Cubs making hard push for Kimbrel

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Were they teammates somewhere?

Come on now. Do you really think that these guys don't ask guys what is real or not.

Most players are skeptical because the visitor clubhouse was a shit hole.

It was supposed to be comic relief. But if you want a honest take ask the guy that has a fresh take.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if this means Morrow is not coming back or if one has nothing to do with the other.
Its probably means the Cubs are going to hold Morrow back until at least August. He comes back and is successful our bullpen becomes nasty.

Cishek, Strop, Morrow, Kimbrel

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder if this means Morrow is not coming back or if one has nothing to do with the other.

You don't hold on a contender. If he adds then they are that much better.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Morrow may very well be back in August, but that's two months away, and may be best case scenario.

Would really like to see Morrow add to the depth - or even be closer - down the stretch.

Depending on whether Kimbrel is himself, the "terrible" pen with Strop, Morrow and Kimbrel later would be a far cry from what we saw in May when Strop was out.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was a good move considering our position. FO knows we have a legit shot at the Series. We didnt have to give up a pick or trade any players. Its just money. This makes the deal really impactful. Probably look for a LOOGY at the deadline.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
You don't hold on a contender. If he adds then they are that much better.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "you don't hold on a contender" but I've been advocating that they sign Kimbrel since the offseason! Like others have mentioned in this thread, if Morrow comes back and Stop remains healthy the bullpen potentially just became a big strength.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Its probably means the Cubs are going to hold Morrow back until at least August. He comes back and is successful our bullpen becomes nasty.

Cishek, Strop, Morrow, Kimbrel
One of these things is not like the others....one of these things just doesn't belong. Hint: It's Cishek. :)

All kidding aside - Cishek as my 6th inning guy? Yes, please. Carl Edwards as my 5th best? I am ok with that.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The biggest question for teams is how Kimbrel might look after an entire offseason off, followed by no Spring Training or competitive games for two-plus months. Maddon noted that, under those circumstances, a pitcher would not be able to join an MLB roster immediately. There would have to be a build-up before adding the arm to the big league pitching staff.
"You'd have to lay out a track there for him to get ready again," Maddon said over the weekend in St. Louis. "Probably a minimum of three weeks, I would say something like that. You'd have to get him in some games. You'd have to get out there and get through the daily process of being sore. ... There's normally going to be a process to get him up to speed."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Multi-year deal. But we don't know yet how many years or mow much money.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The biggest question for teams is how Kimbrel might look after an entire offseason off, followed by no Spring Training or competitive games for two-plus months. Maddon noted that, under those circumstances, a pitcher would not be able to join an MLB roster immediately. There would have to be a build-up before adding the arm to the big league pitching staff.
"You'd have to lay out a track there for him to get ready again," Maddon said over the weekend in St. Louis. "Probably a minimum of three weeks, I would say something like that. You'd have to get him in some games. You'd have to get out there and get through the daily process of being sore. ... There's normally going to be a process to get him up to speed."
Greg Holland came to teh Cards late last spring (season underway). He struggled quite a bit, but was much better later (after StL released him and he signed elsewhere)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Come on now. Do you really think that these guys don't ask guys what is real or not.

Most players are skeptical because the visitor clubhouse was a shit hole.

It was supposed to be comic relief. But if you want a honest take ask the guy that has a fresh take.
If a MLB player doesn't know the Cubs' clubhouse is not the visitor clubhouse - or now even in the same stratosphere - they are not too bright.
I just didn't get the connection you made wth a FA asking a guy who has been here two days what it is like.
I like comic relief more than most, but you have to admit, this one was a whiff. :)
jk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm expecting a week in Azl to train his arm. Then 5 games in the minors. He has been side pitching but it is not the same minus the adrelian rush kicked in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If a MLB player doesn't know the Cubs' clubhouse is not the visitor clubhouse - or now even in the same stratosphere - they are not too bright.
I just didn't get the connection you made wth a FA asking a guy who has been here two days what it is like.
I like comic relief more than most, but you have to admit, this one was a whiff. :)
jk

Not really.

When Cargo made his first interview he seemed a little taken back from the Cubs point of view.

There has always been this under lying thing about the visitors being run down crampped up and dated.

Add to it Tom saved that over haul for last.

That is a under lying mental edge. Home state of the art. Visitor broken club house that you wouldn't put your ex in...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So something I've been thinking about this morning aside from Kimbrel is Morrow. People assume he's just done. While I get that people don't have a ton of faith, supposedly he's doing long toss and some side sessions. It's theoretically possible that by the end of june both he and Kimbrel are with or nearing returns to the cubs. When you add that with Strop returning only having 11.2 innings on his arm this year that's 3 really freaking good arms who are effectively pitching abbreviated seasons.

If that does play out I think you can make the case that the cubs bullpen is one of if not the best in the majors. Keep in mind that the current bullpen without those 3 largely has a 4.17 ERA. which is 10th best in the majors.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So something I've been thinking about this morning aside from Kimbrel is Morrow. People assume he's just done. While I get that people don't have a ton of faith, supposedly he's doing long toss and some side sessions. It's theoretically possible that by the end of june both he and Kimbrel are with or nearing returns to the cubs. When you add that with Strop returning only having 11.2 innings on his arm this year that's 3 really freaking good arms who are effectively pitching abbreviated seasons.

If that does play out I think you can make the case that the cubs bullpen is one of if not the best in the majors. Keep in mind that the current bullpen without those 3 largely has a 4.17 ERA. which is 10th best in the majors.
Nobody is forgetting Morrow, he was an awesome setup guy in LA, all he should be here. If the back end can solidify with Cishek, Strop Kimbrel, then its CJ and Morrow to spell them, not work every day and maybe have some arms left in october.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Nobody is forgetting Morrow, he was an awesome setup guy in LA, all he should be here. If the back end can solidify with Cishek, Strop Kimbrel, then its CJ and Morrow to spell them, not work every day and maybe have some arms left in october.

I still think they add Alzolay at some point too who could be another dominant bullpen arm. I’d also love to see them go get Will Smith depending on what’d it take to get him.

9th- Kimbrel
8th- Morrow (obviously he’d be limited)
7th- Will Smith
Then you have Strop, Cishek, Alzolay as shut down arms to throw out there and really shorten games.
2 final spots would likely be Montgomery and whoever earns it from Edwards, Brach, Kintzler and Chatwood. Brach has been awful. Edwards isn’t trustworthy and has options so to me it’d be figuring out who has an “injury” that sidelines them for the rest of the year between Chatwood and Kintzler. What’s more valuable Chatwoods length for extra inning games or Kintzler as he’s been somewhat effective?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel will earn $10 million this season and $16 million in 2020 and 2021. There is a $1 million buyout on a club/vesting option for the fourth year