Coronavirus Projects?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My garage is like 90% of the way cleaned and organized. Yard looks good. Pool maintenance up to par and ready for things to warm up. I've got a couple kayak projects I want to do. Thinking about planting a garden in this unused side area I have. I will probably detail my truck this week. If this keeps going I'm going to run out of projects, but if I'm being honest, I kind of love it (so far). I'm always super busy during the week with work, and we always have random dumb shit to do on the weekends, so I'm getting caught up on all sorts of random crap that I never have time for.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I have new carpet being put in on Tuesday, so I've been prepping rooms and painting. However, my biggest project at the moment is the following:

As I may have mentioned, my wife is pregnant. Due date is in July. Now both of my grandfathers are dead, but I had an idea. I'm trying to convince Alan Alda, through Twitter, to stand in as my grandfather. I've enlisted some help via Twitter on making this happen. Of course, because of COVID-19, he might not be able to actually be there, but I'm ok with a Zoom meeting. So, if any of you are on Twitter, ask Alan Alda what he's doing in July.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just bought a new mower from ACE Hardware. Pretty excited about it. My current push mower is about 20 years old and given to me when I bought my house from my dad lol. I've been replacing shit on it for a few years and decided I should upgrade.

Also, plan to stain my deck if it ever stops fucking raining.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Just bought a new mower from ACE Hardware. Pretty excited about it. My current push mower is about 20 years old and given to me when I bought my house from my dad lol. I've been replacing shit on it for a few years and decided I should upgrade.

Remember don't stop anywhere on a plank! when you stop and start again,the overlap can be seen. Stain one plank and keep wet until entire plank os coated!
Thank me later.

You are trying to avoid this
16035_81353_1.jpeg

Last edited:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to start playing guitar again. They’re just sitting there might as well play them. Going to work of speaking French - wife’s project.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to start playing guitar again. They’re just sitting there might as well play them. Going to work of speaking French - wife’s project.

She wants you to be her Gomex Adams? :D

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You may already know this BUT, just in case Menards, Lowes, Home Depot all like to push these acrylic deck stain products. They apply like and look like paint but technically are a stain and will all PEEL within 3 years. I'm not sure which product Maryland used on his deck but it isn't one of the acrylics and it won't peel, and in another couple years the lap marks will weather out and it'll be time to re-stain.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
You may already know this BUT, just in case Menards, Lowes, Home Depot all like to push these acrylic deck stain products. They apply like and look like paint but technically are a stain and will all PEEL within 3 years. I'm not sure which product Maryland used on his deck but it isn't one of the acrylics and it won't peel, and in another couple years the lap marks will weather out and it'll be time to re-stain.
That picture was a Google search. I do it for a living among many other things. But you are right. Decks are pre-treated lumber and not meant to paint. You'd have to sand the bee-jesus out of the planks to ever get proper adhesion.
Unless you are using Acrylic Akolid paint don't bother. Even stains fade in a season.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That picture was a Google search. I do it for a living among many other things. But you are right. Decks are pre-treated lumber and not meant to paint. You'd have to sand the bee-jesus out of the planks to ever get proper adhesion.
Unless you are using Acrylic *Akolid paint don't bother. Even stains fade in a season.
*Alkyd
Those would peel as well because they create a paint film on the surface. Semi transparent oils, like in your picture are the best and won't peel just become weathered and fade.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
*Alkyd
Those would peel as well because they create a paint film on the surface. Semi transparent oils, like in your picture are the best and won't peel just become weathered and fade.

I've never put down anything on an outdoor deck or teak furniture and thought a season later "damn that was a good idea"

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
So do you just use basic stain and a sealer?
An oil based stain will give color to pressure treated lumber. A sealer will help prolong that color but not by years, we're talking months.
Fact is, the weather is brutal towards wood and anything you do regarding changing a woods natural color is not going to last. I'd argue if you want a redish/brownish tint to your deck, you would have to do it once a season and no one has time for that.I'm not arguing that it doesn't look good when you do it, but that it doesn't last.

My recommendation.-----Use no stains-----Power wash old funky deck and then use Thompson's weather seal on the natural wood. Otherwise you will find yourself re-staining every year to fabricate a color in your wood that was never supposed to be there in the first place. This isn't indoor furniture. The sun will fuck up anything you do outdoors.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
An oil based stain will give color to pressure treated lumber. A sealer will help prolong that color but not by years, we're talking months.
Fact is, the weather is brutal towards wood and anything you do regarding changing a woods natural color is not going to last. I'd argue if you want a redish/brownish tint to your deck, you would have to do it once a season and no one has time for that.I'm not arguing that it doesn't look good when you do it, but that it doesn't last.

My recommendation.-----Use no stains-----Power wash old funky deck and then use Thompson's weather seal on the natural wood. Otherwise you will find yourself re-staining every year to fabricate a color in your wood that was never supposed to be there in the first place. This isn't indoor furniture. The sun will fuck up anything you do outdoors.

So skip the stain, and go with good old thompsons... Got it.

Whats is your take on those engineered/plastic decking materials?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
So skip the stain, and go with good old thompsons... Got it.

Whats is your take on those engineered/plastic decking materials?
They are great. Install once and it last years. Power wash after a decade and it looks brand new

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
All of this sounds good but what the fuck is a water closet?

we call the room within the bathroom that holds the toilet the water closet....

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Doom Eternal isn't doing it for me. The game from a couple years ago was way better.

I do wish the videogame industry pulled forward the fall titles right about now. A new Call of Duty would be nice.

Gonna be a long wait until the new XBox then I get me some Halo.

But there's ALWAYS GTA 5. Me and Trevor always have fun.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They are great. Install once and it last years. Power wash after a decade and it looks brand new
When I expanded my deck last summer, I thought about doing composite decking but it was going to cost between 5k-6k I believe and I said fuck it. If I had plans to stay in this house forever then maybe.