Can This Be Fixed By Next Season?

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's what I think needs to happen....

Coaching: Replace Helfrich with an OC with NFL experience that can challenge and advise Nagy. Replace Hiestand as well. There's a number of issues on the O-Line that can be traced to coaching.

Draft: Bears need to get at least 2 starters in the draft, and ideally 4-5 to get replacements on the cheap since we do not have much cap space for free agents. We MUST get a starting RG and a TE. Bears also need to get an OLB with pass rushing skills and at least one tackle, preferably 2. But, getting 3 starting caliber linemen in a single draft without a first rounder or 3rd rounder is not likely. But, a RG and TE is. Pace needs to hit at those positions this draft.

Current roster:
Bears need to drop some expensive contracts because there's little cap space. Amukamara, Gabriel, Shaheen, Braunecker, and Long are likely suspects for roster cuts. If the Bears can land a decent FA, then Floyd could be cut too. He's one of the top paid players on the team but doesn't perform like it. The Bears have alot of UFAs on D that need to be resigned including guys like Kwiatkowski, Trevathan, Bush, Clinton-Dix, McManis, Pierre-Louis, and Williams. There's guys that need to get extended like Robinson and Jackson, but there's not that much cap space this year.

Free agency:
If they can get Shaquil Barrett or Bud Dupree at OLB, they need to drop Floyd and pay one of those guys. They would immediately improve our pass rush and would be more deserving of a big contract than Floyd. Other than that, a tackle or TE. But there wouldn't be that much money for a splash. Pace will probably have to get a CB and/or S for depth at minimum if not starters. An experienced backup QB that can compete to start is also needed.. Someone like Case Keenum.

I think in the least, if they replace OC and OL coach, draft stud TE and starting caliber RG and LT or RT, get a pass rushing OLB in FA, and make space to resign key defensive players, we have a shot at turning this around next season.
I would cut Massie, Leno and Burton as well. performance% money. If we are rebuilding, let's rebuild. Plus 2 things ; 1/Do not let Blindman Pace draft until 4thb round and 2/ how about going back to 4-3 D?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been on the gotta re-sign Trevathan bandwagon since last season, but with KPL's play this past month, we may be able to save some big $$$ and reward the young talent with a 3-4 year contract. Roquan and KPL will tear shit up.

Maybe that will put us in a better spot to overpay for a FA TE or WR.

Also, would Mack be willing to restructure? I doubt it but I hope the Bears ask!

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
And Kyle Long and hid 8M contract...too many injury issues for such big money

Yep. Bears can be players at the free agent market no doubt. Offensive side could see a 20pct roster turnover easy.

jive

Liked Posts:
I would cut Massie, Leno and Burton as well. performance% money. If we are rebuilding, let's rebuild.
Although I strongly believe we need to upgrade at those positions, it would be foolish moneywise to cut those three. They would only free up roster spaces that we would need to need to fill, while saving us no cap space. They would cost us over 25 mil in dead cap space, while freeing up only little more than $2 mil. Leno and Massie were OK last year, and if they can return to 2018 form, then we're good. But if not, then they can provide some depth until there's a better time to cut them. They are still better than Lucas, Coward, and Clemmings. Hopefully, we can draft folks that can upgrade at tackle and tight end.

Last edited:

Bear Down Canada 54

Liked Posts:
Yes. As long as the following takes place.

1. Need new play caller and scheme. Can the zone blocking run game.
2. release Floyd, Prince, and Long
3. Sign RG, LG, RT. Draft LT
4. Resign KPL, and Nick The Quick
5. Find a true STrong Safety. HCD is a free safety.
6. Stay Healthy
7. Find a kicker and resign Patterson.
8. Fire the OC, OL coach, QB Coach, DB coach.

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Although I strongly believe we need to upgrade at those positions, it would be foolish moneywise to cut those three. They would only free up roster spaces that we would need to need to fill, while saving us no cap space. They would cost us over 25 mil in dead cap space, while freeing up only little more than $2 mil. Leno and Massie were OK last year, and if they can return to 2018 form, then we're good. But if not, then they can provide some depth until there's a better time to cut them. They are still better than Lucas, Coward, and Clemmings. Hopefully, we can draft folks that can upgrade at tackle and tight end.
indeed, this dead cap space kills us. Are these standard player contracts or where they extensions signed in the hubris of last season? Honest I don't know, but having players not playing of being transparent is like dead money TO ME. Lucas coward and Clemmings are no better, I agree. We're in hell. (thanks Pace and Phillips btw}.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, not with Trubisky at QB.

I think some ppl think we can just go get a couple o-linemen, and our run game will be "fixed." I don't think that's happening.

I don't think a team that got blanked in the first half 10 times this year and only scores 17 ppg is going to get a couple of o-linemen and start scoring in bunches.

Read these posts, posters are talking about rebuilds that will take years. It would be easier to find a QB that can run Nagy's RPO.

Although I agree, RPO wont work if u cant run block...hence pathetic showings

jive

Liked Posts:
After this game, they definitely need help all along the line including the coaching. These guys whiffed against preseason players. You can see why the coaching staff was hesitant to play Bars. There's just too many positions that need an upgrade that can be done in one season. With a tight cap, and lack of draft it would be a major miracle if we can land all the right players and get them to gel by 2020. We'd have to draft 3-4 starter quality linemen with only 6-7 draft picks.

Reactions: Myk

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It can but only if there is an immediate change at the QB position

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get back injured players, make improvements on the oline, have some flexibility on the offensive game plan, yada yada yada

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We need to repair the oline. We need to lean on the running game. And we need Nagy and Trubisky to work together and figure this shit out. More Dallas game Trubisky and less of the 35+ dropback performances.

The most important with all of this being that Nagy needs to take a look in the mirror and realize that he needs to fundamentally change a lot of things about how he manages the offense, games, and the playcalling. He preached about people needing to look back at the season and learn from it, and out of everyone in the organization, he needs that shit the most.

Last edited: