Cubs trade Montgomery

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think it give a lot more flexibility to put Caritini or Contreras in the field.s Vet leadership behind the plate and in the dugout is never bad.
Not if that is what got his foot injury to begin with.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not if that is what got his foot injury to begin with.

Should be unrelated. His arch was strained. Add to it his OF stint was a month ago. There has been many days behind the dish after it. I would guess just normal wear and tear and just rest needed.

But a deal like this might end up a pre-curser for trading Caritiani also. Wilson should be down for only 10 days.

So this could end up as moving Wilson to RF and starting Victor. Or they take these 10 days and use Victor as bait to bring back a leverage lefty.

But with Perez out for the year they should just deal with KC.. give Wilson a few days to recover while setting up the big deal. Wit and Diekman for Caratini (can move to 1B and DH in AL after Perez returns). After that it would be what KC wants. I would guess Nico, Amaya and Alzolay would be off the table but they could add Marquez, Ademan and Miller.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Should be unrelated. His arch was strained. Add to it his OF stint was a month ago. There has been many days behind the dish after it. I would guess just normal wear and tear and just rest needed.

But a deal like this might end up a pre-curser for trading Caritiani also. Wilson should be down for only 10 days.

So this could end up as moving Wilson to RF and starting Victor. Or they take these 10 days and use Victor as bait to bring back a leverage lefty.

But with Perez out for the year they should just deal with KC.. give Wilson a few days to recover while setting up the big deal. Wit and Diekman for Caratini (can move to 1B and DH in AL after Perez returns). After that it would be what KC wants. I would guess Nico, Amaya and Alzolay would be off the table but they could add Marquez, Ademan and Miller.
It was July 3rd when he threw out the guy in the eighth, then ran the 200 feet to try to catch a pop up.
What, he was gonna say it was hurt and miss the all star game?
Sometimes you guys get so smart with your stats but cant see what is right in front of you. Sure, maybe I look too deep, but for christs sake, nobody who plays the outfield all the time was going to go after that ball like Willson did, and now we want him full time out there because we got a pitch framer that cant hit?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was July 3rd when he threw out the guy in the eighth, then ran the 200 feet to try to catch a pop up.
What, he was gonna say it was hurt and miss the all star game?
Sometimes you guys get so smart with your stats but cant see what is right in front of you. Sure, maybe I look too deep, but for christs sake, nobody who plays the outfield all the time was going to go after that ball like Willson did, and now we want him full time out there because we got a pitch framer that cant hit?

I think the most likely scenerio is Caratini gets traded. Wilson going on the DL just delayed the bigger trade.

Joe was saying that he wanted Wilson on a 3 day on then 1 off day. And to me that means that he can adjust to make that day fall on scheduled days off also.

I really don't believe that it will be a caddy system anymore. It will be Wilson's gig and they need a good game caller that can back him up.

Victor holds more value to the Cubs as a trade chip ATM. This deal on the surface made no sense. Even in a 10 day DL stint it did not require to do this. So it tells me that it is a pre-curser deal.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was also thinking on that subject a bit.

If it ends up with KC for Wit and Deikman.

The Cubs could then move Bote and Caratini. That balances the 40 man for both teams. KC gets 2 guys with control and upside. Cubs already moved a arm for Deikman to back fill and have a back up catcher in place now. Moving Bote locks Bryant in at 3B. They can still use Russell at SS and Baez at 3B to give Bryant a day off as needed.

But It would be tempting to also sell high on Garcia also. I personally see him as bat first. He has been error prone for a while now and that doesn't sit well as a long term option. But he hits for power and walks and hits from both sides. But it is more about apparent value and his is good ATM.

But it really comes down to what KC wants. If they are looking for plug and play types with control and younger that what they gave up then it is a good deal. Miller IMO becomes a good 4th player sent over.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Caratini is not going anywhere. They got a veteran catcher for the second half on an expiring deal for a pitcher they were hardly using.

Amaya is in A ball, two or three years away since catchers develop slower. If a catcher is going, it will be Amaya.

Bote might be less attractive with this 15 million dollar deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caratini is not going anywhere. They got a veteran catcher for the second half on an expiring deal for a pitcher they were hardly using.

Amaya is in A ball, two or three years away since catchers develop slower. If a catcher is going, it will be Amaya.

Bote might be less attractive with this 15 million dollar deal.
Best post you have made except note. He is cheap for what he is in the league. People have short memories but he is a plus defender for playing multiple positions. Caratini is a switch hitter with good contact which this team needs. He also can play third and first. This is all about flexibility. I feel like people get tunnel vision on the cubs. Dodgers play platoons constantly. Yankees the same. We live in a league of flexibility. The days of automatic lineups are over. Maldonado gives the cubs flexibility. He is also a challenger. I have watched him with the royals and he is great at challenging umps and team.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Having time to digest the thought of this trade a bit, It's kind of a bummer they couldn't get more out of Monty value wise but I mean I'm not sure there was ever *that* much more and given the fact he was unhappy enough to request a trade it's probably fine they cut bait when they did. This also probably sets up additional moves. It's always been weird having 2 long guys in the pen with him and Chatwood. Presumably they will bring in another reliever later and this allows them to shape the roster a bit better.

This also gives them the ability to send Caratini down if they need to for roster space where as Monty I believe was out of options. Obviously with Contreras on the IL that's not a present issue but being able to move around pieces prior to September is gonna be useful.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Best post you have made except note. He is cheap for what he is in the league. People have short memories but he is a plus defender for playing multiple positions. Caratini is a switch hitter with good contact which this team needs. He also can play third and first. This is all about flexibility. I feel like people get tunnel vision on the cubs. Dodgers play platoons constantly. Yankees the same. We live in a league of flexibility. The days of automatic lineups are over. Maldonado gives the cubs flexibility. He is also a challenger. I have watched him with the royals and he is great at challenging umps and team.

I don't disagree with you in theory on this subject. But in reality I do.

Wilson is going to catch 5-6 games a week. That really only leaves a game maybe 2 per week that he is not in the starting line up. It was 1/5 with Yu being the chosen going up to now. But Joe has gone on record with Wilson will play 3 games in a row max then sub in a game. If there is no off date.

So having a starting quality back up riding pine is a luxury. They do not need to even concider this. He is worth more to the team bringing back a need vs sitting on pine. Which he does plenty.

You are playing the versitility card but he has not been used as a 1B or as a 3B. He has pitched a few games that he might as well have put on the clown suit as well. That is it. It doesn't matter if he can or can not do it. Joe has not and that is all that matters in this situation.

They are better of using him in a deal then offering year by year to Maldonado. 2.5 M is coin box to MLB teams. But that 2.5 M is well worth the experience to pass on to Wilson.

I'm not banking on Amaya either. As far as I'm concerned Wilson is the Cubs catcher. There is no need to project anything into it. You make deals to support your ASG starting catcher. Make him better because that is your bread and butter.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I was also thinking on that subject a bit.

If it ends up with KC for Wit and Deikman.

The Cubs could then move Bote and Caratini. That balances the 40 man for both teams. KC gets 2 guys with control and upside. Cubs already moved a arm for Deikman to back fill and have a back up catcher in place now. Moving Bote locks Bryant in at 3B. They can still use Russell at SS and Baez at 3B to give Bryant a day off as needed.

But It would be tempting to also sell high on Garcia also. I personally see him as bat first. He has been error prone for a while now and that doesn't sit well as a long term option. But he hits for power and walks and hits from both sides. But it is more about apparent value and his is good ATM.

But it really comes down to what KC wants. If they are looking for plug and play types with control and younger that what they gave up then it is a good deal. Miller IMO becomes a good 4th player sent over.

That's a terrible deal for them since Whit has team control and they don't have a ton of need for a C. The Royals asking price is three ML guys so you'd probably have to add Schwarber and a top 10 (but not Nico/Amaya/Azolay) type prospect to get Whit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's a terrible deal for them since Whit has team control and they don't have a ton of need for a C. The Royals asking price is three ML guys so you'd probably have to add Schwarber and a top 10 (but not Nico/Amaya/Azolay) type prospect to get Whit.

They want control and youth. The reasoning for trading Wit is because he is 30 andcif it takes 4 years to rebuild the team that puts him outside of his prime.

So I was looking at age and control. Bote has both. Russell doesn't. He has little control. Happ does but his value sucks. Garcia has both and he doesn't suck yet. Caratini has both and could start.

Now like I said and silence has also said. VC came up as a 3B and has played 1B all the way up. He was converted to catcher but was drafted as a 3B by Atlanta. With the Cubs they moved him between C and 1B. The Cubs have done this with most of their catching prospects to give them more playing time.

When Prez returns he is arguably the best catcher in baseball. But like I said with the DH and 1B. And let's face it Duda is not holding the door shut at 1B. Cuthbert is not holding the door shut. Dozer and Adalberto Mondesi are the 2 keepers in the IF. In the OF I really don't see many long term options in place ATM. And honestly I haven't looked into their farm.

So with Dozer and Adalberto Mondesi at their keystone's adding Bote or Garcia and Caratini could prove useful right now and down the road as they mature as baseball players.

But yes I do think that KC is going to sell on Wit. And it will be for control and MLB readiness. Bote and VC are MLB tested. They are more in the adjustments phase and getting steady reps is the only way to improve vs erratic play. But the other 2 IMO it really comes down to what KC needs. Who knows they might want Mills back. Cheap starter that looked ok.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was looking into other potential players on the block and Eric Sogard came up. To be honest I didn't know anything about him myself but he holds a 129 wRC+. Hits left handed. Mostly a 2B but has played other positions. Age is 33. Making 4.25M which is cheap..

D has been league avg in general. But he would be another target for lead off. .304 BA and a .370 OBA. I could see Toronto asking for Happ and a pitcher for him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever we should be trading for 33-year-old second baseman with league average defense.

None.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever we should be trading for 33-year-old second baseman with league average defense.

None.

Theo might think that you are wrong. He has in the past.

8/21/18Washington Nationals traded 2B Daniel Murphy to Chicago Cubs for 2B Andruw Monasterio and Player To Be Named Later

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Theo might think that you are wrong. He has in the past.

8/21/18Washington Nationals traded 2B Daniel Murphy to Chicago Cubs for 2B Andruw Monasterio and Player To Be Named Later

Not sure a rental of a MLB level player like Murphy that cost nothing of consequence is the same as what Toronto would likely ask for in a trade.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure a rental of a MLB level player like Murphy that cost nothing of consequence is the same as what Toronto would likely ask for in a trade.

Sogard is far from a top trade target. He holds less value than Galvas. Whom I would prefer to go towards myself and pay the stepper costs.

The smart move is Galvas and get a 2B/SS and send Russell back with a arm.

But they need a better lead off than Schwarber/Almora. Watching the game today starter was like what ever to A.A. then they have a mound meet on Baez pre HR. There is a complete lack of respect going on there. Add to it SD came in with a lefty to keep Schwarber out of the PH role and Joe went with Heyward who has neutral splits.

I like Garcia but that grounder to Manny he took around 4 steps to tag 3B and still threw him out at 1B pretty easy. Garcia is pretty slow to first and not lead off material.

I'm pretty sure that they will address this soon. They need a hard out at the lead off.