Cubs trade Montgomery

TL1961

Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Royals are all about quantity over quality.

How did they win it all?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You will take Martin Maldanado and you will like it.

I wouldn't doubt the move was finalized while Jed and Theo witnessed three of the worst ABs in the history of MLB. Caratini is a real strange case...there are times you think he's on the cusp of a huge breakout, then he has games where he looks like he's a misplaced Little Leaguer. He keeps coming up at key moments which is a killer as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't doubt the move was finalized while Jed and Theo witnessed three of the worst ABs in the history of MLB. Caratini is a real strange case...there are times you think he's on the cusp of a huge breakout, then he has games where he looks like he's a misplaced Little Leaguer. He keeps coming up at key moments which is a killer as well.
I see Contreras playing the field more as well. We arent getting a big bat. They are going to get creative

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Any word on whether KC included Whit Merrifield in the Montgomery deal?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I see Contreras playing the field more as well. We arent getting a big bat. They are going to get creative
That would essentially mean we replace Schwarber's or Almora's bat with that of Maldonado, who can't hit. Or, I suppose wit Caratini's, with Maldonado backing him up.

Funny, since someone else thinks the trade tonight was triggered by Caratini's at bats tonight! Guy has an OPS of 900+, but we are going to shit can him due to two ABs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That would essentially mean we replace Schwarber's or Almora's bat with that of Maldonado, who can't hit. Or, I suppose wit Caratini's, with Maldonado backing him up.

Funny, since someone else thinks the trade tonight was triggered by Caratini's at bats tonight! Guy has an OPS of 900+, but we are going to shit can him due to two ABs.
However, that would be in line with (OK, a direct copy of) my recent suggestion of putting a better defensive C in the lineup and playing Contreras in the OF. :)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I look at it like this... Maldonado improves their pitch framing dramatically and you could play Contreras in RF. You probably lose a bit from the drop off from Almora to Maldonado bat wise but pitch framing would vastly improve.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
However, that would be in line with (OK, a direct copy of) my recent suggestion of putting a better defensive C in the lineup and playing Contreras in the OF. :)
I think it give a lot more flexibility to put Caritini or Contreras in the field.s Vet leadership behind the plate and in the dugout is never bad.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Very interesting. I was just thinking Montgomery would be a good fit with KC. And this deal has a good vibe to it.

I do hope that they revisit this and talk Wit. Seems that KC want 3 ML ready players. You would think that Bote and his controlled contract would be in it and Amaya for sure. They might be able to push Tyson Miller and Happ in the deal as well.

KC is just looking for youth and control and that is surplus.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I look at it like this... Maldonado improves their pitch framing dramatically and you could play Contreras in RF. You probably lose a bit from the drop off from Almora to Maldonado bat wise but pitch framing would vastly improve.
I am the first here to value pitch framing, and hope Maldonado boosts that. I read he is good defensively, but the very first place i looked he was one spot ahead of Contreras. I like that Caratini has hit well, but his D is not good and I am not convinced the bat continues as it has (though I have been very pleasantly surprised)

I could see Contreras in LF, vs RF, but then you're trading out Schwarber's bat for Maldonado.

Willie in RF with Heyward in CF downgrades the D. But Willie's bat plays better when he's not behind the plate too often.

Hopefully framing makes a huge leap.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think it give a lot more flexibility to put Caritini or Contreras in the field.s Vet leadership behind the plate and in the dugout is never bad.
I do not ever want to see Caratini in the field. And I simultaneously love the flexibility the Cubs have, and worry that Joe will feel everyone needs equal playing time.
Perhaps another deal is in the works.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Very interesting. I was just thinking Montgomery would be a good fit with KC. And this deal has a good vibe to it.

I do hope that they revisit this and talk Wit. Seems that KC want 3 ML ready players. You would think that Bote and his controlled contract would be in it and Amaya for sure. They might be able to push Tyson Miller and Happ in the deal as well.

KC is just looking for youth and control and that is surplus.
We could really use a seventh second baseman.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We could really use a seventh second baseman.

Well if they trade Bote and get Wit in return we would have 1 2B a UI back up that sits behind 2 guys that you never want to remove from the line up. Basically injury prevent. And a PH type X2.

Be happy if it happened. Joe has proven in the past that he is more fixed in his players unless that position is underproducing.

As in 2B and CF are influx. 3B is in flux to cover for a inadequate OF production.

This move with adding Maldonado creates stability in the line up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am the first here to value pitch framing, and hope Maldonado boosts that. I read he is good defensively, but the very first place i looked he was one spot ahead of Contreras. I like that Caratini has hit well, but his D is not good and I am not convinced the bat continues as it has (though I have been very pleasantly surprised)

I could see Contreras in LF, vs RF, but then you're trading out Schwarber's bat for Maldonado.

Willie in RF with Heyward in CF downgrades the D. But Willie's bat plays better when he's not behind the plate too often.

Hopefully framing makes a huge leap.
I see another list with Maldonado at #18 in MLB and Contreras at #92! :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So....Kansas City.....your #1 is out and your #2 is gone.

May I interest you in one Taylor Davis?