Coming to Orlando on vacation? Ask me anything...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And here's another thing. If you take a slightly longer route from Sanford to NSB, you could stop by Blue Springs State Park.

IMG_0266_2_softer-X2.jpg

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Allegiant flies into Sanford, which is even better. It will take you about 30 mins or so to drive over there.

I think the direct flight to Orlando and then rent a car and go visit places is going to be what we do. Google says it's an hour drive which doesn't bother me because we can explore and make it a day on the way to our destination.

When would you go? Optimally for weather?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think the direct flight to Orlando and then rent a car and go visit places is going to be what we do. Google says it's an hour drive which doesn't bother me because we can explore and make it a day on the way to our destination.

When would you go? Optimally for weather?
That's weird because Allegiant generally flies into Sanford, although they might be calling it "Orlando". Check the airport code to see if it's MCO or SFB.

Time of year is always kinda hard to nail. Rain and heat are always hard to predict because it fluctuates a lot. I'd say probably April and May give you the best chances for nice weather.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@Burque

I just checked it, it's Sanford even though they are calling it Orlando. Basically the north burbs, which is better for you if you're heading to NSB. It looks like the flights start at the beginning of June, which should still be ok, but possibly more rainy than April / May. But it could be perfect out too, still a great time of year to visit but it can be unpredictable. We generally don't have to worry about hurricanes until late August, and generally it doesn't get hot as fuck until into July / August. Also usually when it rains here a lot in the summer, it's generally heavy thunderstorms that last a few hours in the late afternoon / early evening. But I can recall a few June's when it rained constantly for weeks, but that's kind of rare.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Alright, here's some more. I took a look at the flights and it seems that they arrive VERY early in the morning. Like 5:40 am. Provided you can sleep on the plane and feel up to it, here's what I would suggest...

- After you get off the plane, get your rental car, and drive from the airport to downtown Sanford you're probably looking at around 7am.

- Drive down airport road and head north on Sanford Ave until you see water, take a left and find a place to park.

- Grab a coffee / breakfast. A good place at that time of day is probably Caffe Di Riverwalk. Disclaimer, I've only gotten coffee there, never food, so I'm not sure how that is. Better breakfast options around but hours / location may be an issue.

- Take a stroll along the path by Lake Monroe, the marina, downtown Sanford, etc. Here are a few of my personal photos of that...

- Head out of Sanford taking 17-92 north around the lake. Nice view for a few miles. Note that they just recently changed the speed limit from 50 to 35, but keep it at 40 even if people are up your ass. Cops are ticketing people hard because no one is respecting the new speed limit.

- Wave at me as you literally pass my subdivision

- Keep going up 17-92 into Orange City, and stop by Blue Springs. Probably like 15 mins depending on how you catch the lights.

- After leaving Blue Springs continue north into Deland, and stop off to walk around a bit more and grab some lunch. Bunch of good places but Santorini is good if you like Greek food. Also I've got a total hole in the wall Mexican grocery place that has legit tortas if that's more your speed.

- Then hop on 44 east straight into NSB. Probably will take you 20 mins or so depending on where you're staying.

At least that's what I would do on an early arrival.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can get really specific.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Alright, here's some more. I took a look at the flights and it seems that they arrive VERY early in the morning. Like 5:40 am. Provided you can sleep on the plane and feel up to it, here's what I would suggest...

- After you get off the plane, get your rental car, and drive from the airport to downtown Sanford you're probably looking at around 7am.

- Drive down airport road and head north on Sanford Ave until you see water, take a left and find a place to park.

- Grab a coffee / breakfast. A good place at that time of day is probably Caffe Di Riverwalk. Disclaimer, I've only gotten coffee there, never food, so I'm not sure how that is. Better breakfast options around but hours / location may be an issue.

- Take a stroll along the path by Lake Monroe, the marina, downtown Sanford, etc. Here are a few of my personal photos of that...

- Head out of Sanford taking 17-92 north around the lake. Nice view for a few miles. Note that they just recently changed the speed limit from 50 to 35, but keep it at 40 even if people are up your ass. Cops are ticketing people hard because no one is respecting the new speed limit.

- Wave at me as you literally pass my subdivision

- Keep going up 17-92 into Orange City, and stop by Blue Springs. Probably like 15 mins depending on how you catch the lights.

- After leaving Blue Springs continue north into Deland, and stop off to walk around a bit more and grab some lunch. Bunch of good places but Santorini is good if you like Greek food. Also I've got a total hole in the wall Mexican grocery place that has legit tortas if that's more your speed.

- Then hop on 44 east straight into NSB. Probably will take you 20 mins or so depending on where you're staying.

At least that's what I would do on an early arrival.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can get really specific.
Wave hi? I'm coming over for beers and wings!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wave hi? I'm coming over for beers and wings!
I'm not sure I'll have beers and wings available at 10am on a weekday, lol.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'll be searching for this thread in the future. My wife is a big Disney fan and she wants to take the kids in the next few years. Read all 10 pages and now I'm thinking this is a multi-year thing and not just a 1 and done type of trip. Thanks for the local take on food, beer and nature related activities. I'm intrigued about swimming in a spring that potentially could have gators... Not sure I'd do it, but it would be cool to see those areas. Maybe I'll kayak.

@Burque just drink the local brew, I'm sure you'll be good with it. @nvanprooyen are distilleries popping up in your area or is it all craft beer?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@nvanprooyen what is the best time of year to hit Universal Studios or Disney with no kids there?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll be searching for this thread in the future. My wife is a big Disney fan and she wants to take the kids in the next few years. Read all 10 pages and now I'm thinking this is a multi-year thing and not just a 1 and done type of trip. Thanks for the local take on food, beer and nature related activities. I'm intrigued about swimming in a spring that potentially could have gators... Not sure I'd do it, but it would be cool to see those areas. Maybe I'll kayak.

@Burque just drink the local brew, I'm sure you'll be good with it. @nvanprooyen are distilleries popping up in your area or is it all craft beer?
You really don't have to worry about gators in the springs for several big reasons:

- They aren't crazy about cold water. Most springs are about 70ish degrees. Which doesn't sound that cold until you get in and get used to it.

- They don't like people. If you stick to the public swimming areas in the springs they don't want to be around that. Popular springs in the area get VERY crowded when it's hot out, especially on the weekends. Like closed due to capacity by 10am. Spotting manatees is popular during the winter months. They come up towards the spring heads that time of year. Blue Springs mentioned earlier is one of the big ones for this.

- Water clarity. Most gator attacks on fully grown humans are cases of mistaken identity in murky water, or getting to close to a baby nest causing them to be aggressive. But generally they are pretty chill.

All that said, I'd definitely recommend kayaking too. Some really beautiful paddling trails around here. I'll probably post some more springs and kayaking spots later.

To your other question, we've had a few distilleries pop up along with some cideries, but it's mostly craft beer. Tons of that around. Sanford is just one area of a handful with a great beer scene in the metro.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
@nvanprooyen

Any expertise on restaurants in St. Pete? Headed to a conference on Sunday and will be there for 3 nights. Looking for a fun/unique/famous steakhouse and Asian Fusion.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen

Any expertise on restaurants in St. Pete? Headed to a conference on Sunday and will be there for 3 nights. Looking for a fun/unique/famous steakhouse and Asian Fusion.
Not much really. Usually when I'm over there (which isn't too terribly much) I end up at random ass places and can't think of any that blew me away. I almost always eat at Crabby Joe's up in Indian Rocks at least once. I do really like downtown St Pete though. Lots of live music, Dali museum, bars, and generally just nice to walk around (or hop on the trolley). Note there are 2 trolleys. One that does a downtown loop, and another beach one that runs up and down the coast to Clearwater all day long (with numerous stops between). Speaking of which, I need to get back over there soon. My buddy has a beach house that he Airbnb's and let's me use it whenever I want to. Been almost a year. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the restaurant front.

Reactions: DC

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thinking of starting a "Coming to Iowa on vaca, AMA" thread. Any interest?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When I was in the USAF, I was stationed at Offutt AFB for awhile. I made the trek across the state many times on I-80 headed home to IL. I don't want to shit on the whole state, but that is a seriously boring drive. I did have some fun in Iowa City a few times though.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When I was in the USAF, I was stationed at Offutt AFB for awhile. I made the trek across the state many times on I-80 headed home to IL. I don't want to shit on the whole state, but that is a seriously boring drive. I did have some fun in Iowa City a few times though.
The only thing worse then I80 thru Iowa is I80 thru Nebraska to Colorado lol

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The only thing worse then I80 thru Iowa is I80 thru Nebraska to Colorado lol
Oh yeah. That's definitely terrible. I think the worst part is when you hit "welcome to Colorado", and you think the boring is over finally. But it's not for a good bit.

• Haha
Reactions: DC

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do it. We should have one for every state. In regards to Iowa what's the best place to rent a lakefront cabin for family fishing adventures?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do it. We should have one for every state. In regards to Iowa what's the best place to rent a lakefront cabin for family fishing adventures?
Hmm. Good question. The two lake vacation destinations that I am most familiar with are Lake Rathbun (southern Iowa). I grew up about 15 minutes from this lake and spent a lot of time on there boating and camping growing up. There's campsites all around the lake and you can rent RVs (if you are serious, my dad rents his 5th wheel out. Nice camper, just don't use it anymore and is probably available. He'd haul it down and set it up I'm sure. It's Iowa). Good fishing all around the lake and the marina rents out Pontoons/Jet Skis. There is also Honey Creek Resort that has a hotel with a waterpark and cabins available to rent. I'll say, I've had a ton of good times on this lake. If you're looking for views like you have in Colorado, this isn't the spot lol, but it's a good family destination that is cheap.

The other is Okoboji. Its' in NW Iowa and I have less experience here. This is a party lake. Houses are built on it along with bars and restaurants. Alot more money has been dumped into Okoboji than Rathbun in terms of development. It is Iowa's "Clearest" lake or so they claim. Rathbun is bigger, but no houses. Okoboji is also home to the shittest strip club I've ever been too. The dance stage and private dance room are separated by a curtain lol.

You can PM with any questions if you are actually interested lol.