Coronavirus Projects?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For all of you lucky work from home people, You got any home improvement projects lined up to fill your extra time sans commute?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For all of you lucky work from home people, You got any home improvement projects lined up to fill your extra time sans commute?
No because I have to go the home improvement store to buy things.

Yes, I know they're still open, but I'm trying to be good.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not currently. I need to do some painting, but that sounds awful.

My yard is going to look incredible this spring.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been planning on replacing some wooden garden beds with brick to match the house for 3-4 years now. Gonna be honest, though - I doubt it gets past planning this year either.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Going to organize some of my sports memorabilia and stuff like that. Have boxes in my basement I need to get out and organize.

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not much in the way of that because I don't let things linger I just get it done, but yeah I've got a list of other stuff:

I got some videogames I'm going to get through and go for odd achievements and side missions that I wouldn't have otherwise cared about.

There are a couple books I'm reading too so that's nice.

Cooking. I'm really looking forward to making chili this weekend. Bought 4 pounds of hot sausage this past weekend and have been making sandwiches all week. It's bliss.

There's a backyard full of dog shit. Normally I have a service clean that up in the spring and then we do it ourselves during the summer. Its something to pass the time and now isn't the time for strangers on the property.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine paying to have a pet's shit picked out of your own yard.
I can't trust a person that pays for that service.
Some company came to my door last summer and offered their services. It was $30/month to come by our house and pick up dog shit. Like fuck off, thats my fertilizer!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not really home improvement, per se...

I got the water pump in my car changed out this past weekend.

Then this coming weekend I am building a new PC workstation.

Besdies that nothing much on the horizon.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I live in an older house, was built in 1948, so I am in the middle of an interesting renovation.

I will try to make it all make sense but we are about 80% done currently.

1. Had hail damage so I got a new roof
2.Since we were getting a new roof, there is a large addition that was never vented properly with the old HVAC system so we added some ducting and return air before the roof was done. (saving us have to tie it in, we just had to cut the holes and set the boots and let the roofing company tie it all in.
3. Moved Furnace from water closet and AC from the side of the house into a combo unit on the roof. This required replumbing all the gas lines in the house
4. Swapped out the old water heater to a brand new tankless version!
5. painted and patched up the old water closet.

That is where I am at. To finish still need to do the following.

6. fix the sub flooring in the water closet (there is a large hole that was where the return air came back from the old furnace)
7. add new flooring to water closet, thinking of doing the snap together vinyl stuff that everyone is saying is amazing these days and I figure with it being in a laundry room it will be a good idea to have water proof flooring.
8. Tie in additional venting (The ducting is currently being produced)
9. Add in new washer water box and electrical outlet
10. move washer and dryer from garage into water closet.

The wife is happy to get a laundry room in the house, so am I actually. The furnace and AC are brand new and upgraded to run enough air for the original house and the addition which is nice cause that is our main living area, and after it is all said and done I get a new work bench/work area in the garage where the washer and dryer used to be!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
What type of wood are you using??
It's walnut. Rustic walnut which usually has more imperfections like figure, knots, etc. It's cheap and I actually like the character.

I'm not a cabinet maker by any means, as you can see that my drawer fronts are sold slabs of walnut (typically, plywood is used for this).

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not working from home, I'll just be home due to lockdown, and I don't have any home improvement stuff to work on but I might get around to working on my car. I have an intercooler I've been putting off installing. A second pair of hands would be helpful but I have the time to do it myself. Might knock another car project off my list. Perhaps short shifter. Might as well rotate the tires and change the oil while belly pan is off for the intercooler swap.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, here are the car projects I have lined up:

jacking rails
throttle body spacer
intake manifold spacer
swap intercooler
check/adjust spark plug gaps
rotate tires
change oil
drive like a motherfucker

edit...
shit! can't forget the short shifter.
The short shifter, spacers, and my blow off valve are all made in IL.

Last edited:

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I live in an older house, was built in 1948, so I am in the middle of an interesting renovation.

I will try to make it all make sense but we are about 80% done currently.

1. Had hail damage so I got a new roof
2.Since we were getting a new roof, there is a large addition that was never vented properly with the old HVAC system so we added some ducting and return air before the roof was done. (saving us have to tie it in, we just had to cut the holes and set the boots and let the roofing company tie it all in.
3. Moved Furnace from water closet and AC from the side of the house into a combo unit on the roof. This required replumbing all the gas lines in the house
4. Swapped out the old water heater to a brand new tankless version!
5. painted and patched up the old water closet.

That is where I am at. To finish still need to do the following.

6. fix the sub flooring in the water closet (there is a large hole that was where the return air came back from the old furnace)
7. add new flooring to water closet, thinking of doing the snap together vinyl stuff that everyone is saying is amazing these days and I figure with it being in a laundry room it will be a good idea to have water proof flooring.
8. Tie in additional venting (The ducting is currently being produced)
9. Add in new washer water box and electrical outlet
10. move washer and dryer from garage into water closet.

The wife is happy to get a laundry room in the house, so am I actually. The furnace and AC are brand new and upgraded to run enough air for the original house and the addition which is nice cause that is our main living area, and after it is all said and done I get a new work bench/work area in the garage where the washer and dryer used to be!
All of this sounds good but what the fuck is a water closet?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The closet that holds your water heater and furnace usually.... The one in our house is bigger than a normal one for some reason hence the conversion.
Never heard that before and I have installed over 100 furnaces and water heaters. Fucking buddy scored a big contract and somehow I became part of it. Good money but long hours and hard work. Shut peoples heat and water off for hours they get hostile.