Cubs thoughts - 8/5

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
*Castellanos has been a great addition, but can we reverse that Maldonado deal? To me, that was the biggest news of the weekend...Contreras out for at least 10 days, most likely more. I guess 'resting' him following off days didn't really do anything other than limit his PAs when healthy.

*Not saying that the Brewers are out of it as some in the media are implying, but they do look like a shell of their 2018 team. Yelich is better, but the lineup around him has fallen off some (Lorenzo Cain?). Brewers bullpen just as much of a mess as the Cubs, too. I think in terms of the NL Central race, the A's helped out the Cubs just as much, because the Cards are the competition for the division, not the Brewers.

*Speaking of A's, they are a tough matchup for the Cubs. They are like the AL version of the Braves. I'll be surprised if the Cubs win 2 of 3 even though they are at home.

*The most promising aspect of the Cubs post ASB is Darvish's consistency. His stuff has always been unhittable, its just been highly walkable. 2 walks in his last 6 starts is incredible. If he continues playing well, the Cubs could make some noise in the postseason if he, Hendricks and Hamels are in good form (and Hamels isn't relegated to long relief in the postseason, HA!). I figure the Cubs will have to overcome Maddon's usage of Lester in the 2019 postseason.

*It was nice to see the Cubs bullpen hold up well. Two runs in three games is acceptable, especially when Chatwood was one of the pitchers used. Kyle Ryan even got a couple right-handed batters out in the first game. Go figure, right? I can't foresee the Cubs sending down Wick and Ryan; they are simply too valuable/effective in their current roles.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The bullpen is interesting. Right now, I'd say you have

Long - Chatwood
LOOGY - Holland, Ryan
MR - Wick, Kintzler, Phelps
8th inning - Cishek
CL - Kimbrel
IL - Strop, Morrow

The interesting thing is that Joe usually plays his 7th/8th/9th fairly consistently so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. The only real game we saw his preferences on display was the 4-1 win on Saturday and that was Phelps in the 6th for the top of the Brewers order then Wick in the 7th, Ryan/Cishek in the 8th, Kimbrel in the 9th. Phelps pitched better than his line indicated but obviously the Cubs have had issues with trading for guys in the bullpen and then having them flame out almost immediately (Wilson, Kintzler) so will be something to keep an eye on. If the Cubs get Morrow and/or Strop back, I would assume they would fall into the MR group and then if they pitch well, would create a 7th inning guy kind of how it was right before the Strop injury.

The other thing to remember about saying Ryan or Wick would go down is not that they're pitching the worse but that they're the only ones with options to go down. Holland, Phelps, Kintzler, Cishek, Chatwood all do not have options and would have to face waivers to go down and in the case of Phelps, he has a very attractive team option (1M if he has less than 30 appearances, 3M if less than 39) that would likely be picked up by any team if he were released.

With regards to the lineups, it seems that Joe has settled on his "big boy" lineup

Heyward
Castellanos (note that he did get the start in LF on Saturday)
Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Schwarber (RH) / Almora (LH)
Caratini
Bote/Kemp