Cast Iron Cooking

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Super random, but anyone else a big fan of cooking with cast iron? I've kind of fallen in love with it. I don't have a huge collection yet (like 5 pieces, mostly Lodge), but I can easily see myself developing an unhealthy obsession with finding older quality pieces and going through the process of bringing them back to their former glory by going through the process of stripping them down, and doing multiple seasoning cycles. I need to figure out a good storage solution though. Already have way too much kitchen shit.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love using my cast iron. I only have one massive skillet currently, but use it as much as possible.

Agree on the storage.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Highly effective and cool cooking devices, but pain in the ass to clean and maintain.

I now only use them for grill searing.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I love using my cast iron. I only have one massive skillet currently, but use it as much as possible.

Agree on the storage.
Man up and build shelves in your basement for em.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a dutch oven cast iron is all i have left, got rid of the skillets .
All we use is all clad stainless steel

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Highly effective and cool cooking devices, but pain in the ass to clean and maintain.

I now only use them for grill searing.
The maintenance thing was a turn off and a bit scary at first, but I've sort of grown to love it. Again, weird, I know, but there is something appealing about it to me. Taking a heavy ass piece of iron that will certainly outlive me, and building up layers and layers of seasoning and patina. My grandkids could use the same pan that I took decades of effort on, and create amazing meals with it, long after I'm buried in the dirt.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I have a 14" i use for chicken, stir frys etc.

And every morning i use a 6" to make an egg sandwich. it toasts the bread, cooks the egg, and ham and gets me a sandwich quickly.

cleaning is easy. i scrape, use a wire brush and paper towel some oil on it after every use. you want to prevent rust. My 14" is a decade old.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just a dutch oven cast iron is all i have left, got rid of the skillets .
All we use is all clad stainless steel
I have a dutch oven. Next purchase is a camp dutch oven that has legs and a flat lid. One that you can put coals under and on top of to regulate temp and make practically anything on that you could in a stove, in a primative fashion.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a dutch oven. Next purchase is a camp dutch oven that has legs and a flat lid. One that you can put coals under and on top of to regulate temp and make practically anything on that you could in a stove, in a primative fashion.
Yeah and them are easy to clean . Just fill it up with water , get it to a boil and wipe them out . Providing you still have hot coals.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have three cast iron skillets. Two of them purchased at Aldi about six or seven years ago...both are 12-14".

Then there is my little 8" skillet that I inherited from a roommate I had almost 15 years ago before he moved to Phoenix where it is much too hot for things like cooking and eating. He said he got it from his grandmother, so for all I know...that skillet may already be pushing 100 years old. Cleans ridiculously easy....so you know it's been seasoned to perfection.

Those things spoil you. A few weeks back I was over at a friend's place and he was making burgers in a non-stick frying pan. The burgers looked sad and grey. If you took all my skillets away tonight...I would probably starve to death.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I had a great cast iron skillet years ago, it got lost in a move, could be in storage, so I never replaced it. I should just buy another one because I want to make and eat these.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I have an 8 that I hardly ever use, because I'm too lazy to season.

I have two le creuset's that I use quite a bit, but those have an enamel on them. So not sure if that qualifies.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had a great cast iron skillet years ago, it got lost in a move, could be in storage, so I never replaced it. I should just buy another one because I want to make and eat these.

That looks like how they make burgers at Steak-n-Shake. Looked really good.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That looks like how they make burgers at Steak-n-Shake. Looked really good.

We all know and love the pub burger, char grilled, thick and rare, bacon, blue cheese. But there is more than one kind of burger, and the smash burger is legit, did you see the juice and the crust on that thing, I want one now.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I like the cast iron too. Mostly just use it during camping. = )

of course peps should know by now...

never use 'teflon' (Polytetrafluoroethylene PTFE) once it's scratched or flaking. It's serious poison, stays in your body doing damage for the rest of your life. never use Teflon on high heat! never pour water into a hot pan, you'll screw up the coating and/or warp the pan. never use metal utensils in the pan.

The Devil You Know is a horrifying doc on the subject.

But now they have non-Teflon (PFOA and PTFE free), like the multi-layered speckled nonstick -- like the Moneta Greystone, that uses ARTECH® STONE non-stick coating, made in Italy. It's usually more expensive but works great, non-stick, high heat searing, safe and lasts.

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all know and love the pub burger, char grilled, thick and rare, bacon, blue cheese. But there is more than one kind of burger, and the smash burger is legit, did you see the juice and the crust on that thing, I want one now.

Oh yeah! It looked great. I'll have to try that at home. We have 3 cast iron pans but I haven't used them in quite a while. Time to break one out.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Totes making smashburgers after that 2 min video. I'd imagine quick frying some onions would be a marvelous match there as well.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Totes making smashburgers after that 2 min video. I'd imagine quick frying some onions would be a marvelous match there as well.

Look at you making it better.