Cubs heavy favorites to land Bryce Harper according to odds

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Nobody offering 14 years and id find it hard to imagine hed want 14 years being 26 unless he had options for half those years, have to think hed want another crack at FA .

Plus

I dont see a team risking 7 yr pass 33 paying all that money

I think he will want and get a 14 yr deal, probably with opt outs after years 3, 4, and 6. Depending on how the payments are set, even the signing team will be hoping he opts out.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Bad teams will do bad things. Ref: Rangers and ARod/Miami/Stanton. Don’t doubt the ineptitude of the rich.

Miami made the Stanton deal to make the team worth more money. They had to build it up to sell it, so they could watch the new owners tear it down.

Now, if one of those teams, like Tampa, Miami or some other team not drawing fans end up telling Harper they are trying to move to Vegas, that changes everything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some eyebrows raised this evening when it was observed that the White Sox had unveiled a stage set at Chicago’s United Center featuring Bryce Harper‘s name. As Chris Cwik of Yahoo Sports explains, there’s no reason to think this was the beginning of the roll-out of a signing; our readers from the south side can safely inform friends and neighbors that there’s nothing imminent. More likely, it’s part of a recruiting pitch for the popular young free agent, who is in Chicago today. The news shouldn’t be blown out of proportion, clearly, but that doesn’t mean it’s of no consequence. Evidently, the White Sox are serious enough pursuers that they have secured an in-person visit and are putting resources into a pitch. That certainly dovetails with recent reports and public statements from the organization indicating that the club is looking to spend. It also bodes well for Harper’s market that a team such as the White Sox is making a run at him even after he reportedly turned down a $300MM offer to remain in D.C.
As for the cross-town Cubs, all indications remain that they do not see themselves as a contender for Harper’s services, as ESPNChicago.com’s Jesse Rogers reiterates on Twitter. As Rogers puts it, if the club is “playing possum,” it’s “doing a heck of a job” at selling the act.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Calling it now. Harper goes to sox for 400M+.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Calling it now. Harper goes to sox for 400M+.
Sox will be missing the playoffs for a long time cause they wont be able to afford much talent after that, piecing together average to below average players to form a roster

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sox will be missing the playoffs for a long time cause they wont be able to afford much talent after that, piecing together average to below average players to form a roster

not really up on the sox, but they have 1b, 2b, SS, Eloy will be up, I think they have a few garcias for the rest of the bench/outfield, a highlight center fielder, and pitching even without Kopech and only Abreu is costing some coin.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
not really up on the sox, but they have 1b, 2b, SS, Eloy will be up, I think they have a few garcias for the rest of the bench/outfield, a highlight center fielder, and pitching even without Kopech and only Abreu is costing some coin.
Abreu 32 already

Moncada still questionable, struck out over 200 times last year

Tim Anderson has potential

Engel all defense no bat

A. Garcia has some power, still questionable

Their young pitching from last year are all still questionable, all had ERA between 4 and 6+

Kopech injury sets him back til at least 2020 and he will have to start all over again, so if things go smooth for him and he doesn't fall back or lose anything, he wont be making an impact on MLB level til 2021/22 the earliest

Cease and Jiminez are still unknown at MLB level, yes there that potential but we wont know the impact until they get there...
I mean i wish the cubs still had Jiminez but he could end up being Schwarber his first couple years...

So, im just not sold yet on the sox being close

Adding Harper or Machado and that salary now, i think will set them back not push forward

They need to continue to tank for high picks and try and get lucky with Flips for a couple more years, see what they actually have with the young pitching

Trade Abreu for prospects now while he still has value

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Abreu 32 already

Moncada still questionable, struck out over 200 times last year

Tim Anderson has potential

Engel all defense no bat

A. Garcia has some power, still questionable

Their young pitching from last year are all still questionable, all had ERA between 4 and 6+

Kopech injury sets him back til at least 2020 and he will have to start all over again, so if things go smooth for him and he doesn't fall back or lose anything, he wont be making an impact on MLB level til 2021/22 the earliest

Cease and Jiminez are still unknown at MLB level, yes there that potential but we wont know the impact until they get there...
I mean i wish the cubs still had Jiminez but he could end up being Schwarber his first couple years...

So, im just not sold yet on the sox being close

Adding Harper or Machado and that salary now, i think will set them back not push forward

They need to continue to tank for high picks and try and get lucky with Flips for a couple more years, see what they actually have with the young pitching

Trade Abreu for prospects now while he still has value

Rumor has them in on Nelson Cruz. I would target Donaldson also. That.gives me 3 solid RH power bats with Abreau. I would need 2 LH bats to balance.

Moenceda is like Baez. Just takes time to play at a higher level. The talent is there.

Harper makes sense though. I would target him alone though and build around him. Basically have a 3/4/5 of Aberau/Harper/Jimenez. Then Optimize from in house.

Pitching is another concern. I think they are 2 years out there so they need a TOR. I would over offer Evodeli

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
new reports out today that the cubs are reported in on Harper. Nothing like dropping the cubs name to get the bidding to start.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“a few Garcias to round out the bench”

?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Philly is the main mover this off. Owner announced that they are getting semi stupid soon.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Phillies would be wise to invest in pitching, not a bat

I would go Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrel and Yasmani Grandal.

But they have one of the league’s worst D’s so Manny makes sense for them also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looking at them more SS is a gaping weakness. So they are going to be 100% on Manny. They need a closer also. That means Kimbrel should be targeted too.

They have power on the corners so Harper is not a high demand. SP are young and they were good at getting strike outs. Jake was the worst of the staff in that regard. They need a lefty to split it up some but that could end up a trade honestly.

tim62565

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I don't need Harper. that sort of cash is better spent somewhere else.