Cubs Sign Ben Zobrist

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, to an extent. This is why the whole he didn't care about drafting is bs. He was big in international but doesn't have the money or asserts theo has out there. Not, that I am saying anything about theo. It shows an ownership issue. True story that he had half the FO. Half. That's a lot. Also. He takes grief for Soriano which he didn't sign and fukudome. People forget fukudome chose the Cubs. He signed for less money. He raised the bar for what Cubs fans expected and he gets shit on because like I said he had a wrong bounce from being a legend. The guy is extremely respected in baseball but just not by Cubs fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many guys that he was involved with drafting became every day much less stars.

That he didn't toss away for the short term.

I'm giving him Shark, Castro and Cashner. You can add LeMeheu as he didn't trade him. Before Patterson was a 4th OF. never became what his billing was.

Seems his best ended up traded before becoming a Cub. Archer and Donaldson are the 2 most impact draft choices that he traded out. But it goes further back on him just trading away quality players for short term gains.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yeah he had the #1 farm system, how many of those guys actually panned out? Take a look at first round draft picks under Hendry and it would be enough to make any Cubs fan cry. His best pick Archer, he traded away for Garza. Cubs had a lot of top prospects under Hendry but one after another they failed.

The leftovers Theo took over lead to an awful few years, but if he kept the team intact they were winning 75 games instead of 65 games.

Archer came over in the Mark DeRosa trade to Cleveland. He was not a Hendry draft pick. but I know what you meant.

The saying "look at the stupid people and don't do what they do" kinda applies here. The Cubs were trying to compete every year. When that soured, there was nothing to fall back on.

If you look at successful teams with long runs, you can look no further than the Giants and Cardinals for example. Both developed a lot of home grown talent, and then spashed a few free agent signings along the way to fill out any voids in the roster. Sound familiar?

Now look at the amount of years these teams have been at or near the top of their own division, while being outspent by a large market team.

The Yankees just might be the next team to follow this pattern. Not with the rebuild thing, but with the farm. When was the last time you seen this many free agents out there, and good ones, not being approached by the Yankees?

In fact, Hank Steinbrenner was quoted as saying that "teams don't have to spend 200 million to win a WS", right?

Theo is doing something Cubs fans have never seen. It isn't just about building the farm. It is having the talent in waves. Has there ever been a GM for the Cubs talk about sustained success? Not to my recollection there hasn't.

The game is ever changing, and this front office has changed things all of the way throughout the organization, and it will change again, and again with impending moves.

Adapt, or die I say.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This signing is straight up dumb. 35 and changing leagues? Theo may win trades but his contracts have been shit

FUCK THIS GUY!

Now Castro is a Yankee. I hate this team right now. Traded one of my favorites to my least favorite team not named the Cardinals.

Now we are like the NL version of the Yankees. Signing all these old as fuck cunts.

i was on the team trade Castro for pitching but this is not what i meant..
Just for fun, he's a taste.... let's relive the magic of this thread.... Sorry Silence....

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

MLB network loves what the Cubs have done today, while some here engage in wailing and gnashing of teeth.

That's how I see it. Now I do like what Atlanta got in return for Miller. Did the Dodgers get better? Nope. SF? Nope. So AZ is more competitive now and the West will be tougher.

What the Cubs gained was a WS winning presence and leadership that Castro could not match.

Since he got traded to the Royals, you're being irrational bringing up the A's. Castro was not a leader. This team needs more than Rizzo and a once every 5 days catcher. Ben is a great team player with WS experience. And a switch hitter. It was a good signing and trade. Castro is going to a good situation for him, too.

Oh, and, did you see how well he did in the WS? That's money.

LOL. Please explain what positions Castro plays that Zobrist can't. Oops. Zobrist plays even more. Happ was drafted out of college. He's close to MLB within 2 years. Zobrist' primary years of starting are the next two.

What leadership did Castro provide next to Rizzo? He didnt. If you want a WS ring, quit bitching and understand they got a guy who takes advanced bats, doesn't strike out much and leads by example.
Just a sampling of my posts in this thread. I loved the signing and knew what Zobrist was bringing to the table.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Ben Zobrist, World Series MVP

Starlin Castro, 1.1 WAR starter

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just for fun, he's a taste.... let's relive the magic of this thread.... Sorry Silence....

I ate crow on Zobrist but I was correct on my feelings. It was an all in move. I didn't mind Zobrist. I hated the 4 years. He got very tired this year. That's going to get worse. Good news, Baez had made significant strides where zobie can rest

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I ate crow on Zobrist but I was correct on my feelings. It was an all in move. I didn't mind Zobrist. I hated the 4 years. He got very tired this year. That's going to get worse. Good news, Baez had made significant strides where zobie can rest

Revisionist history.