Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait...Aldi's soda line in the 80s top it.

3112603_orig.jpg

2876044_orig.jpg

Those were the only sodas in my house growing up. They were just bad enough to turn me off to soda before I got out of high school.
Mmmm I can taste the HFCS and artificial flavoring already

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mmmm I can taste the HFCS and artificial flavoring already

IIRC, they were like ten cents a can...so it probably was not even HFCS, but some cheap byproduct cleaned out of the machines that produce HFCS.

The root beer was almost impressively foul.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all know how bad soda is for you. In fact, I haven't had one in 15 years. Going back to the OP in question, flavor goes to Coke. It's quite refreshing with food. But I cannot justify it any longer.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'd swap glass bottle and fountain personally. Fountain can be kind of a crapshoot sometimes (e.g. syrup is running out, ratio not right, etc).
Ok how about this comparison. The American made coke in glass vs the Mexican made coke in glass. If you don’t have a strong Mexican population by you you probably don’t have the choice in product. But there is a distinct difference in taste

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok how about this comparison. The American made coke in glass vs the Mexican made coke in glass. If you don’t have a strong Mexican population by you you probably don’t have the choice in product. But there is a distinct difference in taste

Confirmed. Wifey and I were in Puerto Vallarta all week and she said it was deliciously superior.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The difference is the Mexican version uses pure cane sugar vs corn syrup.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wait...Aldi's soda line in the 80s top it.

3112603_orig.jpg

2876044_orig.jpg

Those were the only sodas in my house growing up. They were just bad enough to turn me off to soda before I got out of high school.

HAH, Yes. Sweet Valley. And everyone saying, white soda was the healthy soda! ie: Lemon Limes, 50:50s (which spawned the original Crystal Pepsi, and yes, that one tasted very different than the one that returned, proof? Look at the ingredients).

And we were poor, so we drank a lot of Coke II, *if* we got anything in can, other than the Sweet Valley Aldi stuff. Stucking drinking RC from bottles a lot too. RC 2 liter bottles suck, but for whatever reason, fountain RC is amazing, I'll take it over any of the national brands in any format.

One thing that we did have, was Clover Club, on Archer. They had their own line of soft drinks, had the rights to sell a lot of classic favorites. Only place you could buy authentic original recipe Green River for a while.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
They taste slightly different. But I don't really have a preference other than I like the cherry versions of both better. I like Dr. Pepper the most of any soda though. Actually, Big Red is the best but it is hard to find in stores.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I drink diet dr. pepper as well. The stuff don't even taste like diet. I gotta try the vanilla version now.
7/11 has it in their fountain machines.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
HAH, Yes. Sweet Valley.

Even just typing out the words Sweet Valley, I can almost taste that awful root beer and see all the perrmastains from the far too sweet grape.

My mom was very anti-soda, but my dad still bought them for himself because while he did not drink alcohol that often...he was a total hippie pothead that would get stoned and drink like five cans of that red cream soda. I kinda developed a similar habit with the orange when I first started smoking in HS.

After they died and I went to live at grandma's house...she also only bought Sweet Valley, but only the diet lemon lime which was like expired 7up. It was exclusively for "Dallas & Falcon Crest Night" which also involved popcorn.

As much as I trash talk Sweet Valley...they did a good job of not turning me into one of the billions of soda junkies of the 80s.

Five Alive was my jam.

RC 2 liter bottles suck, but for whatever reason, fountain RC is amazing

That is legit one of the greatest cola mysteries. RC was horrible out of the bottle at home, but go to a ball game and get the fountain RC over ice and it is absolutely refreshing.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Literally Nobody:

Coke:
Orange_Vanilla_Coke_and_Orange_Vanilla_Coke_Zero_Sugar_-_Hero_Image_2_1_.jpg

Seriously though, every time I'm in the store I see more and more pops that just have an abomination of a flavor. What gives?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I stopped drinking non diet pop about 25 years ago.

I am down to about 1 diet pop a week

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Gave up pop since high school, but I always thought Coke was way better.

I used to live on Jewel Cream Soda growing up; thinking about that now makes me want to puke.

View attachment 4399

My condolences. I grew up on 70's Jewel branded products. My nemeses were grape flavored soda, cheese puffs and stale-right-off-the-shelf white bread.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kofola. The Czechs got that one right. It's not nearly as sweet as coke, pepsi, RC, etc. It's just hard as hell to acquire and usually requires a care-package from my in-laws.

Anymore though my choice of carbonated beverage has to be Cock 'n Bull Ginger beer--not too sweet and a good kick of spiciness.

Granada

Liked Posts:
My condolences. I grew up on 70's Jewel branded products. My nemeses were grape flavored soda, cheese puffs and stale-right-off-the-shelf white bread.

Hah, yeah I was a bit afterward. Thinking about it makes me ill now, but at least I was happy at the time. What kid doesn't like eating crap?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously though, every time I'm in the store I see more and more pops that just have an abomination of a flavor. What gives?

Over the last decade, sales on "diet" sodas have just tanked...especially over at Coca-cola. So now you have Coke Zero in 47 flavors because they are desperately trying to save the brand.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Confirmed. Wifey and I were in Puerto Vallarta all week and she said it was deliciously superior.

100% agree. Even in Paris, the coca cola tastes a lot better.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Anyone remember the soda brand that was sold at Eagle, Cub foods and some other places. Rolling hills? Country Hills? Something like that...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Drinking straight: Pepsi, RC cola, Coke

Mixing with liquor: Coke, Diet 7up, Pepsi