Cardinals Acquire Jason Heyward

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins to Atlanta. Jordan Walden also heading to STL.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
For all the talk here in St. Louis with fans wanting Heyward, I was expecting to see he was a much better hitter than he is.

Excellent defender, but he hit .271 with 11 HR and 58 RBI.

FA after 2015.

I know nothing of Jenkins or Walden.

Cards can afford to trade pitching due to their depth. Miller did well last year - especially in the 2nd half - but they will replace him with quality.

And for all their starting pitching depth, I wouldn't rule out a FA acquisition by them either.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This is a typical cardinals move. I think they just got a player in the mold of Holliday/Edmonds...etc I'm not sure if Miller was giving up too much or not but I think Heyward is a good get for them. Kinda sad the cubs could get him actually.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Heyward is almost the perfect player in the eyes of the sabermetrics. I think his power will further develop. The good news is he is set on hitting FA, so maybe it's just a 1-year thing in STL.

Jenkins is the Cards #14 prospect according to MLB.com

Don't know Walden, stats are good though. Braves didn't want to give Heyward the monster deal, hurts them next year but Miller also has a lot of potential as well, and gives them much more control. Cards had pitching depth, and that's what the Braves wanted. No surprise the Cubs couldn't make a deal with them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
MLB Network discussing him now, saying he "could become multiple MVP winner".

He had fewer HR's than Alcantara last year.

OPS of <700.

Yes, he may blossom. And being on the Cards, I now expect him to explode and be great, because that shit happens for them somehow.

But Cards fans have been wishing for Stanton, Upton or Heyward. They got a guy who is decidedly the least of those three.

It helps the Cards most likely, but if this is their big move, I am happy. I expected better for them.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Walden was the closer for the Angel's when he came up. He was decent earlier in his career but I haven't really followed him. As for Heyward being a FA, the cardinals don't make this move if they don't have the ability to re-sign him. I assume he'll be there for the next 10 or so years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would think they'll be trying to re-sign him.

I can't figure out why MLB Network is discussing his value "now that Stanton signed for $325".

Why on earth are these two in the same discussion?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Damn.. cubs couldn't offer anything better for him.. hey we got Le Stella

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Walden was the closer for the Angel's when he came up. He was decent earlier in his career but I haven't really followed him. As for Heyward being a FA, the cardinals don't make this move if they don't have the ability to re-sign him. I assume he'll be there for the next 10 or so years.

MLBN saying the Cardinals wanted a guy with a short contract because they don't want to be blocking anyone. They expect him to hit the market, but have a shot at him if things go well

Damn.. cubs couldn't offer anything better for him.. hey we got Le Stella

Braves wanted MLB ready pitching. Cubs don't have that to offer

I would think they'll be trying to re-sign him.

I can't figure out why MLB Network is discussing his value "now that Stanton signed for $325".

Why on earth are these two in the same discussion?

I think Stanton's deal changes the entire market. Especially for a young OF like Heyward. I don't think they were comparing the players themselves

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
MLBN saying the Cardinals wanted a guy with a short contract because they don't want to be blocking anyone. They expect him to hit the market, but have a shot at him if things go well

I don't really see who he'd be blocking. I know you're just relaying info but Stephen Piscotty is their only big time OF prospect. Holliday only has 2 years plus an option year left on his contract. So, presumably you can play around with that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyward multiple MVP's? No. He would never have the power or average to beat out the big sluggers. Heyward is a good baseball player just going into his early prime years. Im not a huge fan of his because I think people overrated him ever since he came in the league. I think its pretty obvious the Cards made this deal because of Taveras death. Its kind of a weird deal considering the Braves wouldnt do him for Shark. Maybe they wanted a cost controlled pitcher.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't liked him since his first MLB AB. Fucking Zambrano threw a bean ball.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Cardinals might miss Shelby Miller in rotation. .
Who do they have to replace him

They can pick up Jason Hammel or Liriano and not miss a beat all while upgrading the outfield defensively and remember, they only owe John Lackey 500k for next year.

Throw this left handed package of Jay, Carpenter, Wong, Heyward, and Adams at right handed pitching. I think it speaks volumes, and people wonder how they stay competitive?

They seem to always be a step ahead of everyone.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can pick up Jason Hammel or Liriano and not miss a beat all while upgrading the outfield defensively and remember, they only owe John Lackey 500k for next year.

Throw this left handed package of Jay, Carpenter, Wong, Heyward, and Adams at right handed pitching. I think it speaks volumes, and people wonder how they stay competitive?

They seem to always be a step ahead of everyone.

this.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The cards have
Wainwright
Lance Lynn
John Lackey
Michael Wacha
Jaime Garcia
Carlos Martinez - a youngster expected to step into the rotation. highly regarded.
And one other i am forgetting - Gonzalez?

They had 7 options for their rotation yesterday, so Miller was expendable.

And I would not rule out an acquisition. They made two last year (with not so great results), but it showed they're willing to keep looking at additions.

Mozeliak said they felt they had to make a move with the events of the offseason (Taveras). It is a good gamble for them, given what they have and what they need.

As for blocking prospects, I guess they mean Piscotty and Grichuk?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The cards have
Wainwright
Lance Lynn
John Lackey
Michael Wacha
Jaime Garcia
Carlos Martinez - a youngster expected to step into the rotation. highly regarded.
And one other i am forgetting - Gonzalez?

They had 7 options for their rotation yesterday, so Miller was expendable.

And I would not rule out an acquisition. They made two last year (with not so great results), but it showed they're willing to keep looking at additions.

Mozeliak said they felt they had to make a move with the events of the offseason (Taveras). It is a good gamble for them, given what they have and what they need.

As for blocking prospects, I guess they mean Piscotty and Grichuk?

If you hate the Cardinals now, besides who I mentioned above, what if the Cardinals landed one of the big three? Don't think for a minute that they don't have the funds to do so, because they were going to go 200 million plus for Pujols.

Is it unlikely that they go long for a pitcher? Yes. But if they landed James Shields.....maybe?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If you hate the Cardinals now, besides who I mentioned above, what if the Cardinals landed one of the big three? Don't think for a minute that they don't have the funds to do so, because they were going to go 200 million plus for Pujols.

Is it unlikely that they go long for a pitcher? Yes. But if they landed James Shields.....maybe?

I would be THRILLED if the Cards spent big $ on James Shields.

I am worried that the Cubs might.

Shields has no value to me. Many other directions I'd like to see the Cubs go.

Lester, Scherzer, Hammels, Masterson.....at different $ and years, of course - but any of those are preferable to me, based on what i assume Shields will cost.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I would be THRILLED if the Cards spent big $ on James Shields.

I am worried that the Cubs might.

Shields has no value to me. Many other directions I'd like to see the Cubs go.

Lester, Scherzer, Hammels, Masterson.....at different $ and years, of course - but any of those are preferable to me, based on what i assume Shields will cost.

Oh I agree. But also, figure the teams that are not looking for pitching as we think like the Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners, Phillies, and maybe the Tigers.

Then throw in the Red Sox, White Sox maybe, Rangers, Blue Jays, Braves, Orioles? as potential teams that may be looking, and some who can throw more than just money at them.

It is a tough nut to crack, and eventually, the Cubs are going to have to deal out of the prospects pool to get pitching. The big boys aren't going to be on the sidelines for very long either which makes it even harder.

I guess a name that we fail to mention is Maeda. He remains a possibility I guess.

Liked Posts:
For all the talk here in St. Louis with fans wanting Heyward, I was expecting to see he was a much better hitter than he is.

Excellent defender, but he hit .271 with 11 HR and 58 RBI.

FA after 2015.

I know nothing of Jenkins or Walden.

Cards can afford to trade pitching due to their depth. Miller did well last year - especially in the 2nd half - but they will replace him with quality.

And for all their starting pitching depth, I wouldn't rule out a FA acquisition by them either.

He's a talent but he has holes in his swing.