Cubs making hard push for Kimbrel

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think they add Alzolay at some point too who could be another dominant bullpen arm. I’d also love to see them go get Will Smith depending on what’d it take to get him.

9th- Kimbrel
8th- Morrow (obviously he’d be limited)
7th- Will Smith
Then you have Strop, Cishek, Alzolay as shut down arms to throw out there and really shorten games.
2 final spots would likely be Montgomery and whoever earns it from Edwards, Brach, Kintzler and Chatwood. Brach has been awful. Edwards isn’t trustworthy and has options so to me it’d be figuring out who has an “injury” that sidelines them for the rest of the year between Chatwood and Kintzler. What’s more valuable Chatwoods length for extra inning games or Kintzler as he’s been somewhat effective?

I would just leave it at Kimbrel being set up by Strop and Cishek.

It will be 2 weeks before that happens so that gives Joe time to decide who gets axed.

After that last game it would be Brach and Ryan that really are the weak links.

Brach for the most part has been very luck driven this year. His WHIP has been ass and the last game just showed what can happen with a clunky pitcher.

Ryan has no business on a contender.

Now if I had to hard guess it would be Brach axed. The investmen/control is not enough to prevent it.

But that doesn't change that Ryan is also a handicap.

As far as Morrow is concerned I wouldn't be. He is not even doing simulation. All he is doing is flat ground toss.

I don't expect him back to be frank.

But that is what this was all about in the end. Shutting the door on a instability. Morrow's option shouldn't be picked up now.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

It will be 2 weeks before that happens so that gives Joe time to decide who gets axed.

Brach for the most part has been very luck driven this year. His WHIP has been ass and the last game just showed what can happen with a clunky pitcher.

Now if I had to hard guess it would be Brach axed. The investmen/control is not enough to prevent it.

As far as Morrow is concerned I wouldn't be. He is not even doing simulation. All he is doing is flat ground toss.

But that is what this was all about in the end. Shutting the door on a instability. Morrow's option shouldn't be picked up now.

I agree that I don’t expect Morrow back. I was really just throwing out my ideal situation I guess.

Brach is frustrating because he has good stuff, I’m just not sure he has any idea where it’s going. 96 mph right down the middle doesn’t work. Ryan isn’t good either. Kintzler has been pretty solid, but honestly I don’t trust him either. He pitches to contact and is suppose to be a ground ball pitcher, but he has been getting by on a lot of hard contact and deep fly balls this year.

Alzolay should get a shot at the back end this year if he keeps dominating AAA. Then next year he can take Hamels rotation spot

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What the fuck is up with Morrow? I haven't heard a damn thing. Is he on track to be back next month? Strop, Morrow, and Kimbrel on the back end would be pretty damn sick.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What the fuck is up with Morrow? I haven't heard a damn thing. Is he on track to be back next month? Strop, Morrow, and Kimbrel on the back end would be pretty damn sick.
Gist of the situation was he had an op that closed out last season. Think it was relatively minor to remove debris. That was supposed to keep him out until like may. During the rehab process there was some pain and they shut him down. It turned out that it was just inflammation IIRC. They then injected some kind of lubrication to fix that. That set him back like a week or two and since then he's been slowly building back up. I haven't seen a definitive time table but I think he's likely approaching rehab starts in the next week or two if everything keeps going well. From there he probably needs like 2-3 weeks to ramp up.

I suspect they will likely take it pretty slow given his history and the fact that they now have kimbrel in the fold. But it wouldn't shock me if he was back after the all-star break.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maddon said probably a minimum of three weeks for Kimbrel in his interview last night.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? He's been sitting on his ass drinking margaritas this whole time?
I misread, it was what he said before they signed him over the weekend in St. Louis. He said you would have to lay out a timeline and it would probably be a minimum of 3 weeks. So, not set in stone at all but that was his thinking before we signed him. I dont think it will change much.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I misread, it was what he said before they signed him over the weekend in St. Louis. He said you would have to lay out a timeline and it would probably be a minimum of 3 weeks. So, not set in stone at all but that was his thinking before we signed him. I dont think it will change much.

Sounds like he was just opining on the worst case scenario then. I can't imagine it would take three weeks for Kimbrel to be ready to go (unless he actually has been sitting on his ass this whole time).

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
KIMBREL HAS BEEN WORKING HARD AND I READ AN ARTICLE WHERE OBSERVERS SAY HIS STUFF IS OFF THE CHARTS GOOD

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm guessing, maybe just hoping that they try Ryan at LOOGY. They keep trying to get innings out of him and that's not going too well. I'd love Morrow to come back and ease Brach's ass out the door.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing, maybe just hoping that they try Ryan at LOOGY. They keep trying to get innings out of him and that's not going too well. I'd love Morrow to come back and ease Brach's ass out the door.
I dont have much faith in Ryan. I would like to trade for one at the deadline.

We also need to get Montgomery going.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He sucks.

My dream trade is with Cleveland and to get Hand.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I like the signing because they got him and a first round pick for the cost of not having Kimbrel for April/May/June. He also solves a problem potentially of a ninth inning guy; a lot easier to go year-year with mid relievers than it is year-year with closers.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Stupid merchandising rules, Kimbrel is wearing 24, even though Strop would have given up the number.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, this is a good thing, right? The Kimbrel signing?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think the good thing is his arm must be rested. He turned down the 17.9 qualifying offer Boston gave him because they would not give him a long term deal. I think most side on Boston having the most analytics, best information, so them not wanting to commit long term was either having someone to replace him or knowing how cap strapped they are going to be and ending up being the 90's yankmees if they did sign him.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So Craig Kimbrel turned 31 in May, Wade Davis turns 34 in September.

if you could sign a 31 year old Wade Davis, here are his stats

29 - 1.00 ERA, 1.19 FIP (set-up)
30 - 0.94 ERA, 2.29 FIP, 17 SV (part-time)
31 - 1.87 ERA, 2.29 FIP, 27 SV
32 - 2.30 ERA, 3.38 FIP, 32 SV (Cubs in 2017)
33 - 4.13 ERA, 3.65 FIP, 45 SV
34 - 2.45 ERA, 2.75 FIP, 44 SV (projected this year)

Does anyone really get that upset if that's Kimbrel's numbers for the next three+ years? Why is Kimbrel worse than Davis?

Here is Kimbrel

29 - 1.43 ERA, 1.42 FIP, 35 SV
30 - 2.74 ERA, 3.13 FIP, 42 SV