Cubs To Keep Jim Hendry

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will hold onto general manager Jim Hendry, barring a change of thinking among the the team's owners, the Ricketts family, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter).

There has been plenty of speculation over the course of this season, another disappointing one for the North Siders, that this could be Hendry's last year at the helm, although it has been reported previously on several occasions that the Ricketts and Hendry have a strong relationship. Tom Ricketts, chairman and one of the owners of the Cubs, gave Hendry a vote of confidence last season.

Hendry became the GM of the Cubs in 2002, succeeding Andy MacPhail. The Cubs have reached the postseason three times under his guidance.
Cubs To Retain GM Jim Hendry: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
:obama: :obama: :obama: :obama: :obama: :obama: :obama: :obama:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I havent watched a game in a few months and I refuse to watch or spend money on the franchise until he and others are gone.

I feel like an Intervention is needed.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
So much fucking fail. They wonder why they haven't won anything in 103 years. Get your head out of your ass, Ricketts.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
To be fair, the free agency bonanza of 07 was brought on by the Tribune to increase the value of the team. Hendry's trying to contend, but it's not working.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
wait what, ......

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:yeah:

:cubstroll:

Dan0mite

Liked Posts:
Is this just his opinion or does he have some proof? The MLBTR article doesn't give a lot of info and tweet is also very vague on that front.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing this is mostly speculation. As I've said if they keep Hendry and the payroll drops as much as DewsSox is predicting than there will be a lot of upset fans, myself included.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
CO
I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

Me:
scaled.php

fuck.this.shit.

FIRE RICKETTS

AnythingChicago

You'rrrrre out!
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs don't fire Hendry, I'll happily become a Nationals fan.

No, that's not gonna happen. But still: FIRE HENDRY!!!!!!!!!!

jim-hendry-300x203.jpg

HOW CAN YOU NOT FIRE THAT!?!?!?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs don't fire Hendry, I'll happily become a Nationals fan.No, that's not gonna happen. But still: FIRE HENDRY!!!!!!!!!!

jim-hendry-300x203.jpg

HOW CAN YOU NOT FIRE THAT!?!?!?

I told my dad if i ever did switch teams (will never happen) that i would also pick WSN cause they never won WS before

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So people still going to suck Ricketts dick here?

I am not sure if I fall under that category as far as your concerned, but here is what I've stated about Ricketts so far. An owner has basically two jobs to build a successful franchise. First is to provide the financial resources to put together a successful organization. Second is to hire the right people at the top to make decisions on how to use those resources. Lets look at those two categories.

1. Currently the Cubs payroll is 134 million according to Cots which I believe is second only to the Phillies in the NL. 134 million spent wisely is more than enough to build a successful major league team. Beyond that this team is likely to have spent more on signing amateur draftees than ever before, more on international free agents, and building a new academy in the Dominican Republic. If the payroll continues to drop though, and by the drastic amounts Dews has suggested, than my opinion on number 1 changes, but as of right now I don't see how anyone can argue that Ricketts isn't providing the resources needed.

2. Putting the right people in charge. He clearly has failed at that so far. However, I will say that I don't think it was wrong for him to bring back the same leadership structure last year. However, after that debacle a change should have been made, and the obvious one would have been to bring in a real President of Baseball Operations to oversee this organization. He didn't do that. If the report is true, that Hendry and everyone else is to be retained, then Ricketts will have failed at this too.

So that is why I have been saying that if those 2 things happening then my attitude towards Ricketts is going to change from mostly indifference right now.

AnythingChicago

You'rrrrre out!
Liked Posts:
I told my dad if i ever did switch teams (will never happen) that i would also pick WSN cause they never won WS before

That's a good philosophy to have. Better that than being all "Fuck it, I'm rooting for the Yankees".

And I live near Washington, love the ballpark, and have good access to the city. So if the Cubs relocated (never will happen), then you could call me AnythingNationals.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am not sure if I fall under that category as far as your concerned, but here is what I've stated about Ricketts so far. An owner has basically two jobs to build a successful franchise. First is to provide the financial resources to put together a successful organization. Second is to hire the right people at the top to make decisions on how to use those resources. Lets look at those two categories.

1. Currently the Cubs payroll is 134 million according to Cots which I believe is second only to the Phillies in the NL. 134 million spent wisely is more than enough to build a successful major league team. Beyond that this team is likely to have spent more on signing amateur draftees than ever before, more on international free agents, and building a new academy in the Dominican Republic. If the payroll continues to drop though, and by the drastic amounts Dews has suggested, than my opinion on number 1 changes, but as of right now I don't see how anyone can argue that Ricketts isn't providing the resources needed.

2. Putting the right people in charge. He clearly has failed at that so far. However, I will say that I don't think it was wrong for him to bring back the same leadership structure last year. However, after that debacle a change should have been made, and the obvious one would have been to bring in a real President of Baseball Operations to oversee this organization. He didn't do that. If the report is true, that Hendry and everyone else is to be retained, then Ricketts will have failed at this too.

So that is why I have been saying that if those 2 things happening then my attitude towards Ricketts is going to change from mostly indifference right now.

frankly, i feel somewhat indifferent towards ricketts as well right now(mostly because i think hendry as a GM has served his time and has overpayed his last veteran...frankly its disappointing we have the 2nd highest payroll and we are at our current state...goes to show how we completely fell off after our free agents we shoveled cash for slowed down..which ties in to the point i have reiterated about 600 trillion times..you build the foundation of a team using prospects(farm system) not overpaying free agents who will either be gone before you know it or not live up to their contract...)

frankly i have been wondering what direction ricketts and the rest of the personnel are going to take this offseason..and its not the offseason yet..but i see this wagon going a little off the road i was hoping for

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well as it isnt good news to see a tweet about this, it isnt set in stone.

I think if he is back next year, this is a bad thing. This is a situation where you build from the top down, and the top being the front office.

Back to back days of bad news for the cubs, it seems like there is a lot of chaos and stupidity running through this franchise right now.

Cub fans should never feel bad about being fans of the cubs, the ownership and the management should be the ones feeling bad.

Usually the only person here that I tear into is CO, and we all know why....but besides him I do feel for you guys on here and cub fans in general. I think this is beyond face value ribbing of the cubs failures, this is just awful. No words can explain this mess.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I have been predicting this same thing the whole season. I fully think Hendry and Quade will be back next year. Then when their contracts are both up at years end, a new GM a new Manager and a fresh start.

Maybe even fired midway next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.