CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya neutral move.

Larger need in IF D.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
After Bote and Happ looked like the keystone cops in the middle infield last week I figured the triumphant return of Russell couldn't be far off.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
After Bote and Happ looked like the keystone cops in the middle infield last week I figured the triumphant return of Russell couldn't be far off.

Yeah, I heard Bote got optioned down as well. It was surprising, as I had been told by CCS Intelligentsia that the Cubs would be optioning Wick and Ryan (aka Cubs Bullpen).

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm happy to see Russell get another chance in Chicago or somewhere else. I haven't followed his performance in tripple A so idk if he's more focused but if he hasn't gotten the message by now he isn't going to.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm happy to see Russell get another chance in Chicago or somewhere else. I haven't followed his performance in tripple A so idk if he's more focused but if he hasn't gotten the message by now he isn't going to.

.281/.387/.563 7 HR combined effort at Iowa. 96 AB so a decent sample size.

Almora has 9 AB there. Hitting .333 so 3 for 9. No walks and that shouldn't change much. He should get back to a .300 hitter there but a .300 hitter with a .320 OBA is not what makes you successful in the majors. I don't have high hopes for him at all.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another note:

Ben Zobrist is on a 3 day break and will open up at another playing level.

Combined effort:
27 AB .222/.344/.481 2 HR 5 BB 6 SO.
The BA is off but his BB:SO ratio is at Rizzo levels and you can expect his BA to pick up as his timing improves. He should be a impact in Sept at 2B IMO. I would think that he would be on a 3 on 2 off routine with Happ and Russell filling in.

But over all as long as they are hovering they should win the NL central. I don't see many teams with the ammo that they have pending with roster expansion.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another note:

Ben Zobrist is on a 3 day break and will open up at another playing level.

Combined effort:
27 AB .222/.344/.481 2 HR 5 BB 6 SO.
The BA is off but his BB:SO ratio is at Rizzo levels and you can expect his BA to pick up as his timing improves. He should be a impact in Sept at 2B IMO. I would think that he would be on a 3 on 2 off routine with Happ and Russell filling in.

But over all as long as they are hovering they should win the NL central. I don't see many teams with the ammo that they have pending with roster expansion.
It just seems like they always find a way to lose on the road and have wasted some very good outings by their starting pitchers but yeah, nobody else has a Zobrist or Russell in their back pocket they can whip out. My gut says they won't hold on to the division lead but I'd be glad to be wrong.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I heard Bote got optioned down as well. It was surprising, as I had been told by CCS Intelligentsia that the Cubs would be optioning Wick and Ryan (aka Cubs Bullpen).
As far as I can tell Wick's been the most dependable arm in the pen lately.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It just seems like they always find a way to lose on the road and have wasted some very good outings by their starting pitchers but yeah, nobody else has a Zobrist or Russell in their back pocket they can whip out. My gut says they won't hold on to the division lead but I'd be glad to be wrong.

Well I see it as Zo is the missing cog for the line up. Jason had a good game but he has suffered at it. Zo is the best lead off. Peroid. And I expect Sept that he will be at 2B loose. With the added roster they can shift guys around to keep them fresh and it will be taken advantage of.

But when the games are on the line

Zo 2B
Castellino RF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Heyward CF
Contreras C
Schwarber LF

Staple that shut.

The bench should change by match up. But I expect it to be Happ and Caritini locked in. Russell in for Zo late. Kemp is a maybe as a PH for a series. Almora and Bote have be sub avg vs LHP so not ideal as PH.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I see it as Zo is the missing cog for the line up. Jason had a good game but he has suffered at it. Zo is the best lead off. Peroid. And I expect Sept that he will be at 2B loose. With the added roster they can shift guys around to keep them fresh and it will be taken advantage of.

But when the games are on the line

Zo 2B
Castellino RF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Heyward CF
Contreras C
Schwarber LF

Staple that shut.

The bench should change by match up. But I expect it to be Happ and Caritini locked in. Russell in for Zo late. Kemp is a maybe as a PH for a series. Almora and Bote have be sub avg vs LHP so not ideal as PH.
Who is the defensive sub for Schwarber with a late lead?