Cubs Sign Jason Hammel

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
:fap:

Clearly the difference between a 70 win team and a 90 win team

An upgrade to the staff is an upgrade to the staff.

Is Lester going to make up that 20 wins by himself? :shrug:

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I like this signing. Theo is aiming high with Lester and we aimed high with Russell Martin. Hammels had good success here and he's certainly a huge upgrade over EJax. I still think Theo/Jed will go after another SP if we miss out on Lester.

Hammels at $9M on a short contract seems like a safe bet to me.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I wonder if since we just signed him as our other "pitcher to get", before signing a big name, that they have some inkling that Lester is headed our way?

I mean, wouldn't you want to make sure you get the big guy before getting any others?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
he is what he is.. plenty of starters come out of Colorado and Baltimore with better stats over the years

he going to be 32 YO, he not going to all of a sudden become this stud pitcher we been waiting for and need at the top of the rotation..
there cheaper options on their roster now, who could be a 4,5 starter...

they needed to get someone to lead the staff at the TOR.. what they got is a veteran starter who a 4,5 but their going to put at 2 ahead of a 2nd yr starter and 2 other 4/5 type starters..

I guarantee you by July everyone going to hate this deal... they failed to get their target, so they grabbed someone who said he wanted to come back here..
they need to add players who going to help them win more games, hammell not going to help them win more games

No, he's not going to be a stud pitcher. that's why he is getting 40% of what a stud FA pitcher will get. 10 million vs 25 million.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I wonder if since we just signed him as our other "pitcher to get", before signing a big name, that they have some inkling that Lester is headed our way?

I mean, wouldn't you want to make sure you get the big guy before getting any others?

No. Why do you need to get the ace before the "other guy" when you know you need both?

If they don't get Lester, they may wait for an ace and go after another 2nd tier type - Liriano, for example.

They may go after Shields (I actually hope not). Or maybe they renew the Cole Hamels talks. (Not my first choice either because of giving up people vs just money)

Six

Liked Posts:
I have faith that they sign Lester, and scherzer, and next yr we get price. (what? I cant dream?)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That was my point...
the cubs need TOR guys not another 4/ 5 fill in..

They need TOR, no doubt about it.

But they also needed a reliable middle rotation guy and Hammel gives them more options, without costing people. It's a good signing. If it means Edwin Jackson goes, it's even better.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

But they also needed a reliable middle rotation guy and Hammel gives them more options, without costing people. It's a good signing. If it means Edwin Jackson goes, it's even better.
The issue is you had that on the team already and now you are out $20 million.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

He a bottom of rotation starter..

What are the options he gives ?

If he replacing edwin Jackson then if they trade away jackson and eat say 9 of his 13 owed for the year.. then their basically paying 19 mil for a no. 3 or 4 starter in their rotation to gain what 4-5 more wins...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The issue is you had that on the team already and now you are out $20 million.
This issue is that they aren't sure what they have and Hammel provides insurance in that they know what he is. This is about providing stability in the staff while the young bats get seasoned this year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This issue is that they aren't sure what they have and Hammel provides insurance in that they know what he is. This is about providing stability in the staff while the young bats get seasoned this year.

See, and I think they have insurance. They got like 6-8 guys that can do the roll.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trust me, the hater in me say ...HA! HA! I LOVE THE MOVE!

But it's Christmas and I am trying to be the unbiased brett05 on this.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
See, and I think they have insurance. They got like 6-8 guys that can do the roll.
Agree., their going to pay 9 mil for a guy to get them what 10-12 wins.. if there was no one better they could get for a few extra mil more, then save the 9 mil for a better needed position player and stick with what they have on roster for 10-12 wins.

Shit.. take 3 of that 9 and offer it towards lester 23 per and make it 26 per..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Trust me, the hater in me say ...HA! HA! I LOVE THE MOVE!

But it's Christmas and I am trying to be the unbiased brett05 on this.
Kenny gonna screw the sox for not letting him go to Toronto and give oakland all their top kids for Samardzija. .lol

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can't believe I am going to say this.....I hope it works out for the Cubs with Hammel.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I agree with you, but they are all young and inexperienced. This is one of those Vet presence type of gets, imho.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
i also don't really get the hate some have. It's a 2 year deal. Presumably they are going to attempt to get rid of Jackson. Turner, Straily, Doubront and Wada are all risky options. I like Hendricks but he is going to have to prove he can do it over the long haul. Wood had a pretty terrible year. All of those options are questionable. Even if Hammel is more like his career numbers there's a realistic chances he's better than the majority of those options. More importantly Hammel buys them a few years to pursue better options. I'd much rather this deal than say Jake Peavy for 3-4 years.