Cast Iron Cooking

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have several cast iron pieces but only two get used regularly, and they do almost all of our cooking. I’ve got the standard Lodge skillet that’s about 10 years old now and a double sided griddle that only really gets used when we make breakfast-y stuff. I bought a nice Le Creusetenamel lined French oven for my wife several years ago too that makes a badass cheesy Brussels sprouts dish. When my grandmother passed away I got a small skillet that was always on top of her stove. It’s now always on top of my stove and gets used all the time.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I like my collection and take pride in how everything has evolved. But IDGAF how people maintain their cast iron, so as long as they *try*. You will notice a huge disconnect between people who understand there is a learning curve, and those who are impatient. Sorry, yes, it takes effort to learn something, but once you do, it opens the world up for you.

I do the BBG method. Burn clean, bees wax and ghee blend. I used to do electrolysis in a hard anodizing cell, which strips as good as anything, but its just too much maintenance if you don't have a lot to work with. Self-Clean on an oven is also good, lye oven cleaner is the only one that IMO should be avoided because it will pit the iron quicker. Flaxseed oil is great on paper, but not even a top-5 in practice. Whatever though, everyone's an expert on cast iron, that is just how these communities work.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have a cast iron flat top and a cast iron skillet that I use. Love both. Hardly cook on anything else now

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
20190923_175624.jpg

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jalapenos and cheddar in there?

Jalapenos for sure, but no cheese. I am not saying cheese in corn bread is bad...just that I am not into cheese enough to consider it.

So about to slather another piece in butter and stuff that in my face.
That's good, corn bread isn't Keto friendly...:bro:

**** Keto

#Carbs4Life

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jalapenos for sure, but no cheese. I am not saying cheese in corn bread is bad...just that I am not into cheese enough to consider it.

Oh man, I gotta make one of those in my cast iron. How tough is it to make cornbread in them? I've never made it before but I love it.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
12" cast iron skillet at Aldi $ 9.99
Not sure if its all Aldi's

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I like my collection and take pride in how everything has evolved. But IDGAF how people maintain their cast iron, so as long as they *try*. You will notice a huge disconnect between people who understand there is a learning curve, and those who are impatient. Sorry, yes, it takes effort to learn something, but once you do, it opens the world up for you.

I do the BBG method. Burn clean, bees wax and ghee blend. I used to do electrolysis in a hard anodizing cell, which strips as good as anything, but its just too much maintenance if you don't have a lot to work with. Self-Clean on an oven is also good, lye oven cleaner is the only one that IMO should be avoided because it will pit the iron quicker. Flaxseed oil is great on paper, but not even a top-5 in practice. Whatever though, everyone's an expert on cast iron, that is just how these communities work.
Jesus, this sounds intense.
I only ever oiled mine from the jump and after a few cooks, it cleans up with soap and quick dry and then more oil. I think I understand that the soap isnt really needed but for anti bacterials sake I use it and it doesnt seem to affect the pans seasoning.
Am I doing it all wrong?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I only ever oiled mine from the jump and after a few cooks, it cleans up with soap and quick dry and then more oil. I think I understand that the soap isnt really needed but for anti bacterials sake I use it and it doesnt seem to affect the pans seasoning.
Am I doing it all wrong?
Different schools of thought on that one. But I don't ever use soap on mine personally.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Am I doing it all wrong?

In the immortal words of Kwai Chang Crys, "There is no wrong, only better."

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Different schools of thought on that one. But I don't ever use soap on mine personally.
If i still have a hot oven, I will forego the suds and let it slow cook but after a hard cook, I will steel spatula the debris out and use a touch of soap and give it more oil. I am religious about oiling after every use and really the soap never seems to cut the seasoning on the pan but it does give me a bit of peace knowing there is no bacteria lurking.
I have never been one to research this though and I may be jacking up my pans?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If i still have a hot oven, I will forego the suds and let it slow cook but after a hard cook, I will steel spatula the debris out and use a touch of soap and give it more oil. I am religious about oiling after every use and really the soap never seems to cut the seasoning on the pan but it does give me a bit of peace knowing there is no bacteria lurking.
I have never been one to research this though and I may be jacking up my pans?
Soap is fine, despite what some people say. But bacteria isn't much of a concern because of the heat when you cook. Want to get it really clean though? Warm it up, thrown in a bit of oil, then some course ground kosher salt and scrub away. Gets it super clean. Then rinse clean, get bone dry in the oven and lightly coat with oil again.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Soap is fine, despite what some people say. But bacteria isn't much of a concern because of the heat when you cook. Want to get it really clean though? Warm it up, thrown in a bit of oil, then some course ground kosher salt and scrub away. Gets it super clean. Then rinse clean, get bone dry in the oven and lightly coat with oil again.
Appreciate the tip man.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Am I doing it all wrong?

That's just how I have evolved my personal process over the last 20 years. But it's not hard at all, and I only reason pans if they need it. Sometimes I have something that needs special TLC after 6 months, something have been going strong for many years. Beeswax is my favorite now, because it's one of those seasonings that just lasts forever and that means LESS shit needs to be done. It is awesome.

There is always a new trendy seasoning method. It's nice to try other methods. My whole point is a cast iron user needs to try *something*, or they just spin their wheels in place and get frustrated when one method doesn't connect.