Coming to Orlando on vacation? Ask me anything...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen I will be in Orlando the weekend of 7/26-7/28, hitting Universal Studios and then heading off on a cruise out of Port Canaveral Monday afternoon.

Any advice on bars/dinner spots near Universal or within an Uber ride?

I'm also wondering what we might do to fill the time Monday if we have to wait to board, but there may not be many good answers for that since we'll be saddled with luggage.
Rereading this thread, now I'm wondering if I might have literally walked past @Ares yesterday without noticing

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Re Universal, if you stay on property there are some nice advantages. Most have early park admission, water taxi to Citywalk from some, higher end include express passes (I think), etc. I usually stay at Sapphire Falls, which has the water taxi, but no Express (I already have this so I don't care). Cabana Bay and Aventura are cheaper options. Also, you can use the water taxi from both Cabana Bay and Aventura, they never check where you are staying. Super short walk from Aventura, a little longer from Cabana Bay, especially if you want to safely cross the street to get over to the Sapphire Falls side. Cabana Bay is super convenient to Volcano Bay though.
We are staying at Loews Royal Pacific for the Universal part and I think we are leaning towards Lake Buena Vista for the Disney portion

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We are staying at Loews Royal Pacific for the Universal part and I think we are leaning towards Lake Buena Vista for the Disney portion

Royal Pacific is really nice. Water taxi + early park admission + I believe Express passes included with your stay. As mentioned earlier Hilton Bonnet Creek is a good choice close to Disney. What are the kids tolerance for thrill rides on a scale of 1-10?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Indeed they do:

Totally worth it IMO. I refuse to go without Express. Room rates are expensive, but when you look at what it would cost to buy Express for everyone, they look very, very reasonable.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Royal Pacific is really nice. Water taxi + early park admission + I believe Express passes included with your stay. As mentioned earlier Hilton Bonnet Creek is a good choice close to Disney. What are the kids tolerance for thrill rides on a scale of 1-10?
I forgot you recommended the other place. Ill consider that again. Kids are both under 9 yrs old

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I forgot you recommended the other place. Ill consider that again. Kids are both under 9 yrs old
If they have a tolerance for scarier stuff...the Hulk is a must do at IOA and the Mummy is one of my personal favorites at Studios. Rip Ride Rocket is fun, but not nearly as smooth as the Hulk, but I'm not crazy about the 90 degree vertical slow climb to the first drop. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is pretty fucking cool, and one of my favorites. Hagrids motorcycle ride is really good, but always fucking busy because it's new, but that should be better in December with Express. Transformers, Escape from Gringotts and Kong are all worth checking out. Couple good water rides with big drops at Jurassic and Dudley Do Rights. I'm probably forgetting a few.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
One more thing - download the Universal Studios app on your phone. It's pretty nice. You can check out detailed park maps, see wait times, and a bunch of other stuff. Great tool to plan your visit, or monitor / find stuff while you're there.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
One more thing - download the Universal Studios app on your phone. It's pretty nice. You can check out detailed park maps, see wait times, and a bunch of other stuff. Great tool to plan your visit, or monitor / find stuff while you're there.
If you could stay anywhere in Disney money no issue, where would you stay for the best 2 day experience?
I ask because I am thinking one of the monorail resorts.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you could stay anywhere in Disney money no issue, where would you stay for the best 2 day experience?
I ask because I am thinking one of the monorail resorts.
Hmm. Good question. None of the Disney resorts are bad. But if I were to go "full baller" probably one of the overwater bungalows at the Polynesian, if money were no object. Never stayed there personally, but they look amazing.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Hmm. Good question. None of the Disney resorts are bad. But if I were to go "full baller" probably one of the overwater bungalows at the Polynesian, if money were no object. Never stayed there personally, but they look amazing.
Those are a few thousand per night?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Those are a few thousand per night?
Probably. I've never actually looked because I'm not ever dropping that kind of coin locally. But you asked if money were no object...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Rereading this thread, now I'm wondering if I might have literally walked past @Ares yesterday without noticing

Oh, you'd know if you saw @Ares , everywhere he goes theses psychos stalk his ass.

pigeon-people-01-640x400.png

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Guessing @Ares is staying there.

I think he said he is boarding a cruise ship tomorrow, Monday.

I sure hope it's not one of those cruises where there is shit all over the floor, literally a poop deck.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Always been scared to cruise. Afraid of being eaten by a lardass.

Cheers, Nvan. This thread is awesome. I can't wait to hit up with Fort Lauderdale information next spring for next fall. Why? Because you are the man. Fucking a.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Universal is making a big announcement tomorrow. Most likely a 4th park, but rumors are swirling that it might be even bigger than that. If they do, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Disney announced a 5th park within the next 6 months. The theme park wars continue!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So it's a new park. Gonna be called Epic Universe. Not a lot of details yet, but they did release some concept art:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
@nvanprooyen
Took your advice and booked the Hilton Bonnet Creek for the 2nd half of the week.
Now I have to figure out which Disney Parks to hit in 3 days.