Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Per Morosi from this article: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

MLB.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that Chicago is showing “continued interest” in trading for Merrifield, who just completed the first season of the four-year, $16.25 million extension he signed with Kansas City at the beginning of 2019. Merrifield remains cheap even after signing that extension (he’ll make $5 million in ’20), and the Cubs could be in the market for a middle infielder to slot next to Javier Báez.

Merrifield, 30, continued to be an accomplished hitter at the plate (Major League-most 206 hits and 10 triples) and versatile in the field this year, logging 77 games in the outfield along with 82 at second base. He’s also a consistent contact hitter, which is a skill the Cubs generally lacked during their 2019 offensive struggles.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Enamored with his SB dropping 50%, and getting caught 1/3 of his attempts?

Or the opportunity to get a guy over 30 in decline?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Stolen bases don’t matter all that much. He could stop stealing altogether and it wouldn’t matter. They need him to be a stable bat in the leadoff spot.

But yeah there is probably better options

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I really feel that this is a mistake. They would be playing push button on the start time for 2B vs letting Nico develop.

Nico would be the blue Chip for sure with no place for him to play and don't say CF because that is 100% bull shit logic.

Yeah, who on earth would want a lead off hitter with a 4.0 WAR last year that will only be making around 5 mil a year for the next 3 years, when we could bank on a triple A player instead? Jesus Christ people, you aren’t going to find a much better lead off option for the cubs next year. Not to mention merrifield can play CF with nico at 2b some if nico shows he belongs. It would give the cubs a ton more flexibility. The only real question is, what would the cubs have to give up to get Whit

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, who on earth would want a lead off hitter with a 4.0 WAR last year that will only be making around 5 mil a year for the next 3 years, when we could bank on a triple A player instead? Jesus Christ people, you aren’t going to find a much better lead off option for the cubs next year. Not to mention merrifield can play CF with nico at 2b some if nico shows he belongs. It would give the cubs a ton more flexibility. The only real question is, what would the cubs have to give up to get Whit

TL said it better

But for your question.

Nico and Mills

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Stolen bases don’t matter all that much. He could stop stealing altogether and it wouldn’t matter. They need him to be a stable bat in the leadoff spot.

But yeah there is probably better options
Yeah, I am not saying SB is a big plus now, but that was what gave him some of his value.

I am lukewarm if he costs very little. At a high cost? No way!

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I am not saying SB is a big plus now, but that was what gave him some of his value.

I am lukewarm if he costs very little. At a high cost? No way!

And it can be pointed out he still put up a WAR of 4.0 with said drop. Of course it comes down to cost, but we're talking about a player who's turning 31, not 35. He brings stability to a lineup spot the Cubs need desperately.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And it can be pointed out he still put up a WAR of 4.0 with said drop. Of course it comes down to cost, but we're talking about a player who's turning 31, not 35. He brings stability to a lineup spot the Cubs need desperately.

Nico and Miller would be my offer. Nico most likely ends up equal talent in 3 years and the Cubs are just saving the wait time here.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Only on ChiCitySports could there be a thread with people bitching about trying to get Whit. Incredible. God Damn Theo always trying to get better, how dare he.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only on ChiCitySports could there be a thread with people bitching about trying to get Whit. Incredible. God Damn Theo always trying to get better, how dare he.

Nico most likely is Whit in 3 years. I get if they are looking at a 3 year window and then bail.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I really feel that this is a mistake. They would be playing push button on the start time for 2B vs letting Nico develop.

Nico would be the blue Chip for sure with no place for him to play and don't say CF because that is 100% bull shit logic.

I was convinced that you were the one that started that Nico in CF on a few of your 4 consecutive posts within 12 minute rants.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Only the mindless fans who want the biggest names and then find a reason to blame someone else for not making the playoffs. Some of us waited a whole lot longer than the millenials that started to follow the winning team and it was not that they won, it was because they won because of the build. Well, build mentality is back if you stick with Nico, Merrifield is panic. And giving up a player like Nico to get this guy is Gleybor all over again.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Only the mindless fans who want the biggest names and then find a reason to blame someone else for not making the playoffs. Some of us waited a whole lot longer than the millenials that started to follow the winning team and it was not that they won, it was because they won because of the build. Well, build mentality is back if you stick with Nico, Merrifield is panic. And giving up a player like Nico to get this guy is Gleybor all over again.

Nico is nowhere near the talent of gleybor. Nico could end up being a fine player, but it’s a complete unknown still at this point if he will stick long term in the majors. Whit is a known commodity, and an all star caliber one at that. Decisions like this is what Theo gets paid the big bucks to make. Also...okay boomer

Castor76

Liked Posts:

So you're complaining about a move that gave the Cubs their first title in 108 that costs the Cubs a player who at the time was blocked by two players, one of whom seems to be a really good SS now.

Lead off has been a hole since 2017. Plugging that hole is not a panic move.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Nico is nowhere near the talent of gleybor. Nico could end up being a fine player, but it’s a complete unknown still at this point if he will stick long term in the majors. Whit is a known commodity, and an all star caliber one at that. Decisions like this is what Theo gets paid the big bucks to make. Also...okay boomer
I am not saying he is anywhere near the talent of Gleybor, its giving up a player who is the player we are trading for just because that player has a bigger name.

All Theo is good at is developing. Why cant you let him do it. How did he get a guy like Nico at 25? Let that be the story that Theo found and developed the kid and he is our starting 2Bman.

It cant be to deal them away because the system is so talented while the main problems stay here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So you're complaining about a move that gave the Cubs their first title in 108 that costs the Cubs a player who at the time was blocked by two players, one of whom seems to be a really good SS now.

Lead off has been a hole since 2017. Plugging that hole is not a panic move.
Like I said, what might have been, first title in109 years? Then back to back titles, first time in 109 years? Instead we are in retooling, rebuilding, threatening to trade players who wont accept a deal while we bring in more expensive players to block our 4 2B men.
How did the LaStella dump for Nose work out for 4 times the money?
How soon will this guy be another reason Theo should not deal or sign free agents anymore
Where are the good deals? Lester 2015, yeah 11-12, 3.43 era, not the ace, Rossy to be his catcher, then Zobrist 2016.

Heyward was and is a joke, Nose, joke, Did not get Maldonado as a free agent, came here by trade disgruntled and stuck us with tony.

That is it, it has been shit since then. Why is everyone fighting going back to what worked, draft and development?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was convinced that you were the one that started that Nico in CF on a few of your 4 consecutive posts within 12 minute rants.

I'm not sure to be honest. Cubs.com has been suggesting it. I do not agree with it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And I feel if they did this Theo is playing for this contract and plans to move on after it. Putting out a contender should be the goal and figuring the farm shouldn't be.

I believe that the Ricketts pretty much said do what you want with in first tax. Theo has 100% control up to this point with in the budget. I just believe this year is a reset.

So with this in mind I believe they will extend Baez. Best bet is letting it start in 2021 and giving him arb this year so the AAV doesn't count against this year.

That point they really have to figure out commitments.

KC just got bought so we really don't know what that team is going to do this year. Fire sale or retool.

On the surface they should stick with Nico and DFA Russell and Descalso. Sure they will end up paying Descalso's contract but that opens up Bote and Nico for IF duty and those 2 have more upside out of the bunch.

If they are going to deal it should be for pitching depth system wise. That is the biggest area of concern with a rotation aging and short term control.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I am not saying he is anywhere near the talent of Gleybor, its giving up a player who is the player we are trading for just because that player has a bigger name.

All Theo is good at is developing. Why cant you let him do it. How did he get a guy like Nico at 25? Let that be the story that Theo found and developed the kid and he is our starting 2Bman.

It cant be to deal them away because the system is so talented while the main problems stay here.

Without giving up gleybor for a “big name(Chapman),” the cubs don’t win the World Series in 2016. Would it be great to still have gleybor? Sure...but that’s not reality. They don’t have a WS banner hanging without making that tough decision. Theo isn’t good at developing...that’s why there have been literally 0 pitchers developed, and you can argue the development of many of the position players has been underwhelming as well.