car stereo question

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a new media player head unit coming for my car. </p>

This one plays FLAC files  so I figured I would re-rip all of my music (huge project) to FLAC for the higher sound quality for my higher quality sound system.</p>

Full albums are coming out to ~ 500MB each.</p>

That means I can only fit 32 albums on my phone and then I have to get rid of almost everything else on it.</p>

</p>

Has anyone used an external drive that only takes power from the USB plugged into their car stereo?</p>

Success or failure?</p>

I'm thinking a 1TB drive would hold ~2000 albums and should be good for me.  And damn! Electronic stuff like that is CHEAP these days!</p>

</p>

I could probably email tech support of the company's product I am eyeing, but I would rather ask hockey fans first.  I could be talking to a football or baseball fan from tech support for all the fuck I know.</p>

Or maybe could just buy and send back if doesn't work.</p>

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck you guys!</p>

</p>

Everything I've read leads me to believe stereo can power the drive through the USB.</p>

</p>

This is awesome!</p>

I used to be REALLY BAD about filling my backseat and such with scattered CDs. </p>

Now I can fit ~ 2000 albums right under my head unit. </p>

</p>

I'll probably get head unit installed this weekend.  Got speakers in Saturday. sounds much better so far.  I took several long country drives rocking out and feeling stoned. :romance-threesome:</p>

Music runs up and down my spine these days even before upgrade.  Hope I don't crash my fucking car or punch my windshield in some musical spasm!</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, it depends on the drive.  I know that old laptop drives can be powere from USB alone.  IMHO the cheapast solution would be to cannibalize an old laptop 2.5" drive, buy a usb enclosure for it and use that.</p>

</p>

I do know a buddy of mine at one point managed to actually wire in a 3.5" drive into the car proper, so it was powered off of the car itself.</p>

</p>

Depending on your phone model, you might be able to stuff a 32 gig MicroSD card into it for music storage and just bluetooth it over--that's what my wife does.</p>

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
32 gig!?! No way that will cut it! </p>

I've been ripping to 16 bit FLAC at around 325-500mb per cd.</p>

Pretty sure my drive will work fine.</p>

Digging around to find all of my old original CDs to re-rip has been maddening!</p>

I have found lots of stuff that I forgot I even had, but I am missing two albums that are very important to me, and are now OUT OF PRINT!</p>

Being obscure progressive/neo-Canterbury, none of my friends around here have either.</p>

But some of us in the prog community are pretty tight.  I'll find someone to mail me the CDs themselves or rip to FLAC and email me.</p>

I still have my original MP3 rips, but fuck that!  I want lossless sound!</p>

32 GB!?!?!</p>

I have 18gb just of Dream Theater and The Flower Kings and I'm not even done ripping yet.</p>

</p>

Was always notorious for having backseat full of scatter CDs, now I can fit ~2000 in slot under head unit.</p>

Technology is pretty cool sometimes, eh?</p>

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It works!</p>

The only thing left to do now is keep adding albums to my drive, I am at around 100 now, and to put a piece of electrical tape over the tiny white flashing light on my drive.</p>

Hooray!</p>