Coby White is the Bulls pick.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Lillard, Trey Young, Curry all have somewhat low release points and are some of the best shooters we've ever seen.

Not sure. Coby's release is considerably lower than anyone you mentioned. Steph pockets low, but his actual release is fairly proportionate to forming a good hand to basket arc. It will take some time to fix his shot, and we just have to be patient as fans for his sake. Not to be confused with patience for the FO, those two things should never be confused. FU GarPax 4lyfe

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure. Coby's release is considerably lower than anyone you mentioned. Steph pockets low, but his actual release is fairly proportionate to forming a good hand to basket arc. It will take some time to fix his shot, and we just have to be patient as fans for his sake. Not to be confused with patience for the FO, those two things should never be confused. FU GarPax 4lyfe
Is it really? Genuine question because I don't really see it as way lower

2c8762eb64b78f45ef7a3687cc38db34.jpg

damian-lillard-of-the-portland-trail-blazers-shoots-a-jump-shot-while-picture-id456748212

north-carolina-tar-heels-guard-coby-white-shoots-a-jump-shot-during-picture-id1077885142

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I had this problem too, trying to find pictures of release points. I mean, think about that, you're not going to get an accurate metric from pictures. I found pictures of Curry releasing from fingertips with his arm nearly straight and about 70 degrees from his head. And then I found pictures of what looked to be a release from Coby a few inches away from his forehead. Just not a good way to make a comparison.

So I'm really just going off all the highlight videos that I see, and I'm not sure how it doesn't stand out. IMO, that is the lowest release point for a lottery drafted guard I can remember in years. He grabs, pumps, and shoots as fast as he can to match the temporary clear path. Just an all out recipe for low% in the NBA, but as long as he's coachable, it's not a deal breaker, as a few adjustments could take those bad habits and make him quite deadly.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I had this problem too, trying to find pictures of release points. I mean, think about that, you're not going to get an accurate metric from pictures. I found pictures of Curry releasing from fingertips with his arm nearly straight and about 70 degrees from his head. And then I found pictures of what looked to be a release from Coby a few inches away from his forehead. Just not a good way to make a comparison.

So I'm really just going off all the highlight videos that I see, and I'm not sure how it doesn't stand out. IMO, that is the lowest release point for a lottery drafted guard I can remember in years. He grabs, pumps, and shoots as fast as he can to match the temporary clear path. Just an all out recipe for low% in the NBA, but as long as he's coachable, it's not a deal breaker, as a few adjustments could take those bad habits and make him quite deadly.
Guess I need to watch more video. What you say is true, pictures don't necessarily tell the whole story.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could just be completely blind or something, based on the videos I've seen his release point looks similar to Lillard's.

But I'll make this point as well, if we're seeing that his shot goes flat a lot (I didn't really see it happening but again, could be blind) then a higher release point should theoretically help his arc and I'd hope the coaching staff would encourage that if needed.

That said, there's also merit to if it ain't broke don't fix it. Shooting is considered a strength of his and while the low release point is noted, he seems to be very good at creating space to get the shot off clean, kinda like Trae Young. And while when I watch Trae I do notice the low release point quite obviously, I don't see that as much with Coby for whatever reason. What I notice is how square his stance is...usually that would lead to shoulder tension, but it's pretty player dependent on how much tension there actually is.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Just watch Coby's top 1/4 of his shot, then it seems more clear.

Trae Young's is low too, and his issue is that he barely gets his feet off the ground which makes it seem lower. Coby, credit given, gets a good foot higher in his jumping form than Trae. But strictly the release point, not the follow through, Coby's hands are inches away from his forehead. Someone like Trae pumps low, but the actual release point is very high.

I know, I know.... pictures, but here is what I mean.

k69knszl.png

I found a bunch that were like this from Trae, and his actual release point is not a concern.

MJJfPEbl.png

Wow, hard to freeze frame that fast shot. But this is his actual release point, consistently seen across many shots. I cut his lower half out, because when you see his him getting air, it hides a lot of the flaws.

See what I mean?
mlLSYVKl.png

Then here:

nzOVMTSl.png

**Mind you, this was a catch step and shoot with a lot of momentum. It's the highest release of his shot arsenal. Momentum + mechanical flaw means very little to a microwave shooter, they can always get into a rhythm and not worry about shots getting contested. Being out of a rhythm and getting back in is the hard part, at the NBA level /removes captain obvious cap

An NBA level shot blocker can time blocks if they see that window of opportunity. Coby has a lot of great mechanics with his shot, but when you get air PLUS have a low release point, your counter window for adjustment is TINY. A guy like Trae, as much as I hate flat footed shooters, they can fake and adjust considerably quicker.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think I get your point, though I'm not sure if I entirely agree how much it's going to matter. But just to iron that point out...again unfortunately with pictures...

usa_today_11763396.0.jpg

I'm assuming to you this is a perfectly fine release point.

Contrasted with
white.jpg

And again
nzOVMTSl.png

White's is indeed a bit lower, judging by the arm angle relative to the head.

The likelihood of jumpers getting blocked is so small that I don't really think that it matters. Shot contests affecting the shot is definitely a thing though. In that regard I definitely agree with you on the fact that a "flat footed shooter" can counter quicker and better than someone who gets a lot of air on his shot.

I'd actually be of the opinion that if he did have to change his shot because it is too affected by defenders, that he not jump as high while also raising the release point. Similar to Curry or Young...smooth, no wasted motion, quick, and easier to adjust if necessary.