Chili Recipes

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So I used to like this Chili-Mac recipe my Grams used to make when I was younger.... she sometimes made a batch and sent it to me in College.

Its kinda plain and simple, so I have been trying to tweak it.

Here it is:

1 lb Ground Beef (I do 80/20)

Brown Ground Beef (I season it with Chili powder, Paprika, Garlic salt, Onion Powder)

Drop the browned Ground Beef into a pot.

Add 2 cans of Tomato soup, 1.5 cans of water (I add more Chili powder and whatnot to the base)

Simmer for 30 mins

Add 1 can of Chili beans and 1 can of water and 1/2 cup of Macaroni noodles

Bring to boil, let it simmer for 30 mins.

Done.... I like to put some shredded cheese on top.

I made it with hot Chili beans this last time and I like the little bit of heat they add.

Any of you got suggestions of how I can modify or add to the recipe to make it better? Otherwise if you got your own Chili recipe to share :D

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I got a good one...I'll share it later when I have a few mins to write it all down

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I used to like this Chili-Mac recipe my Grams used to make when I was younger.... she sometimes made a batch and sent it to me in College.

Its kinda plain and simple, so I have been trying to tweak it.

Here it is:

1 lb Ground Beef (I do 80/20)

Brown Ground Beef (I season it with Chili powder, Paprika, Garlic salt, Onion Powder)

Drop the browned Ground Beef into a pot.

Add 2 cans of Tomato soup, 1.5 cans of water (I add more Chili powder and whatnot to the base)

Simmer for 30 mins

Add 1 can of Chili beans and 1 can of water and 1/2 cup of Macaroni noodles

Bring to boil, let it simmer for 30 mins.

Done.... I like to put some shredded cheese on top.

I made it with hot Chili beans this last time and I like the little bit of heat they add.

Any of you got suggestions of how I can modify or add to the recipe to make it better? Otherwise if you got your own Chili recipe to share :D

To me, chili is not made with beans but thats a different topic for a different time. So, you dont put and seasoning in your chili. No onions, bell pepper, garlic?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, I add a sprinkling of flower to thicken because I like my chili hearty and thick.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
2 Lbs Ground Beef (80/20 or 85/15)
1 Large Green Pepper
2 Jalapenos (the more wrinkles on the pepper the spicier the pepper)
1 Onion
2-3 Garlic Cloves (depending on size)
1 can Tomato Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans

I first saute the onions (chopped) and garlic (minced), then add the ground beef to brown. Once browned I pour the beef/onion/garlic in a slow cooker (don't strain the fat, pour that goodness right in). I remove the seeds from the green peppers and jalapenos (for a spicier chili keep the seeds from the jalapeno and cut them in rings) and chop them up to add to the beef pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans (add another can if you like the chili to have more beans).

Spicing the chili is hard for me to say because I eyeball and taste when I spice, but I use chili powder, plenty of cumin, some garlic salt, a little onion powder, a bay leaf, a cinnamon stick, red pepper flakes, and some black pepper. I may be missing a spice or two, doing this from memory and trying to remember what I have in my spice cabinet.

Mix everything up, and cook on low in the slow cooker for 6 - 8 hours.

I have another recipe where it is a beef stew and chili combo that came out great, if I have a chance I'll post it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1 Large Green Pepper
1 Onion
1 can Tomato Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans

I first saute the onions (chopped) and garlic (minced), then add the ground beef to brown. Once browned I pour the beef/onion/garlic in a slow cooker (don't strain the fat, pour that goodness right in). I remove the seeds from the green peppers and jalapenos (for a spicier chili keep the seeds from the jalapeno and cut them in rings) and chop them up to add to the beef pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans (add another can if you like the chili to have more beans).

Spicing the chili is hard for me to say because I eyeball and taste when I spice, but I use chili powder, plenty of cumin, some garlic salt, a little onion powder, a bay leaf, a cinnamon stick, red pepper flakes, and some black pepper. I may be missing a spice or two, doing this from memory and trying to remember what I have in my spice cabinet.

I have another recipe where it is a beef stew and chili combo that came out great, if I have a chance I'll post it.
This is pretty much exactly what I made yesterday.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
1 Large Green Pepper
1 Onion
1 can Tomato Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans

almost exactly the same way I make chilli as well but I like too use v8 as my base juice then spice by eye smell and taste

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To me, chili is not made with beans but thats a different topic for a different time. So, you dont put and seasoning in your chili. No onions, bell pepper, garlic?

I know.... Grams always called it Chili so I always have, but I know people define Chili different ways.

I season with the Chili powder, Paprika, Garlic Salt, and Onion powder, but thats all I have been using.

The original recipe didn't use any of that and used regular Brooks Chili beans, so I am trying to flavor it up a bit at least.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh fuck. Love me some chili.

2 tomatillas
1-ish diced onion
3-ish peppers(I usually use 1 jalapeño, 1 anaheim & 1 serano)
Garlic- um, I use different amounts each time)
2 lbs ground bison
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomatoe sauce
I usually just use some decent shaker chili spices and some cayenne pepper and flavor to whatever taste I want in each batch

Sauté veggies in some spices and olive oil
Add ground bison and brown
Add tomatoes, beans, sauce and spices
Let simmer for at least one hour

Slop into bowl.
Add cheese and sour cream
Shovel into face with saltine crackers

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Here's two recipes for you. The first one is a green chili. I usually win local contests with this green chili. I think that reason is that most red chili's are similar enough that they split the vote and then they have my green chili and I get the "out of the box" vote.

Chili Verde

Ingredients
5lbs Pork Cutlet cubed (can use ground)
2lg White Onions
3lbs Tomatillos chopped
4T Cumin
2T Oregano dried
2T Garlic powder
1T Chili Powder
4-15oz cans White Beans
3-4 Jalepeno peppers diced fine (add more if you like it spicier like I do)
1/4c Oil
8 limes juiced
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper

Directions
In Dutch oven, heat oil til smoking. Salt and Pepper pork, brown.
Remove pork. Add remaining ingredients except cilantro, beans, and lime juice. Lightly salt veggies. Cook about 20 min.
Add pork and beans. Bring to boil, simmer for an hour or more til it's reduced the way you want it, less time more gumbo consistency, longer time more chili consistency
15 min before serving add lime juice and cilantro.

The chili freezes well in gallong zip lock freezer bags and reheats fine to boot.

It will change your life.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This is my traditional chili. I hardly ever make it since the Chili Verde is so good.

Chili En Fuego

Ingredients
3 1/3lbs Ground Beef
2lg White Onions
1 lb Maple Bacon
4T Cumin
2T Oregano dried
2T Garlic powder
1T Chili Powder
4-15oz cans Kidney Beans
6-15oz cans tomatoes, diced
5 habanera peppers, minced (more if you like it spicey like I do)
Salt

Directions
In 400 degree oven, bake the bacon, chop finely when done.
In Dutch oven brown beef.
Remove beef. Add remaining ingredients except beans and bacon. Lightly salt veggies. Cook about 20 min.
Add beef, beans, and beef broth. Bring to boil, simmer for an hour.
15 min before serving add bacon

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Finally if you are just dying for some chili I am going to get laughed at for this unless you've had it and then you will know exactly what I am talking about. White Castles used to have chili a couple of years back on the menu. It was a steakhouse chili. It had heat and flavor and blew the doors off of places like Wendy's. For a fast food chili it was outstanding.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
ive found also that if u mix kidney and chilli beans it can be a lil different and still very tasty

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like where this thread is going.... lots of good recipes giving me ideas.

What are your guys thoughts on beans vs no beans.... I have just always had the beans in the recipe and I like them.

Some people say beans in Chili = Its not Chili.... or worse they will beat you with sticks for it lol.

Honestly I don't care about definitions or traditions as much as I care about the food tasting good :D

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

What are your guys thoughts on beans vs no beans.... I have just always had the beans in the recipe and I like them.

Some people say beans in Chili = Its not Chili.... or worse they will beat you with sticks for it lol.

Honestly I don't care about definitions or traditions as much as I care about the food tasting good :D

It depends on my mood and what I am eating it with...when I do a beanless chili I'm usually putting it over a pasta. It's more of a Cincinnati style chili. When I make chili with beans, it is usually hearty and is good as a meal by itself. The other way I make a beanless chili is the beef stew/chili combo and with the chunks of beef it is a filling meal without the beans.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

Red kidney beans are a must.

I also love mushrooms in my chili. Fanfreakintastic!!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Too much unknown on it's history.

As long as I like it, I could careless about the beans or the meat. I just had a co-worke's venison chili that he makes with some beans but 11 different peppers. I couldn't wait for the microwave to reheat so I ate my chili refrigerator cold and I don't regret it for a moment.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I grew up eating a chili verde my aunt made that was so soooo good. I don't have the recipe unfortunately. I did make this recipe recently

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Colora...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i3

It turned out very good. Only difference is I omitted the clove and had to thicken it a bit. I just pour that shit over a simple burrito and go to town.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Never had Chili verde.... never had Green Chili at all.

I know.... how can that be? I was a picky eater as a kid and my family doesn't cook.... not joking.... my mom can make like 3-4 things not out of a box or can, my oldest sister is about the same, and my other sister once made me MacNCheese and rinsed the hot noodles in cold water and then tried to mix them with cold butter and cold milk and then tried to put a metal mixing bowl in the microwave.... I am trying to expand my culinary horizons out on my own as you can imagine.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

a chilli without beans is just a topping imho I don't call it chilli unless it stands as a meal in itself and without the beans its no stand alone meal. just my 2 cents