Cubs trade targets (The Athletic article)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The Athletic's Jim Bowden put out an article today about sellers at the deadline and who might go. He had some interesting options and named the Cubs specifically for one player but I wanted to spotlight these two:

Whit Merrifield:

Merrifield, 30, has a club-friendly contract and is controllable through 2023. His best position is second base, but his ability to play all over the field increases his value. The Dodgers and Cubs are perfect fits for him; he would be a huge upgrade at second base for either team and would also be helpful in creating traffic at the top of either lineup. His power and speed combination would play well, and his makeup, character and intelligence make him a target for most contending teams.

Dee Gordon:

Gordon’s low on-base percentage decreases his trade value, but his speed and positional versatility could be enough for a contender to make a run at him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK on either.

Out of the 2 Mitt is better but the Cubs really don't have the parts needed.

Gordon is easy. And honestly if you push him to CF in a platoon with Almora hitting 9 for a unheard of prospect with Seattle sending cash in the deal I'm good with it.

I see Dee = Montgomery in player value right now.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
IDK on either.

Out of the 2 Mitt is better but the Cubs really don't have the parts needed.

Gordon is easy. And honestly if you push him to CF in a platoon with Almora hitting 9 for a unheard of prospect with Seattle sending cash in the deal I'm good with it.

I see Dee = Montgomery in player value right now.
Give the Royals Bote, Happ, Amaya and possibly one more prospect other than Nico and Alzolay or Bote, Happ, Amaya

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Give the Royals Bote, Happ, Amaya and possibly one more prospect other than Nico and Alzolay or Bote, Happ, Amaya
You already came up with this goofy trade scenario before.

Like I said I used to come up with these dumb trade ideas when I was 12. As an adult they dont work

choyne35

Liked Posts:
You already came up with this goofy trade scenario before.

Like I said I used to come up with these dumb trade ideas when I was 12. As an adult they dont work
Hey shit pants I believe that is giving up plenty for a 30 year old good ball player, not great but good player. This isn’t mike trout we are talking about here

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You want to give them one of our top prospects and two players who play the same position as the guy they’re trading?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Hey shit pants I believe that is giving up plenty for a 30 year old good ball player, not great but good player. This isn’t mike trout we are talking about here
Dont you understand that other teams dont want our trash. You think they are dumb and that's how a 12 year old approaches trade scenarios

choyne35

Liked Posts:
You want to give them one of our top prospects and two players who play the same position as the guy they’re trading?
It’s going to take atleast one of our top prospects and I believe Amaya is expendable since we have Contreras and Caratini for a few years atleast and then they drafted the top high school catcher Hearn who could possibly be ready by the time Contreras is done with the cubs and Bote is versatile so he would be replacing the versatility they lose in Merrifield

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Amaya is a fine start.

Bote is a good piece. Royals would get a solid player under control.

Forget Happ. He has no trade value.

So working with the top 2. 1 is a top 75 prospect in a prime position.

If I am KC I am starting with Marquez. Which I would hard pass. I would counter with Tyson Miller and honestly that is a fair counter.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Amaya is a fine start.

If I am KC I am starting with Marquez. Which I would hard pass. I would counter with Tyson Miller and honestly that is a fair counter.
Do you think the cubs have asked the royals about Whit or do you think they are looking at cheaper options? I believe Whit is a younger, faster, more athletic Zobrist. I seen Whit Chase down a ball in right yesterday at Toronto that I know Schwarber wouldn’t have gotten to and he made the play look easy and like he was a natural outfielder which he isn’t. The versatility and leadoff potential would be well worth going for, not to mention the 4 years of control

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Amaya is a fine start.

I had another idea of some trade scenarios... ok what about the cubs start with Schwarber in trade talks with the Royals and maybe throw in Bote and or Amaya for Merrifield? You could have your outfield consist of Whit in left, Almora in center and Heyward in right. Then my next move would be to try and get Dee Gordon and maybe trade a couple low tier prospects for him or possibly Russell straight up since it shouldn’t cost much for Gordon. You have the outfield set for a few years and Gordon plays 2nd and leads off this year until Nico is ready to take over sometime next year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Do you think the cubs have asked the royals about Whit or do you think they are looking at cheaper options? I believe Whit is a younger, faster, more athletic Zobrist. I seen Whit Chase down a ball in right yesterday at Toronto that I know Schwarber wouldn’t have gotten to and he made the play look easy and like he was a natural outfielder which he isn’t. The versatility and leadoff potential would be well worth going for, not to mention the 4 years of control

Last I heard they were looking at LH pen options. That is the clear need. Most expect them to deal with SFG for theirs.

Concidering they just did a major buy with Kimbrel I really would avoid that situation.

I've posted this before about Q. Even after his 6 inning stint he should go into the pen in the play offs so this whole 'need' is not really one. Getting Hondo and Hamels 100% weighs more. Edwards being effective weighs more.

As far as a lead off. I would be fine with a Seattle trade to bring in speed. Having a weapon like that is fine and won't deplete the system. That is a strait Happ trade.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I had another idea of some trade scenarios... ok what about the cubs start with Schwarber in trade talks with the Royals and maybe throw in Bote and or Amaya for Merrifield? You could have your outfield consist of Whit in left, Almora in center and Heyward in right. Then my next move would be to try and get Dee Gordon and maybe trade a couple low tier prospects for him or possibly Russell straight up since it shouldn’t cost much for Gordon. You have the outfield set for a few years and Gordon plays 2nd and leads off this year until Nico is ready to take over sometime next year

Cubs are not going to trade Schwarber.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I haven’t seen that damnSchwarber catch a single ball in right this year! ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Jesus you must think Whit is willie mays

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The appeal of Dee Gordon, once upon a time, was that he got a lot of hits.

What is the fascination with low OBP Dee Gordon, especially when the cost is younger, cheaper players, even if not stars?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LOL at Dee Gordon. If the Cubs wanted to get rid of Addison Russell and get nothing in return, they could have done that months ago.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
I haven’t seen that damnSchwarber catch a single ball in right this year! ?
I was making a
Comparison on the outfield in general Bud. I’m saying Schwarber would not have caught a ball that was hit that far away from him and slicing away from him

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Not to be that guy, but what's the point for trading anyways. Joe is still going to screw with the line-up every damn game so no one can get into a rhythm outside of KB, Rizzo and Baez. Yes, there are issues with guys not performing but I am sorry, Joe Maddon IS a big part of the problem too. He may be a "Players Coach" but he is terrible with in game management. Watch his history, there is a reason that he does well with younger teams, but not so much with established/veteran teams. Say what you want, our team is young (hitting wise that is) but they are a veteran team now, not a youth movement
  • Stop freaking playing Descalso (DFA him for Christ sake, no reason to be on this ball club)
  • Make a damn decision already: Bote or Russell and live/die with that decision (my preference in Bote and we have a substantially better record when he plays as opposed to Russell)
  • Stop moving Bryant around, leave him at 3rd Base
  • Carintini does NOT need to start 2 games a week.
  • We have the shift played against us more than any team in baseball...BUNT FOR FUCKS SAKE. They want to give you a base, take it. We pay players to win games, period. Do what it takes to win.
  • Does this team know what a Stolen Base is? We have solid and smart base runners in KB, Baez, Contreas, Heyward and Almora. Fucking put the steal sign on. We have only 24 steals as a team for the year, that's embarrassing.
  • This last one is cruel and I apologize but baseball is a business: Zobrist has to shit or get off the pot. Either he is coming back now, or you tell him its over. Its been enough time, hell 50% of marriages end in divorce, I'm sorry, but get over it.