Cubs Sign Jason Hammel

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Trust me, the hater in me say ...HA! HA! I LOVE THE MOVE!

But it's Christmas and I am trying to be the unbiased brett05 on this.

Shouldn't you be preparing to justify Sox giving up prospects for one year of Shark (and his 8-9 expected wins)?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
All those years spent complaining about not spending any money. Now they sign a guy that makes the team better and people are mad because he won't win the CY Young anytime soon. If he brings 1-2 extra wins then it is worth it. Especially if injuries happen as expected, he provides much needed depth. Wada, and Hendricks are due for a reality check next season, and Turner/Dubront are wild cards. Hammel brings stability at a cheap cost

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
All those years spent complaining about not spending any money. Now they sign a guy that makes the team better and people are mad because he won't win the CY Young anytime soon. If he brings 1-2 extra wins then it is worth it. Especially if injuries happen as expected, he provides much needed depth. Wada, and Hendricks are due for a reality check next season, and Turner/Dubront are wild cards. Hammel brings stability at a cheap cost

People bitch about everything.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't you be preparing to justify Sox giving up prospects for one year of Shark (and his 8-9 expected wins)?

he wouldnt be pitching with fill ins and not ready yet specs. he would have proven hitters backing his games.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
he wouldnt be pitching with fill ins and not ready yet specs. he would have proven hitters backing his games.

The same proven hitters that enabled Sales to win just 12 games with a 2 ERA...

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

So... one year of Jose Abreu, Adam Eaton, Alexi Ramirez and six other dudes?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hammel did well while he was here and put together a respectable final two months with the A's in tough division. People are throwing a fit about his first month in Oakland that skewed an otherwise very, very solid season. And for nine million dollars annually, I'll take that. He's got ties to Maddon (pitched during Maddon's first three years in Tampa) and has been open about enjoying his time in Chicago. The Cubs now have a plethora of options to flesh out the rotation behind Arrieta and Hendricks, who seem to be locks. Wood, Wada, Jackson, Turner, and now Hammel... Trade fodder, spot starters, I like the pitching depth the Cubs are creating. Cubs could look to package some ancillary pieces to fill in their hole in left field and behind the plate so they don't have to spend premium dollars for non-premium position players.

Solid signing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Another thought... Hammel got essentially less than Feldman did last year in FA. I'd argue that Hammel was better than Feldman was the year prior and the cubs are paying him less and are on the hook for fewer years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

He has yet to win 10 games in a single season. TEN!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still happy about Hammel. Looks like they will trade for Montenero and are looking like the Fav for Lester. Rumor has it if they win Lester they will look to fast forward and add another bat. Expect LF. It would make sense to trade Jaxx for Bourn.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like at this time last year this forum was doing nothing but looking at possible prospects in the minor league system. This is a refreshing turn of events in a year. Can't wait for more signings and spring training.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
i also don't really get the hate some have. It's a 2 year deal. Presumably they are going to attempt to get rid of Jackson. Turner, Straily, Doubront and Wada are all risky options. I like Hendricks but he is going to have to prove he can do it over the long haul. Wood had a pretty terrible year. All of those options are questionable. Even if Hammel is more like his career numbers there's a realistic chances he's better than the majority of those options. More importantly Hammel buys them a few years to pursue better options. I'd much rather this deal than say Jake Peavy for 3-4 years.

Unless the dollars were the same but I am not sure Jake gets less than the $10 million Jason got.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

You genuinely think Shark gets 9 or less wins on the White Sox or is it your hatred? I am ok if it is your hatred. :)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You genuinely think Shark gets 9 or less wins on the White Sox or is it your hatred? I am ok if it is your hatred. :)
He probably ends with 10-12 wins...

He probably ends up traded by deadline though...

They better hope Robertson gets them 40 saves for 11.5 mil per. Lot of money for a guy with 1 yr of closing games..

TL1961

Liked Posts:

No, I think this could be his break through year when he gets to double digit wins for the first time in his career. he's over 30 years old, and has yet to win 10 in a single season.

Blame the Cubs if you have to, but he went to the best team in baseball on July 4th, and won 5 in three months. So, yeah, that projects to 10. :)

I know, the Sox are good, so he should win many more. Then again, Chris Sale was much better last year, and he won 12. So, maybe we'll belive Shark will win more when he finally does it. He's in his FA year, so now is the time!

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I don't hate the Sox. I don't care enough about them to have such strong feelings.