Carmelo Anthony "Farewell Tour"

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Rose could have been responsible for behind the scenes "whispers" as much as GarPax or Thibs.

We are talking about "whispers" without knowing the subject of them. I would think behind the scenes "thugs" and "rape" whether true or not, fair or not, etc...those kind of whispers can damage chances a free agent wants to hook his train up to your situation.

What other kind of whispers make you back out of a free agent fit? "Thibs works us too hard." "The owners are cheap."

Or power politics on the team. Outside of that what is the damaging gossip?
I always found it funny, when Wade was interviewed later about the fateful decision, that he and lebron would have come here if there was a third. I believe Rose just won MVP.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I always found it funny, when Wade was interviewed later about the fateful decision, that he and lebron would have come here if there was a third. I believe Rose just won MVP.

We could and probably would have got all three if they wanted to come here. I believe we even had the Clippers who wanted Deng on standby. Miami was always the landing spot - nice weather and no income tax.

Last edited:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
And yet, whatever he scored, it would not be significantly more than his counterpart on the opposing team, because he never defended.

He was not a guy who played winning basketball. He played “let me score” bball with no interest in D and no concern for valuing possessions on offense. Shoot as many times as necessary to get your points.

It is not at all surprising he only got past the first round twice. He never did anything with winning in mind.

Kind of a rich-man’s Lavine.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Melo just didn't understand and embrace what he was...he gravitated toward people that told him he was more than what he was.

If he would have ever truly embraced himself and become the best version of the best role he could play on a basketball court he could have been noticed a bit more...but as it was he just became part of a broken Knicks story and didn't get himself out of Denver situation really fast enough, or the Knicks situation...and that was hit..he got his two shots at relevance and never turned into a championship chaser until it was too late and even then he couldn't understand what he really was and how best to impact a game with his skill set and athletic limitations. He never maximized his athletic limitations either. He had durability and strength but traditionally allowed his weaknesses as an athlete to overcome his body and impact his game negatively.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Melo just didn't understand and embrace what he was...he gravitated toward people that told him he was more than what he was.

If he would have ever truly embraced himself and become the best version of the best role he could play on a basketball court he could have been noticed a bit more...but as it was he just became part of a broken Knicks story and didn't get himself out of Denver situation really fast enough, or the Knicks situation...and that was hit..he got his two shots at relevance and never turned into a championship chaser until it was too late and even then he couldn't understand what he really was and how best to impact a game with his skill set and athletic limitations. He never maximized his athletic limitations either. He had durability and strength but traditionally allowed his weaknesses as an athlete to overcome his body and impact his game negatively.

Carmelo Anthony was like how Scottie Pippen's career would have turned out if Pippen spent 17 years playing as if Toni Kukoc was getting the final shot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carmelo Anthony was like how Scottie Pippen's career would have turned out if Pippen spent 17 years playing as if Toni Kukoc was getting the final shot.
Well said.
He returned to Madison Square Garden to die basically. He got Nolan'ed . His career was plenty interesting in Denver, but he just needed to mature as a player some....looked like he could have been great if he worked harder and joined with the right people...

instead he goes to the Knicks in a totally dead era for them where they lack sense and luck and a third scorer the entire time he is there.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so hall of famer?

yeah...actually, in the NBA Melo is an interesting case. He makes the Hall of Fame, but because he won a national championship dropping tears from the sky for Syracuse, and because if you look at the history of U.S.A. basketball you will notice the U.S.A. extended its dominance an extra decade because Melo saved them time and time again. Seriously...there are some great NBA talent international teams that would have lost if not for Melo.

I think his being one of the most decorated olympian basketball players of all time and college chip will put him in the "Basketball Hall of Fame." And guys like Coach K and Beiheim will be the ones pounding the table for it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is the basketball HOF not the NBA accolades HOF, so yeah, Melo probably gets in based on his college and international career