Can we talk about Trey Burton?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I don't know. I feel the injury maybe knocked him out of his rhythm, because he was pretty good last year.

But as Pegger and remy noted, he's not worth the pay. I think the Bears have reached a lot on offense in the past couple years (Shaheen, Trubisky, Burton, Miller, possibly Montgomery), and it gave some of us a false sense of confidence in the O. I still have hope that a couple of the guys I listed could put something together (Trubisky, Burton, Miller), but I think it's clear that they won't be what we had hoped.

Trubisky has the talent and the drive, but he struggles with accuracy and processing the game. I still think he could play at an average to above average level, but he won't be a star.

Burton has shown that he can play at an above average level but mental and physical issues can really derail anybody.

Miller definitely has talent but the guy's a bit of a head case. He just doesn't do a good job of controlling his emotions, if you pay attention you'll see that he's yelling shit to the guy covering him after every catch he makes.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ohh im not saying that, but at least he was decent. He's went from being above average to a low tier starter man.

Not sure 8 million a year for decent is a smart move. Especially when it is followed up by shit. He is moving from being grossly overpaid to being horrendously overpaid.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Wow first mom jokes and then SNL ripoff jokes from 25 years ago. What will he/she “come up with” next?

Guaranteed Ms Adows still uses this joke:

giphy.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He looks like a broken down bag of garbage. His blocking effort has been pathetic.

Looks like a massive over pay.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the coaches in general show too much loyalty to keeping starters starting. Burton, Long, not pulling Roquan for Nick last game etc. Next guy up and get young guys reps if they aren't clearly worse. They tend to get better that way.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I don't know. I feel the injury maybe knocked him out of his rhythm, because he was pretty good last year.

But as Pegger and remy noted, he's not worth the pay. I think the Bears have reached a lot on offense in the past couple years (Shaheen, Trubisky, Burton, Miller, possibly Montgomery), and it gave some of us a false sense of confidence in the O. I still have hope that a couple of the guys I listed could put something together (Trubisky, Burton, Miller), but I think it's clear that they won't be what we had hoped.

Trubisky has the talent and the drive, but he struggles with accuracy and processing the game. I still think he could play at an average to above average level, but he won't be a star.

Burton has shown that he can play at an above average level but mental and physical issues can really derail anybody.

Miller definitely has talent but the guy's a bit of a head case. He just doesn't do a good job of controlling his emotions, if you pay attention you'll see that he's yelling shit to the guy covering him after every catch he makes.

Trey Burton is the single biggest piece of evidence that I think you can point to that shows Nagy has been figured out.

Last year he had 54 catches 569 yards and 6 TDs.

However, in the first half of the season alone, he had 29 catches 371 yards and 5 tds. In other words, 54% of his catches, 65% of his yards, and 83% of his TDs came in his first 8 games.

Since then he's been largely ineffective. It suggests to me that teams learned the gimmicks that Nagy was using to get him open and stopping them.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
He was paid to be a top 10 TE, last season he was probably in the 10-12 range. You can live with a slight overpay. This year he may not even be in the top 32. The TE is one of the best tools for a "safety valve" in the short & intermediate passing game, especially for scrub QBs like the Bears unfortunately have. Bears have invested so many resources into the TEs on their roster, still don't have a guy who "beats a LB in coverage, blocks out a DB on runs".

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Lombardi was on the radio this morning, talking about the Patriot Way. They take other teams trash and turn it into gold through accountability. They have zero problem demoting or cutting a player that is not producing. Why can’t other teams see this? You simply cannot have untouchable players, they need to approach every week as fighting for their jobs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We should be talking about when we can cut him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Trey Burton is the single biggest piece of evidence that I think you can point to that shows Nagy has been figured out.

Last year he had 54 catches 569 yards and 6 TDs.

However, in the first half of the season alone, he had 29 catches 371 yards and 5 tds. In other words, 54% of his catches, 65% of his yards, and 83% of his TDs came in his first 8 games.

Since then he's been largely ineffective. It suggests to me that teams learned the gimmicks that Nagy was using to get him open and stopping them.

I still stand by my opinion that nagy hasn't really been "figured out".

Issue is we cant run block OR pass block. That means we don't have time to throw, or read the field for the QB. That means a defense can just play up to stop those short screens and the run game.

Last year Mitch was very aggressive downfield, and we threw it downfield a lot. This year, its very rare to see. Hard to have a west coast offense work when you can't stretch the field horizontally at all. So now the things that worked last year, don't this year. Those screens used to work, I'd venture to bet if we got a couple 20+ yard throws in a game they will open up again in that game.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
Burton...
The heart says yes.
The groin says no.
The mind is cowering in the corner under a blanket, scared.
The pocketbook says ye hah lol.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We should be talking about when we can cut him.

Pace usually leaves himself an out with these free agent contracts. Since you have the off-season spread sheets what are the costs of dumping some of these bad contracts like

Leno
Long
Burton
Gabriel

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace usually leaves himself an out with these free agent contracts. Since you have the off-season spread sheets what are the costs of dumping some of these bad contracts like

Leno
Long
Burton
Gabriel

Leno: Save 3 [7 dead]
Long: Save 7ish [1 dead]
Burton: Save 1 [7 dead]
Gabriel: Save 4.5 [2 dead]

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:

Leno
Long
Burton
Gabriel
What about Chase "I know, but cannot do" Daniel? Surely there is an equally effective, or equally ineffective backup for cheaper?