Can This Be Fixed By Next Season?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
No, not with Trubisky at QB.

I think some ppl think we can just go get a couple o-linemen, and our run game will be "fixed." I don't think that's happening.

I don't think a team that got blanked in the first half 10 times this year and only scores 17 ppg is going to get a couple of o-linemen and start scoring in bunches.

Read these posts, posters are talking about rebuilds that will take years. It would be easier to find a QB that can run Nagy's RPO.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I think this team isn't as bad as it seems. The D is good enough. The O is playing much worse than any group of professional football players should. I think Nagy is the common denominator here. It's year 2 and his O has never really done much and has massively regressed this year.

The OL looks like they covered their run blocking assignments in a classroom in April and haven't mentioned then since. Maybe that's Heistand, but the guy has had a long career, if his lines were typically this bad he would be selling real estate. The talent level is lacking, but it's not bottom of the league.

I think a better OC would be getting more from this group and it would look much more fixable. I don't think they're a good off-season away from SB contenders though, not with the limited resources that they have available.

So I guess my answer is no. Not in one off-season. I expect 2020 to be more of the same 500ish football.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Need a RG, RT, TE(Maybe two), another RB, another WR(possibly)

Need to sign a starting ILB, a starting corner, a starting safety, a starting OLB(and depth).

Not to mention our QB mess.

So yes, anything is possible, but don't be shocked if it does not happen. This team is a mess, and we have limited resources to fix it. Ohh well, I guess there is always the bulls to cheer for

Double depression, Packers win the division, and the reality of this.

Going to need more than a few Christmas cheer cocktails to get through today.

MontanaXXIII

Liked Posts:
Sometimes seemingly the slightest tweaks make a huge difference. This team's main problem is scheme-based on the offensive side of the ball. Trubisky's probably always going to have those groan-worthy misses like the Robinson deep ball Sunday Night, but they also weren't 7 points away from winning that game. There are bigger problems than Trubisky, who has also shown enough flashes that you just don't know quite yet what the overall picture is with him.

Predictions:

1. Harry Hietsand will be fired. This offensive line is so uncoordinated that it'll be the first thing Nagy and Pace identify that needs to change (and Nagy and Pace will both return; this was a 12 win team a year ago, and a FG away from winning at least 1 playoff game).

2. There will be at least 3 new starting offensive linemen, as well as 2 new TEs, next year. It won't take breaking the bank...but just getting guys who fit whatever the new o-line coach's blocking scheme is.

3. Defensively, they're going to have to get another pass rusher if they want to take that next step from bend-but-don't-break to actual "championship caliber defense." I don't know if they have the cap space to do it, but Chris Jones might be a consideration to play opposite Hicks.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You realize one of those guys is a free agent?

lol.

Yea, and Kwiat has been playing great. His salary is rising every game. I won't be shocked if he ends up getting more yearly than Danny T.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
You realize one of those guys is a free agent?
Is it impossible for the Bears to sign a FA from their own team, or am I missing something??????

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
Easy to fix this team. CAM NEWTON. Draft Offense Line.

FA Pass Rusher and TE.

Get Healthy.

Return to playoffs! Win SB

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy to fix this team. CAM NEWTON. Draft Offense Line.

FA Pass Rusher and TE.

Get Healthy.

Return to playoffs! Win SB
Until Cam is injured the whole season.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Sure.

This is still the team that went 12-4 last year and would be flirting with 10 wins this year if not for some bad luck injuries and the Raiders/Chargers games.

That’s not me making excuses. What happened happened. Bad luck injuries happen. Tough losses happen. But this team, while not a Super Bowl contender right now, can definitely be a playoff team. Plus, third place schedule.

Not saying they definitely will make the playoffs next year. But with a few manageable offseason changes, I’d be shocked if they’re not right back in the picture next year, even with Trubisky under center, who they should move on from but won’t.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
CAN they improve? Sure, CAN I bed Jennifer Anniston, again, sure. Neither is all that likely though...sorry Jen.

seriously though, improve doesn't mean much. I mean they suck ass tight now, so they could probably luck into improvement. If you’re talking about being contenders for a SB next year, it’ll take a 180 in play from every single guy that regressed this year on O especially, an injury report that looks more like 18 than 19, and a little luck.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Sure.

This is still the team that went 12-4 last year and would be flirting with 10 wins this year if not for some bad luck injuries and the Raiders/Chargers games.

That’s not me making excuses. What happened happened. Bad luck injuries happen. Tough losses happen. But this team, while not a Super Bowl contender right now, can definitely be a playoff team. Plus, third place schedule.

Not saying they definitely will make the playoffs next year. But with a few manageable offseason changes, I’d be shocked if they’re not right back in the picture next year, even with Trubisky under center, who they should move on from but won’t.
I think if they just make a small improvement on O (just building around Mitch as best you can, and hoping Nagy learned something tbh), then they'll have a decent chance at finishing over .500, and thus a decent shot at making the playoffs.

Better health would help in that regard as well.

There's just no way I can see the Bears being a very good team, not with Mitch/Nagy.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
We have been one of the healthiest teams in the league this season. We went large stretches of the season with Hicks and Long (lol) as our only starters out with injury. The league getting healthy next season will make us worse relative to the league, not better.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
I don't think this offense can get any worse, so nah, I think Bears will be better next season. Just not good enough.
The Bears have had near perfect health on offense this season. Changing that alone will make the offense worse.

To say nothing of the massive falloff we will have on defense and special teams next season.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We’ll only be in year 6 of the rebuild, so no. But by 2023 we’ll only be 7 more years away from competing for 2nd place in the NFCN. Almost there!

jive

Liked Posts:
Here's what I think needs to happen....

Coaching: Replace Helfrich with an OC with NFL experience that can challenge and advise Nagy. Replace Hiestand as well. There's a number of issues on the O-Line that can be traced to coaching.

Draft: Bears need to get at least 2 starters in the draft, and ideally 4-5 to get replacements on the cheap since we do not have much cap space for free agents. We MUST get a starting RG and a TE. Bears also need to get an OLB with pass rushing skills and at least one tackle, preferably 2. But, getting 3 starting caliber linemen in a single draft without a first rounder or 3rd rounder is not likely. But, a RG and TE is. Pace needs to hit at those positions this draft.

Current roster:
Bears need to drop some expensive contracts because there's little cap space. Amukamara, Gabriel, Shaheen, Braunecker, and Long are likely suspects for roster cuts. If the Bears can land a decent FA, then Floyd could be cut too. He's one of the top paid players on the team but doesn't perform like it. The Bears have alot of UFAs on D that need to be resigned including guys like Kwiatkowski, Trevathan, Bush, Clinton-Dix, McManis, Pierre-Louis, and Williams. There's guys that need to get extended like Robinson and Jackson, but there's not that much cap space this year.

Free agency:
If they can get Shaquil Barrett or Bud Dupree at OLB, they need to drop Floyd and pay one of those guys. They would immediately improve our pass rush and would be more deserving of a big contract than Floyd. Other than that, a tackle or TE. But there wouldn't be that much money for a splash. Pace will probably have to get a CB and/or S for depth at minimum if not starters. An experienced backup QB that can compete to start is also needed.. Someone like Case Keenum.

I think in the least, if they replace OC and OL coach, draft stud TE and starting caliber RG and LT or RT, get a pass rushing OLB in FA, and make space to resign key defensive players, we have a shot at turning this around next season.

Last edited: