canceled direct tv after 18 years(Bears games)

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I canceled direct tv after 18 years, only really had it for the Bears, but just don't see the point in paying for tv I don't watch...is there any other options(ways)to see the Bears play?

Thanks, and Bear down!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Where you at?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been struggling with this for a while. My current solution for the past couple years has been this;

I only activate my directv account during football season. When it’s inactive, it doesn’t cost me anything. So basically I only pay for 6mo of directv a year. On top of that I call them and they either give me Sunday Ticket for free or half off. I do this because I like to DVR the games in case I can’t be home for them, or if I want to watch a game more than once. It’s not the best solution, but it works.

If you plan on only watching them live, then you can go to reddit and find a link to the live broadcast 99.9% of the time.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
subscribe to Sony Vue or Youtube TV via a vpn that leads to Chicago. You can get all the local Chicago stations.

You can replace cable completely.

I subscribe to Sony Vue, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and HBO....I get all the crap on TV I need including Bears games for $90 a month

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
The easy and free way (No doubt it's illegal but has been around for a long time and hasn't been shut down)-
Reddit NFL streams

The grey (probably still illegal) ways-
1) Use a VPN that tricks Gamepass into thinking you aren't in the US
2) or any number of other streaming services to thinking you are in Chicago.

The legal ways-
1) pay several hundred dollars (I got it for $85 last year with someone's college info and a coupon code) to get Sunday ticket streaming (may not be available to addresses that are eligible for DirecTV). You will also need another streaming service for local broadcasts.
2) DirecTV with Sunday ticket. You are already familiar with this option.
3) Local Bears bar. Might not be an option for you.
4) NFL Gamepass ($100) replays all games shortly after they air. Can't watch regular season games live though if you are in the US.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So basically I only pay for 6mo of directv a year. On top of that I call them and they either give me Sunday Ticket for free or half off.

So every six months you are cancelling your service, but they still willingly give you a huge discount on the one thing you keep coming back for?

I need to get a job with Direct TV. They have been apparently hiring nothing but pushovers for years now. Get me on these phones with these football scamming cheapskates. I will shoot you down so hard...you will be paying extra on your bill and thank me for it.

I will be the DTV CEO in under a year.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ohio, so I'll be lucky to see 4, maybe 5 games

I couldn't imagine not watching every game live. But you are underestimating, at least 6 or 7 games already will be nationally televised, and I am sure more.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So every six months you are cancelling your service, but they still willingly give you a huge discount on the one thing you keep coming back for?

I need to get a job with Direct TV. They have been apparently hiring nothing but pushovers for years now. Get me on these phones with these football scamming cheapskates. I will shoot you down so hard...you will be paying extra on your bill and thank me for it.

I will be the DTV CEO in under a year.

I don’t cancel, I disable it.

Do you pay full sticker price for your vehicles? Or are you one of those cheapskates that negotiate a better deal?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The easy and free way (No doubt it's illegal but has been around for a long time and hasn't been shut down)-
Reddit NFL streams

The grey (probably still illegal) ways-
1) Use a VPN that tricks Gamepass into thinking you aren't in the US
2) or any number of other streaming services to thinking you are in Chicago.

The legal ways-
1) pay several hundred dollars (I got it for $85 last year with someone's college info and a coupon code) to get Sunday ticket streaming (may not be available to addresses that are eligible for DirecTV). You will also need another streaming service for local broadcasts.
2) DirecTV with Sunday ticket. You are already familiar with this option.
3) Local Bears bar. Might not be an option for you.
4) NFL Gamepass ($100) replays all games shortly after they air. Can't watch regular season games live though if you are in the US.

Number 1 is probably a bit more of a grey area......

Using a VPN isn't illegal.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would hazard a guess that all NFL games will be coming to Amazon soon enough.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Using a VPN isn't illegal.
Probably violating some contract with the streaming service though in misrepresenting your location.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Probably violating some contract with the streaming service though in misrepresenting your location.
It's free TV with commercials. I doubt the Network cares one lick. Local stations are provided in streaming services as a convenience to clients. It's not a pay for service. Just value added to maintain a client base.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t cancel, I disable it.

Do you pay full sticker price for your vehicles? Or are you one of those cheapskates that negotiate a better deal?

I am not sure what the difference is, but I will rephrase that to "paying for half of the year".

The car thing is a bad analogy as that is a one time purchase. This is more akin to demanding a heavy discount on ice cream at the sotre down the street from your summer vacation home. They only see you when everyone wants ice cream, but you want it for free?

Happy you all are getting away with it, but if I were your DTV CSR...I would be literally LOLing at you.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just a PSA on Reddit. Last year one of the soccer live streaming subreddits got shut down by Reddit. I think maybe nbastreams too.

r/nflstreams got nervous that it might happen to them this season, so they created a discord channel to distribute links in case it does. There should be a thread over there with a link to join.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been struggling with this for a while. My current solution for the past couple years has been this;

I only activate my directv account during football season. When it’s inactive, it doesn’t cost me anything. So basically I only pay for 6mo of directv a year. On top of that I call them and they either give me Sunday Ticket for free or half off. I do this because I like to DVR the games in case I can’t be home for them, or if I want to watch a game more than once. It’s not the best solution, but it works.

If you plan on only watching them live, then you can go to reddit and find a link to the live broadcast 99.9% of the time.

Reddit is heavily censoring streams now. Likely won't be available this upcoming season.