Cubs trade Maldonado

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Lange i'm kinda fine with losing. Apparently his stuff backed up quite a bit after being drafted. Still has a shot to make a rotation at some point but he isn't really looking like a guy who will ever be more than a 4/5 at this point. Richan is a bit more of a sting. He's more of the Hendricks mold of ok stuff but doesn't walk guys.

Castellanos is interesting both that he's kind of flexible positionally and he mashes LHP. He's currently hitting .347/.415/.611 vs lefties. I suspect the cost was higher because they covered some of his remaining money. He's a pure rental.

Overall, I don't "love" the trade but it was pretty obvious why it was done and it makes total sense. And the cubs managed to come away from july with their best prospects still in their system. Mostly just took a chunk out of their depth where they were the deepest and that was mid to high level pitching.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Lange i'm kinda fine with losing. Apparently his stuff backed up quite a bit after being drafted. Still has a shot to make a rotation at some point but he isn't really looking like a guy who will ever be more than a 4/5 at this point. Richan is a bit more of a sting. He's more of the Hendricks mold of ok stuff but doesn't walk guys.

Castellanos is interesting both that he's kind of flexible positionally and he mashes LHP. He's currently hitting .347/.415/.611 vs lefties. I suspect the cost was higher because they covered some of his remaining money. He's a pure rental.

Overall, I don't "love" the trade but it was pretty obvious why it was done and it makes total sense. And the cubs managed to come away from july with their best prospects still in their system. Mostly just took a chunk out of their depth where they were the deepest and that was mid to high level pitching.
I wonder if Castellanos plays third and Bryant RF?

DanTown

Liked Posts:

I'd agree with that on Lange. He kind of fell out of favor in terms of future potential with guys like Azolay clearly passing him in terms of major league readiness and then guys like Miller and Steele flashing a little more upside. I wouldn't be shocked if Lange tinkers with a few things and gets back to his drafted status of a mid rotation guy but sometimes it's hard for teams to always open up the door for every guy in their rotation.