate points on "O". It points back to Qb, scheme and better "O" play calling.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Need a RG, RT, TE(Maybe two), another RB, another WR(possibly)

Need to sign a starting ILB, a starting corner, a starting safety, a starting OLB(and depth).

Not to mention our QB mess.

So yes, anything is possible, but don't be shocked if it does not happen. This team is a mess, and we have limited resources to fix it. Ohh well, I guess there is always the bulls to cheer for

coolio

Liked Posts:
Don't think so because the offense was holding us back last year too. Our defense needed to force turnovers at almost a historic rate for us to get good field position and score. It depends what is changed during the offseason.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The Bears would need to:

1. Get production out of Trey Burton because there is no affordable free agent who will be able to change the outlook of this position group.
2. Get an immediate impact starter from the draft on the offensive line.
3. Get a player who can get pressure whose name isn’t Hicks or Mack.
4. Adjust game planning to feature more of the running game. Trubisky can’t throw the ball 40+ times a game and this team expect to win...
5. I personally think we probably need to add another RB this offseason because I am not sold at all on DMont
6. If you cut Prince, you have to find an impact starter at CB as well.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The Bears would need to:

1. Get production out of Trey Burton because there is no affordable free agent who will be able to change the outlook of this position group.
2. Get an immediate impact starter from the draft on the offensive line.
3. Get a player who can get pressure whose name isn’t Hicks or Mack.
4. Adjust game planning to feature more of the running game. Trubisky can’t throw the ball 40+ times a game and this team expect to win...
5. I personally think we probably need to add another RB this offseason because I am not sold at all on DMont
6. If you cut Prince, you have to find an impact starter at CB as well.

1) Yes, and No. You can't go into 2020 relying on trey burton as your only tight end. They might not be able to afford Hooper but they can afford somone like Ebron. Burton as a #2 is doable. Burton as a starter in THIS offense is not. THIS offense is built around the TE position. It can not be neglected again.

2) Agree with you here. Probably RG would be the easiest to find a day one starter on the oline. You can however find some quality RT's in the 2nd. Doubt they move on from Massie however considering the contract.

3) I really hope they move on from Floyd. 13m can find you a pass rusher much better than him.

4) I don't think this will ever happen with matt nagy calling the plays. KC doesn't run the ball all that much. The guy doesn't like to call run plays.

5) Ohh for sure. Just don't draft one. lol. Bears need to find a replacement for cohen since the dude wont be here after 2021.

6) I think they like Tolliver.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
FAs & draft signings won’t fix a coaching staff.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
We are towards the bottom of the league in draft capital and cap space.

Here’s a newsflash: Every team out there has general managers, coaches, and executives trying to improve their team this offseason. Every teams fanbase talks about plans to get better.

But the difference is that their teams actually have resources to put some of their plans into fruition. We don’t. While Bears fans talk about plugging holes and magically improving by connecting on 5th round picks, the rest of the league also has 5th round picks in addition to having 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks. While Bears fans talk about cutting players just to get enough cap to go dumpster diving and sign a cheap free agent to plug a hole, every other team is also looking at signing cheap players to fill holes, but they actually have enough money to sign big name players, resign their own talent, and sign quality depth while they do it.

We aren’t getting better this offseason: we are getting worse. Expecting the team to make gains on the rest of the league while having significantly less resources is just homerism.

msadows

Liked Posts:
We are towards the bottom of the league in draft capital and cap space.

Here’s a newsflash: Every team out there has general managers, coaches, and executives trying to improve their team this offseason. Every teams fanbase talks about plans to get better.

But the difference is that their teams actually have resources to put some of their plans into fruition. We don’t. While Bears fans talk about plugging holes and magically improving by connecting on 5th round picks, the rest of the league also has 5th round picks in addition to having 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks. While Bears fans talk about cutting players just to get enough cap to go dumpster diving and sign a cheap free agent to plug a hole, every other team is also looking at signing cheap players to fill holes, but they actually have enough money to sign big name players, resign their own talent, and sign quality depth while they do it.

We aren’t getting better this offseason: we are getting worse. Expecting the team to make gains on the rest of the league while having significantly less resources is just homerism.

I don't think this offense can get any worse, so nah, I think Bears will be better next season. Just not good enough.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. A 2 to 3 game swing per season is fairly standard. Rebooting this team with another pass rusher and better OL gives them a fighting chance. Also we did get a lot of injuries this year.

No pass rusher unless someone retires or leaves. We already have a top 10 defense. Last time we upgraded it we didn't gain much in rankings for the price. And part of that price was the oline.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No pass rusher unless someone retires or leaves. We already have a top 10 defense. Last time we upgraded it we didn't gain much in rankings for the price. And part of that price was the oline.

Uhh.....It is 100% a priority.

You do realize we are bottom 10 in sacks this year? We were top 3 in sacks last year.

Pressuring the QB correlates directly to turnovers.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Uhh.....It is 100% a priority.

You do realize we are bottom 10 in sacks this year? We were top 3 in sacks last year.

Pressuring the QB correlates directly to turnovers.

What changed that you want to fix by replacing the PLAYERS from that top 3 defense?
OC maybe? You're not going to fix the OC by getting rid of our already good enough to be top 3 pass rushers.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Need a RG, RT, TE(Maybe two), another RB, another WR(possibly)

Need to sign a starting ILB, a starting corner, a starting safety, a starting OLB(and depth).

Not to mention our QB mess.

So yes, anything is possible, but don't be shocked if it does not happen. This team is a mess, and we have limited resources to fix it. Ohh well, I guess there is always the bulls to cheer for
How do you figure we need a starting ILB?? We have that in Kwit starting with Roquan.