Cast Iron Cooking

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Smashburgers are amazing on cast iron. I think today I'm gonna fry some fish and chips in the dutch oven.

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
A few years ago one of my nephews got into cast iron cooking in a big way.

His current hobby is frequenting garage/estate sales and grabbing every cast iron piece he can find and restoring them, which he then hands out to family members at Christmas, birthdays, pretty much any occasion that requires gift giving.

As a consequence I now have multiple pieces of cast iron cookware, most decades old, and I'm never going back.

Stuff is just awesome, sous vide a steak and reverse sear in a ripping hot cast iron pan... nothing better.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Love cast Iron. I used to have a ton more, but like most people, you settle on what you like and get rid of the rest. 80% of my cooking is between cast iron and true corning pyroceram because they both distribute heat so differently.

I have a griswold square utility and cauldron, a bunch of vintage wagners, one lodge 15" that I use more for shep pie-like meals than on a burner.

A friend turned me onto "grill pan and press" sets. It *might* be my most used cast-iron piece now. Sears a piece of meat better than anything I have ever used on a range top, even though it was designed for paninis. I have one from Staub and a Mario Batali one, both work the same, but the staub is slightly lighter. I can not reccomend these style of cast iron pans enough, just so many uses, and works better than buying a standalone grill-press because the sets are mated to each other.

Lastly, once you master the art of maintaining the seasoning, you can go for a LIFETIME without stripping and re-seasoning. Especially if you know how to use steel cleaners (chainmail, proper stainless wools). It's a hump worth getting over.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Love cast Iron. I used to have a ton more, but like most people, you settle on what you like and get rid of the rest. 80% of my cooking is between cast iron and true corning pyroceram because they both distribute heat so differently.

I have a griswold square utility and cauldron, a bunch of vintage wagners, one lodge 15" that I use more for shep pie-like meals than on a burner.

A friend turned me onto "grill pan and press" sets. It *might* be my most used cast-iron piece now. Sears a piece of meat better than anything I have ever used on a range top, even though it was designed for paninis. I have one from Staub and a Mario Batali one, both work the same, but the staub is slightly lighter. I can not reccomend these style of cast iron pans enough, just so many uses, and works better than buying a standalone grill-press because the sets are mated to each other.

Lastly, once you master the art of maintaining the seasoning, you can go for a LIFETIME without stripping and re-seasoning. Especially if you know how to use steel cleaners (chainmail, proper stainless wools). It's a hump worth getting over.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fish and chips tonight (and I'm a pretty harsh critic of myself):

Fries, probably about a 9. Arguably in the conversation for the best fries I've ever had, definitely the best I've ever made. I double fried in peanut oil. First round at 325 to get them cooked well internally for maybe 4 mins. Then fried for a second round at 375-400 to get the exterior browned and a nice crust formed. Immediately hit them with sea salt while they were still hot / oily and allowed to cool on a raised rack of a baking sheet.

Fish, probably about a 6-7 by my standards, but everyone else thought it was great. I used a two step process - seasoned flour dry coat (flour, cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dill) and then a wet batter (flour, cornstarch, beer, and pickle juice). Coated with seasoned flour, into the wet mixture, then dropped into the fry oil ~350 degrees. It was just ok. I want to add more spices for sure next time.

Homemade tartar sauce, again, ok. I used plain greek yogurt, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt, Worcestershire, finely chopped pickle and salt for this. I was trying to keep the fat content down, but I definitely would use sour cream next time. At this point, what's the difference really? Once again, everyone loved it, but I was pretty meh. Maybe another 6-7.

I rarely fry anything, so overall I'd call it success...but there are definitely things to improve upon.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have a few cast iron pieces, one that gets used so frequently it lives on the stove. It's a quemal so basically a flat iron piece with a very small lip on it.

One issue is that the bottom got a rust spot, I want to fix and re season.

Any good link for a process for getting it right again? I'm thinking sanding/brushing the spot off then oiling and seasoning in the oven. The strange part is that it's the bottom so not the cooking area so I'm not concerned about building a flavor base, just sealing it. Any advice?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fish and chips tonight (and I'm a pretty harsh critic of myself):

Fries, probably about a 9. Arguably in the conversation for the best fries I've ever had, definitely the best I've ever made. I double fried in peanut oil. First round at 325 to get them cooked well internally for maybe 4 mins. Then fried for a second round at 375-400 to get the exterior browned and a nice crust formed. Immediately hit them with sea salt while they were still hot / oily and allowed to cool on a raised rack of a baking sheet.

Fish, probably about a 6-7 by my standards, but everyone else thought it was great. I used a two step process - seasoned flour dry coat (flour, cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dill) and then a wet batter (flour, cornstarch, beer, and pickle juice). Coated with seasoned flour, into the wet mixture, then dropped into the fry oil ~350 degrees. It was just ok. I want to add more spices for sure next time.

Homemade tartar sauce, again, ok. I used plain greek yogurt, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt, Worcestershire, finely chopped pickle and salt for this. I was trying to keep the fat content down, but I definitely would use sour cream next time. At this point, what's the difference really? Once again, everyone loved it, but I was pretty meh. Maybe another 6-7.

I rarely fry anything, so overall I'd call it success...but there are definitely things to improve upon.

"finely chopped pickle" Well played, we have a jar of relish in the fridge for some reason, but anytime I need relish I chop up a pickle. Also for my tartar I go with 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, I know mayo is gross, but it works.

Pickle juice in the batter, never heard of that, I like it, any chance to add flavor..

"I want to add more spices for sure next time" really, more spices, because that seems like a lot: Cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, beer, and pickle juice. Maybe larger amounts of the same spices, that really does seem like a lot of spices.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a few cast iron pieces, one that gets used so frequently it lives on the stove. It's a quemal so basically a flat iron piece with a very small lip on it.

Any good link for a process for getting it right again? I'm thinking sanding/brushing the spot off then oiling and seasoning in the oven. The strange part is that it's the bottom so not the cooking area so I'm not concerned about building a flavor base, just sealing it. Any advice?
If you can get a fire going in your back yard with a lot of red hot coals, set the iron in there. Or maybe a bag of charcoal might work. Season it with lard

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
"finely chopped pickle" Well played, we have a jar of relish in the fridge for some reason, but anytime I need relish I chop up a pickle. Also for my tartar I go with 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, I know mayo is gross, but it works.

Pickle juice in the batter, never heard of that, I like it, any chance to add flavor..

"I want to add more spices for sure next time" really, more spices, because that seems like a lot: Cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, beer, and pickle juice. Maybe larger amounts of the same spices, that really does seem like a lot of spices.
Thanks for the tip on the mayo and sour cream, I think that would work. Will try it next time.

And yeah, better stated would be larger quantities of what I already used. I don't feel like I need to add anything else...just bump the volume. I felt like the flavor profile was there, just needed more of it.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It really just depends on how bad the spot is. If it's really rusty try soaking the whole pan in 50/50 vinegar and water for like a day, then hitting it with some steel wool while rinsing, then warm the pan, coat with a of bit of oil, and stick in the oven at like 500 for an hour and let it come down to room temp on it's own. Maybe like 1.5-2hrs. If it persists, repeat the process minus the vinegar step. Just brush with steel wool while rinsing, get it bone dry, warm it up, oil, then bake on high heat again.

If it's not that bad, skip the vinegar step.

Make sure the oil layer is thin. Apply liberally, but then try and get it as dry as possible before putting in high heat. Do that for a few cycles, and you'll likely be golden.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks for the tip on the mayo and sour cream, I think that would work. Will try it next time.

And yeah, better stated would be larger quantities of what I already used. I don't feel like I need to add anything else...just bump the volume. I felt like the flavor profile was there, just needed more of it.

Yeah, that seasoning combo sounds outstanding, just a bit more of everything.

When you up the fish seasoning you will have some heat, maybe add some sweet to the sour tartar sauce with honey or agave.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really just depends on how bad the spot is. If it's really rusty try soaking the whole pan in 50/50 vinegar and water for like a day, then hitting it with some steel wool while rinsing, then warm the pan, coat with a of bit of oil, and stick in the oven at like 500 for an hour and let it come down to room temp on it's own. Maybe like 1.5-2hrs. If it persists, repeat the process minus the vinegar step. Just brush with steel wool while rinsing, get it bone dry, warm it up, oil, then bake on high heat again.

If it's not that bad, skip the vinegar step.

Make sure the oil layer is thin. Apply liberally, but then try and get it as dry as possible before putting in high heat. Do that for a few cycles, and you'll likely be golden.
Attach files
Yeah this is a better way to do it for you @Burque , i have to remember not everyone can have a raging fire in there yard .
But thats how i would have re-seasoned mine......................if i still had one

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Note: the cast iron nerds all insist on flax seed oil, but I use plain old veg oil or crisco and it works just fine in my experience so far...

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Note: the cast iron nerds all insist on flax seed oil, but I use plain old veg oil or crisco and it works just fine in my experience so far...

I honestly believe that Crisco gives you the best results for early seasoning sessions. It's creates a full coat with far less mess.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How often do you season a relatively new piece? Is this like something you need to do regularly or just on an as needed basis?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How often do you season a relatively new piece? Is this like something you need to do regularly or just on an as needed basis?

Depends on the results of the first go around.

The two I got from Aldi...both still had too much meat sticking to them after the initial seasoning. One I did another time and I was happy. The other has those grilling ridges on them...that I put through the process three times before I was getting a good non-stick surface.

The old eight inch...I scrubbed the hell out of it when he left it behind in pretty poor shape. After that...one go in the oven and it was perfection.

Now I just give them little oil baths when I have the time and that is it. Have not done a true seasoning in years.

Should I???

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You always season after each use, at least I do. After cooking rinse with super hot water, scrub down with a brush, and get rid of anything sticking to it, warm and get bone dry, then lightly coat with oil. I never use soap personally, but there are different schools of thought on that. At least that's what I do...

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You always season after each use, at least I do. After cooking rinse with super hot water, scrub down with a brush, and get rid of anything sticking to it, warm and get bone dry, then lightly coat with oil. I never use soap personally, but there are different schools of thought on that. At least that's what I do...
Cool, that's what I do. I haven't done and oven seasoning since I got it, about a year ago. I did two rounds with it in the oven and it worked well. Now, I do what you do after each use.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never use soap personally, but there are different schools of thought on that.

Yep.

There is the school of thought where you do not use soap on the skillet and then there is the school of thought where you get smacked in the face if you do use soap on the skillet.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I had a skillet that was completely destroyed. My step son literally almost burned our house down with it while we were on vacation. Had temp damage, and a ton of rust after that little fiasco. After a bunch of elbow grease and grinding at it with oil and kosher salt, then multiple seasonings and baking it in the oven at high heat, it looks almost new again. It's in there right now actually. I think after this cycle it will be just about there. I really wish I had taken a before pic of this skillet, because I'm actually damn proud of my efforts to bring it back to life.