Cubs trade targets (The Athletic article)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Maddon is fucking Earl Weaver and doesnt believe in stolen bases

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not to be that guy, but what's the point for trading anyways. Joe is still going to screw with the line-up every damn game so no one can get into a rhythm outside of KB, Rizzo and Baez. Yes, there are issues with guys not performing but I am sorry, Joe Maddon IS a big part of the problem too. He may be a "Players Coach" but he is terrible with in game management. Watch his history, there is a reason that he does well with younger teams, but not so much with established/veteran teams. Say what you want, our team is young (hitting wise that is) but they are a veteran team now, not a youth movement
  • Stop freaking playing Descalso (DFA him for Christ sake, no reason to be on this ball club)
  • Make a damn decision already: Bote or Russell and live/die with that decision (my preference in Bote and we have a substantially better record when he plays as opposed to Russell)
  • Stop moving Bryant around, leave him at 3rd Base
  • Carintini does NOT need to start 2 games a week.
  • We have the shift played against us more than any team in baseball...BUNT FOR FUCKS SAKE. They want to give you a base, take it. We pay players to win games, period. Do what it takes to win.
  • Does this team know what a Stolen Base is? We have solid and smart base runners in KB, Baez, Contreas, Heyward and Almora. Fucking put the steal sign on. We have only 24 steals as a team for the year, that's embarrassing.
  • This last one is cruel and I apologize but baseball is a business: Zobrist has to shit or get off the pot. Either he is coming back now, or you tell him its over. Its been enough time, hell 50% of marriages end in divorce, I'm sorry, but get over it.

I really thought Theo sent LaStella away because he was sick of Joe starting him 3 times a week, and third base for christs sakes.
Then Theo went out and paid double for Descalso.
I see blame on both sides for this one.

Absolutely agree at leaving Bryant at 3rd base. You want him to commit long term, stop treating him like a little leaguer.

Caritini seems to have to start 2-3 days a week because Darvish and Hamels do not seem to like throwing to contrares hopping around like a jumping bean, he is not mexican .

Talk to Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, :Teams would be able to shift against us, we would just poke the ball the other way.

Baez is stuck in the 4 hole because nobody else can do it and Joe has got to go LRLR unless he allows a lefty to face all righties, or vice versa. Those are supposed to be the four best hitters, I mean, that is the thought process here, use your best hitters on top of the order so they get more at bats. The prototypical leadoff is here in Baez, leading the league (again) in opposite field hits. Creates havoc on bases, gets hitters better pitches. But we cant do that because that would force Rizzo to bat second and he is slow so KB would not be able to score from first on a double anymore.

Its all full of excuses and apologetic fans for Maddon.

Just once I want to hear, "GET MAD ABOUT IT FOR ONCE", this team looks like shit.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The guy I want is Choo from the Rangers but they'd really need to fall on hard times between now and the 31st to get him. My hope is they'd want to swap Choo for Schwarber and get the more years of control + ability to DH Kyle but I doubt they'd swing at that. Might have to do Azolay for him and then I'd probably swallow and pull the trigger.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The guy I want is Choo from the Rangers but they'd really need to fall on hard times between now and the 31st to get him. My hope is they'd want to swap Choo for Schwarber and get the more years of control + ability to DH Kyle but I doubt they'd swing at that. Might have to do Azolay for him and then I'd probably swallow and pull the trigger.

1. Choo is 36. So you are crazy to think Choo is worth Schwarber + Alzolay.

Choo might not even be equal to Schwarber right now.

Age is a huge factor. You are getting older which means short shelf life. Schwarber even hitting .230 can smack 26 HR on a down year.

IMO it is just miss use by Joe with him. He is not a lead off and this stuff makes me feel Joe is crazy. Because it is not working and he sticks to his guns

End of story Choo would be a dump for them if they bottomed out. And IMO they would go after semi prospects like Tyson Miller or Mills etc. Or unranked with upside like they did for Lacy and Hamels. There is no reason to think that they would change the current relationship.

But with RF semi open with Almora being meh. I could see Happ/Choo strait. Happ is going nowhere.

choyne35

Liked Posts:

Age is a huge factor. You are getting older which means short shelf life. Schwarber even hitting .230 can smack 26 HR on a down year.

IMO it is just miss use by Joe with him. He is not a lead off and this stuff makes me feel Joe is crazy. Because it is not working and he sticks to his guns

End of story Choo would be a dump for them if they bottomed out. And IMO they would go after semi prospects like Tyson Miller or Mills etc. Or unranked with upside like they did for Lacy and Hamels. There is no reason to think that they would change the current relationship.

But with RF semi open with Almora being meh. I could see Happ/Choo strait. Happ is going nowhere.
So with Theo saying that anything is possible when it comes to the deadline and a lot of articles saying the cubs could be selling is that for major league pieces as upgrades or prospects? I would have to say that if they trade away Russell, Almora, Schwarber, or Anyone else on the roster it would be for major league talent as
Upgrades at that position and not as a semi rebuild with prospects in return

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So with Theo saying that anything is possible when it comes to the deadline and a lot of articles saying the cubs could be selling is that for major league pieces as upgrades or prospects? I would have to say that if they trade away Russell, Almora, Schwarber, or Anyone else on the roster it would be for major league talent as
Upgrades at that position and not as a semi rebuild with prospects in return

I wouldn't look into it deep. Most of the time they are always talking to teams. I see this as a message to the players to wake up.

Russell IMO is basically gone anyways. Almora they like but you have to hit.

But the message was more about the fundamentals that they are failing at. You can control those. You can't control a slump. You can adjust to what the other teams are doing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

RF should not be semi open, just leave Heyward there. We are seeing why they caved back to Fowler after he refused the qualifying offer. I would rather see Happ strike out and play center with Almora than watching Heyward out there. Better yet, let KB play center, the only outfield position he wants to play. We just get so stuck in the thinking that KB can only play a corner spot when he is in the outfield.

Part of wanting Joe gone is to see how a different manager would handle this. Would he cave and run out the same lineup and bounce KB all over, or balance the lineup out. Part of me thinks the starting shortstop for the NL all star game might get moved around again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
RF should not be semi open, just leave Heyward there. We are seeing why they caved back to Fowler after he refused the qualifying offer. I would rather see Happ strike out and play center with Almora than watching Heyward out there. Better yet, let KB play center, the only outfield position he wants to play. We just get so stuck in the thinking that KB can only play a corner spot when he is in the outfield.

Part of wanting Joe gone is to see how a different manager would handle this. Would he cave and run out the same lineup and bounce KB all over, or balance the lineup out. Part of me thinks the starting shortstop for the NL all star game might get moved around again.

Heyward has lost a step in RF. He is. As 2 years removed from GG level play.

Sure he plays up better in RF but it is not like he is God awful at either.

To me it is about finding O. They already have a D only player in Almora. Heyward is finally hitting for value. If you bother making change it should be geared towards O not D. Cargo gave D Vue and no O value. They cut him. Happ is wiffing at AAA and is WORSE in CF than Heyward. So why bother moving Almora into a platoon for a clear downgrade.

The topic was regarding Choo's value. I said it is equal to Happ if the Cubs absorb 100%. Schwarber hits for power and plays neutral D. And is far younger and has more growth.... Wait for it... To achieve.

On Bryant. They need a better option at SS or 3B to justify it. Moving Bryant off 3B just to plug RF creates a hole at 3B. Bote is not lighting up the league.

Russell has been sub par to justify moving Baez to 3B.

Garcia is too new to the league to make long term plans around.

Now as a real solution? This month things should shake out. I see it as there will be a 10 day window post ASG and teams will decide which side of the fence they are on.

But a trade that I would be on board with is Chatwood for Will Meyers. Turn him into the full time RF. Cubs should be able to absorb his contract while adding another power bat to the OF. Then in the off season they can look into trades.

I am actually interested in Garcia fighting for the starting 2B job. He seems like he could end up a solid player there.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

How can you complain about Schwarber while suggesting Happ play RF?
Lessen our D by taking out Heyward or Almora for a guy who isn’t hitting?

Check Schwarber’s numbers in the last month. They’re not bad.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Heyward has lost a step in RF. He is. As 2 years removed from GG level play.

Sure he plays up better in RF but it is not like he is God awful at either.

To me it is about finding O. They already have a D only player in Almora. Heyward is finally hitting for value. If you bother making change it should be geared towards O not D. Cargo gave D Vue and no O value. They cut him. Happ is wiffing at AAA and is WORSE in CF than Heyward. So why bother moving Almora into a platoon for a clear downgrade.

The topic was regarding Choo's value. I said it is equal to Happ if the Cubs absorb 100%. Schwarber hits for power and plays neutral D. And is far younger and has more growth.... Wait for it... To achieve.

On Bryant. They need a better option at SS or 3B to justify it. Moving Bryant off 3B just to plug RF creates a hole at 3B. Bote is not lighting up the league.

Russell has been sub par to justify moving Baez to 3B.

Garcia is too new to the league to make long term plans around.

Now as a real solution? This month things should shake out. I see it as there will be a 10 day window post ASG and teams will decide which side of the fence they are on.

But a trade that I would be on board with is Chatwood for Will Meyers. Turn him into the full time RF. Cubs should be able to absorb his contract while adding another power bat to the OF. Then in the off season they can look into trades.

I am actually interested in Garcia fighting for the starting 2B job. He seems like he could end up a solid player there.

Is Kansas City, with their perennial bottom of baseball payroll in the market for an expensive pitcher who is not good starting or coming in from the pen?

What exactly is our sales pitch for that deal?

Swap salaries? But they get a guy they can’t use. What’s the selling point?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo pretty much said there is as tentative date for Zobrist to come back. I dont think they are going to do anything big.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What would Schwarber fetch in a trade? Minor Leaguers?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/cubs-trade-rumors-arizonas-jarrod-dyson-teams-radar

As we get closer and closer to the July 31 trade deadline, it's becoming clear that the Cubs are firmly in the market for outfield help.

The first name connected to the team was Detroit right fielder Nick Castellanos, whose prowess against left-handed pitching would significantly buoy a team that's struggled against lefties thus far.

Now, it's Arizona's Jarrod Dyson who is reportedly on Chicago's radar. On Monday morning, a piece written by The Athletic's Patrick Mooney and Sahadev Sharma details the Cubs' interest in Dyson:

The Cubs have been interested in Dyson (who has 21 stolen bases and a wRC+ of 86 this season) at previous points in his career and have always liked his skillset. If Dyson is moved, it will likely come closer to the July 31 deadline, giving the Diamondbacks more time to evaluate where they stand this year.
On the surface, Dyson's fit with the Cubs is an interesting one. The conventional wisdom is that for all of Albert Almora's defensive abilities, his offensive production simply doesn't warrant every day starts. This season has been rough for Almora, and he's currently slashing .239/.275/.384 with a .659 OPS, adding up to a career-worst wRC+ (67). As Mooney and Sharma point out, that wRC+ is the 3rd-worst among all players with at least 400 at-bats this year. The contact peripherals aren't much better, with a Hard Hit % and Average Exit Velocity both in the bottom 8% of qualified hitters; his current fWAR (0.0) would suggest he is quite literally the definition of replacement-level.

With all that said, Dyson's numbers this year have ... not been much better? He's hit .254/.335/.369 with a .704 OPS in 24 less at-bats than Almora has. Dyson's wRC+ (87) is certainly an improvement over Almora's, but nothing to write home about either. In fact, the Statcast profiles for both players look almost identical. First is Almora's, and then comes Dyson:

almorastatcastsliders.jpg
almorastatcastsliders.jpg

dysonstatcastsliders.jpg
dysonstatcastsliders.jpg

Like Mooney and Sharma mention, it'd be a platoon move. While their overall stats look the same, Almora's been better against lefties, and Dyson righties, through their careers:

Dyson career vs. RHP: .257/.324/.360 with a .685 OPS (87 wRC+)
Almora career vs RHP: .272 /.303/.398 with a .701 OPS (83 wRC+)

Dyson career vs. LHP: .226 /.309/.272 with a .580 OPS (63 wRC+)
Almora career vs LHP: .286/.335/.420 with a .755 OPS (101 wRC+)

While Dyson isn't going to solve the Cubs' outfield issues on his own, he is more consistently playable against right handed pitching in a way that Almora -- despite some weird reverse splits this season -- has typically not been. It's also worth noting that he'd help solve the Cubs' leadoff issues, as 217 of his 252 at-bats have come from the top. Dyson would give the Cubs a jolt of bench speed, and while stealing bases isn't in this team's DNA, having one of the game's fastest players available as a pinch-runner is obviously a huge advantage in a pennant or postseason run. Acquiring a pinch runner in the latter half of the season has been a staple of the Theo Epstien era, so this falls in-line with what we've seen in the past.

The Cubs probably have bigger fish to fry, and it doesn't sound like the front-office is solely in the market for platoon outfielders that can pinch run. Production concerns aside, though, Dyson's making $3.5 million and will be an unrestricted free agent when the season ends - so in theory there's a low-risk fit for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ever since infielder/outfielder Ben Zobrist hit the restricted list for personal reasons on May 8, one of the biggest talking points around the Cubs has been the team’s need for a steady, veteran bat.

Enter Tigers outfielder Nick Castellanos.

Sunday, Chris McCosky of The Detroit News reported that the Cubs have emerged as a "serious suitor" for Castellanos, citing a source.

McCosky’s report follows that of MLB Network’s Jon Morosi, who reported that the Cubs had a scout in attendance at Friday’s Tigers-Blue Jays game in Detroit.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1152384575357771777

Nicholas Castellanos, who has a 1.090 OPS this year against LHP, is an ideal fit for NL clubs who could encounter #Dodgers LHPs Ryu, Kershaw, Urias and Hill in a playoff series. Notably, the #Cubs and #Braves have scouts in Detroit tonight.
?
@MLB @MLBNetwork

6:07 PM - Jul 19, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

204 people are talking about this

It’s currently unclear what a trade package for Castellanos, 27, would look like, but his fit with the team is obvious. In Castellanos, the Cubs would acquire a veteran outfield bat, one that hits extremely well against left-handed pitching.

Castellanos, who is a free agent after this season, has mainly hit second and third for the Tigers and led the team with 23 home runs in 2018. He holds a .280/.339/.467 slashline, with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs this season. Those numbers are even better against left-handers — .377/.451/.639 — albeit in a small sample size of 61 at-bats. However, in his 6+ MLB seasons, he's hitting .302 with an .871 OPS against left-handed pitching.

The Cubs have struggled against left-handed pitching in 2019, ranking 23rd in average (.243) and 28th in hits with 164. Castellanos would rank first among qualified Cubs hitters vs. left-handers in average and OBP and only trail Javier Baez’s .776 in slugging percentage.

While it's true that Castellanos hits left-handed pitching well, he'd instantly become an everyday player in the Cubs outfield. Thus, the Cubs depth chart would be hit with several ripple effects.

Albert Almora Jr.'s playing time against right-handed starting pitching would be affected. Almora held a .282/.315/.369 slashline against right-handed pitching in 2018, but those numbers currently sit at .255/.291/.427.

Almora's numbers against lefites (.210/.247/.296) aren't better, but his 2018 slashline there (.295/.340/.402) leaves room for hope. Also, Kyle Schwarber is only hitting .224 against lefties, so adding Castellanos would likely mean Almora starts less against righties and Schwarber less against lefties. Almora does provide Gold Glove caliber defense, so the Cubs may be more inclined to let him work through his struggles at the plate.

Similarly, David Bote's playing time could also be affected by Castellanos. Without the latter, the Cubs have more of a need to play Kris Bryant in the outfield, meaning third base is open for Bote to play. Adding Castellanos might mean Bryant playing more third base and less outfield, so Bote would have to crack the starting lineup at second base, more likely than not. The same goes for Robel Garcia, though his bat is making it hard to keep him out of the starting lineup right now.

Between Almora and Schwarber's numbers and Zobrist’s absence, the Cubs have a glaring need for more outfield offense. Adding Castellanos could be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Cubs offensively.

Update: Our David Kaplan added that the Cubs have also had discussions for Tigers closer Shane Greene.

David Kaplan

@thekapman

https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1153026321783697408

The report from @cmccosky on the Cubs interest in Nick Castellanos is correct. There have also been discussions that include Tigers closer Shane Greene. To acquire both would be fairly costly. We are 10 days from the trade deadline.

12:37 PM - Jul 21, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

159 people are talking about this

Greene, 30, is arbitration eligible this offseason. The right-hander has converted 22 of his 25 save chances this season and has 40 strikeouts compared to 11 walks. However, his 3.54 FIP is a far cry from his 1.25 ERA, and the overriding thought has been that the Cubs would seek left-handed relief help rather than right-handed.

Greene entered Sunday with a lower ERA against lefties (0.64) than righties (1.29), though lefties are hitting .222 against him compared to .097 by righties. If the Cubs were to acquire him, he obviously wouldn't slot into the Cubs closer role, as Craig Kimbrel has the position locked down. As Kaplan noted, the cost to get both Castellanos and Greene would be steep, especially with the latter being a top relief arm on the trade market.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...anos-is-drawing-interest-could-be-perfect-fit

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Castellanos bitching about CF wall in Detroit (420ft). Trying to buy a ticket out

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Contreras closer: Catcher Willson Contreras (right foot strain) increased the intensity of his baseball-related activities Monday, indicating he could be reinstated from the injured list Wednesday, when he's eligible.

That would prompt another decision for the Cubs: whether to operate with a three-man catching contingent by adding Contreras to the duo of Martin Maldonado and Victor Caratini, or to stick with the usual two-man contingent and drop either Maldonado or Caratini.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Left-hander Cole Hamels will test his left oblique injury Tuesday when he makes an injury rehabilitation start for the Cubs' Triple-A Iowa affiliate against San Antonio.

Hamels is expected to throw approximately 40 to 50 pitches. Obviously, how the 162-game winner handles this test will go a long way toward helping the Cubs determine what to do next with him.

Hamels, 6-3 with a 2.98 ERA, hasn't appeared in a regular-season game since June 28 at Cincinnati, one day before he went on the injured list.

"Hopefully it's going to be sooner rather than later," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said, referring to Hamels' recovery. "After he throws, we'll know more."

I'm pretty sure that they will demote Mills and activate Contreras next.

This will most likely be followed by Caratini traded. Detroit makes the most sense with Castellanos as the return. To be honest here that deal might be weighed more value on the Cubs side of the deal.

VC: 107 wRC+ .6 WAR. Only has 1.051 service time. We are talking Det would be getting 4+ years of control for a SH Catcher that they would insert into the starting role on day 1. For a limited D RF.

Honestly Det would have to add more on their end IMO. That is why Greene makes sense. Greene comes with a year of control with a 1.25 ERA and a .86 WHIP.

Greene would cost 2 quality prospects IMO. With Castillo worth 2 mid range prospects.

So if they did do a deal.
say trade VC and Mills and Det would get a choice of 2 prospects. If they want Marquez then the 2nd one is not in the top 30.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
  • The Blue Jays’ Eric Sogard is on the Cubs’ radar with the deadline approaching, but it’s not the first time Chicago has eyed the infielder. The Cubs’ interest in Sogard dates back to the offseason, Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports. Back then, the 33-year-old Sogard had to settle for a minor league contractwith Toronto after a rough season in Milwaukee. It’ll go down as an excellent low-risk pickup by the Blue Jays, who will almost surely flip Sogard for some kind of return by July 31. With a .299/.363/.480 line and 10 home runs in 317 plate appearances, Sogard’s enjoying a career year. His production’s probably not sustainable, but that won’t stop the Jays from finding a trade partner.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They may try to flip him for Russell strait IMO. It takes care of the lead off issue and a back up SS.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Demoines paper is reporting Happ will be back for the brewer series. Guess the hope is to light it up and have him being our new 2b/ outfielder.