Contracts moving forward

dennehy

Liked Posts:
As per usual, this year is another is a long line of shit sandwiches provided by the McCaskeys and whoever they choose for their lap dogs du jure. But, I try to find some positives. I think there are some young players that could form the core of a decent team moving forward: Goldman, Whitehair, Howard, Hall, Kwat, and potentially some other like Amos, Glenn, and Leno.

One thing I will give Pace credit for, despite what can only be described as a erratic approach to free agency, is that very few veterans will be owed significant guaranteed $ past 2016.

Cutler of course is easily cutable, with $2m of dead money in 17 and $1m in 18. Likely gone.

Long is pretty much locked in, but Sitton is expendable after 17.

Houston will be roughly $2m in 17 and $1m in 18, pretty easy to let him go.

McPhee will be similarly easy to let go if his knees prove to be shot, $1.5m dead in 17 and $1m in 18.

Massie, thankfully, carries only $1 and $.5m.

Porter less that $1m combined.

Trevathan and Young will likely be there for a few years, and Freeman and Hicks, both of whom are looking good, will be here through 17 at least.

Obviously the number one priority is getting a franchise QB, and I think they should pay top dollar to extend Alshon even though hi might walk. But these next couple years should be crucial for the whole organization moving forward. I'd expect Porter, Houston, Massie, probably McPhee and definitely Cutler to be gone after this year. That will open up massive amounts of playing time for younger guys, but it will also give Pace an incredible amount of cap space. Probably close to $100 million given the potential increase in the cap. They are at about $55m next year, add $32 for those guys, and with the expected increase it's going to be a huge number.

The free agent market is terrible this year, is a poor way to build a team anyway, and I don't really trust Pace to make great decisions there anyway. But some of that $ has to be spent. Question for everyone: what should Pace do?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First order of business should be to re-sign Alshon. Then draft a player in the 1st that is worth a shit and make a difference. Continue drafting well in rounds 2-5.

Edit: I almost forgot. Ditch Cutler and Houston.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
would be interesting to see what we do with all that cap space once Cutler is off the team. Give that money to Alshon?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Cutler, McPhee, Massie and Houston are all gone. Alshon is going to get a huge pay day. Plus we'll spend big on a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Its funny, but with Alshon, I can see both sides of keeping him and Cutting him.

Outstanding Receiver and talent. But not the best route runner. If they want a more precise offense, Royal fits better, and White is raw enough to learn (and looked better before he got hurt).

If it were me, I'd pay him big money for 2 years and then revisit it. Or hell, franchise him again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its funny, but with Alshon, I can see both sides of keeping him and Cutting him.

Outstanding Receiver and talent. But not the best route runner. If they want a more precise offense, Royal fits better, and White is raw enough to learn (and looked better before he got hurt).

If it were me, I'd pay him big money for 2 years and then revisit it. Or hell, franchise him again.

:obama:

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

seriously would not be smart to do. Should have just given him a contract last year. No way they franchise him again

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

The Bears need to pay Alshon market value. He is the entire offense and literally the only proven playmaker we have.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
The Bears need to pay Alshon market value. He is the entire offense and literally the only proven playmaker we have.

Agreed.

That being said, I could totally see Pace parting ways with Alshon since he's not one of *his* guys.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cutler, McPhee, Massie and Houston are all gone. Alshon is going to get a huge pay day. Plus we'll spend big on a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

I think they need to spend on a OLB that can consistently get to the QB first. That was supposed to be McPhee, but he needs a knee replacement, and Floyd is still a year or two away from being a NFL player. A Pro Bowl CB without a pass rush doesn't make any sense.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I think they need to spend on a OLB that can consistently get to the QB first. That was supposed to be McPhee, but he needs a knee replacement, and Floyd is still a year or two away from being a NFL player. A Pro Bowl CB without a pass rush doesn't make any sense.

I haven't looked over the potential FA list , but proven stud OLB that can go get the QB rarely hit the market. Might have to find this wish list item in the draft.
A top end CB allows the D to bring an extra guy, and usually easier to find in FA.
Get both if they happen to be there....we won't be able to spend all the cap that we will have.
Likely FA spending to me seems like, top end CB, A Hicks part II, and step up and take another crack at an OT.