Coming to Orlando on vacation? Ask me anything...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, Orlando itself sucks. Can't speak for the burbs.
Are you talking about downtown, or LBV / Kissimmee? E.g. the areas around the attractions?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I did winter training in Melbourne. That's close to Orlando, right? Saw a shuttle launch from the boat (this was... 1993)

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I did winter training in Melbourne. That's close to Orlando, right? Saw a shuttle launch from the boat (this was... 1993)

Pretty close. A little south of Cocoa Beach.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@nvanprooyen similar question... any top notch breakfast places near Universal?

I am a sucker for good breakfast.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen similar question... any top notch breakfast places near Universal?

I am a sucker for good breakfast.

Hmm. I normally don't eat breakfast down there, so let me check. There may be a First Watch around there or Kekes, which are usually pretty solid local options. But not sure if they have locations in that area. Where are you staying? On property?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hmm. I normally don't eat breakfast down there, so let me check. There may be a First Watch around there or Kekes, which are usually pretty solid local options. But not sure if they have locations in that area. Where are you staying? On property?

No, Double Tree Hilton by the entrance.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you talking about downtown, or LBV / Kissimmee? E.g. the areas around the attractions?
Downtown blows(near the Amway Center/Football/Soccer Stadium) the area around the attractions is terrible. The area near the resorts and the International Drive areas are shit as well. I've never been to Kissimmee or Lake Buena Vista proper.

I think that's another issue with Orlando to me. It's just this endless concrete urban sprawl with no culture or defining characteristics. Just feels like a generic ass city to me.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Last time I went to Orlando, it was maybe 30% semi-normal families visiting(wtf is defined as a normal family anyways?), 30% pedophiles, 20% people who wanted to pursue their lifelong dream of tripping at Epcot center and the rest were some mix of people who won some prize, locals, and oldies checking off their bucket list(some of these could go into the 3rd category).

Not hating. Nowhere close. Just wondering how much of that has changed.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
I’m going to Disney world for the first time and taking my 3 daughters. My dream is being completed. I don’t need any advice or suggestions. I just want brag. I’m still in disbelief about it.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m going to Disney world for the first time and taking my 3 daughters. My dream is being completed. I don’t need any advice or suggestions. I just want brag. I’m still in disbelief about it.
Hope you have a blast. Pace yourself though. It can be pretty exhausting.

Reactions: DC

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
@nvanprooyen Looks like we will hit Universal for 3 days and have 2 left for Disney. How much shit can I cram in those last 2 days at Disney without dying from exhaustion?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen Looks like we will hit Universal for 3 days and have 2 left for Disney. How much shit can I cram in those last 2 days at Disney without dying from exhaustion?
Lets start with Universal, and I'll let you know how wiped out you're gonna be after that :)

What's the plan for Universal? Both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios? Guessing no Volcano Bay, although sometimes December can sometimes be pretty nice and I believe they keep the water heated, but depending on the weather might be good, or might suck. Are you gonna be getting express passes? I'd strongly consider that. It allows you to do a lot more, especially if you're gonna be here during a busy time.

I just went to both Volcano Bay and Islands of Adventure yesterday, and I am wiped the fuck out today.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Lets start with Universal, and I'll let you know how wiped out you're gonna be after that :)

What's the plan for Universal? Both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios? Guessing no Volcano Bay, although sometimes December can sometimes be pretty nice and I believe they keep the water heated, but depending on the weather might be good, or might suck. Are you gonna be getting express passes? I'd strongly consider that. It allows you to do a lot more, especially if you're gonna be here during a busy time.

I just went to both Volcano Bay and Islands of Adventure yesterday, and I am wiped the fuck out today.
I think if weather permits we will go to volcano bay. But the reason i extended it 2 more days is because my kids have never been to Disney and I figured we should at least do the Magis Kingdom.
We do plan on buying the fast passes

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think if weather permits we will go to volcano bay. But the reason i extended it 2 more days is because my kids have never been to Disney and I figured we should at least do the Magis Kingdom.
We do plan on buying the fast passes
I'd probably just do one Disney park, and give yourself a day off to actually relax and enjoy yourself. MK is definitely iconic, Animal Kingdom is my favorite though of the Disney parks. You'll have a blast at Universal though. I like it a lot better than Disney personally. I was an annual passholder at Disney for several years, and recently got Universal annual passes. I'm enjoying it much more. One of my favorites overall though is Discovery Cove (owned by Sea World). But that's much better when it's warm. It is kind of expensive, but it's all inclusive (snacks, meals, alcohol) and they only let in like 1300 people a day, so it never gets stupid crowded. Just a great relaxing day.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Re Universal, if you stay on property there are some nice advantages. Most have early park admission, water taxi to Citywalk from some, higher end include express passes (I think), etc. I usually stay at Sapphire Falls, which has the water taxi, but no Express (I already have this so I don't care). Cabana Bay and Aventura are cheaper options. Also, you can use the water taxi from both Cabana Bay and Aventura, they never check where you are staying. Super short walk from Aventura, a little longer from Cabana Bay, especially if you want to safely cross the street to get over to the Sapphire Falls side. Cabana Bay is super convenient to Volcano Bay though.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not sure if you mentioned how old the kiddos are earlier in this thread, and didn't go back through, but if they are a little on the older side, spending most of your time at Universal is more than likely a great call.