Cubs trade targets (The Athletic article)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Greg Holland has unbelievably been DFA'd! What a stroke of good fortune for the Cubs just when they need him the most. Holland is definitely rounding into form, too. In his 10 July appearances, he posted an ERA of 13.50!

This could be yet another case of the CCS Cubs forum Intelligentsia being prescient. Theo, make it happen!

I'm more scared of Lucroy just being a complete utter failure. Davis might be a better option right now by the numbers. Can't frame anymore. Skills eroded.

Trading Mald might end up the bone head move of the year. Got a back flipping bench warmer watching Happ wreck baseballs and a dud holding a roster spot. That rates as the worst pitch blocker in baseball.

So going after Greg? Well na. I'm good with Underwood ATM.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
More scared than what?

Signing Greg.

Strop is back and Joe said every other day with him. So it sounds like a routine vs a situational pitcher.

Greg might have something left in the tank but it would cause a roster movement and after Underwood striking out 6 guys in a row you would have to be a bone head to do it. Wick has proven competitive. That leaves Cishek and that is taking 1 problem and switching for another.

If Kimbrel was out for more than a week then I could honestly see a add like that. But right now no.

It would be something to concider in the off-season. Send him to drivetrain to get him back online then sign him to a 1 year deal with incentives.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Greg might have something left in the tank

Wow. I'm guessing the Cubs' need for a backup catcher prompted the signing of Lucroy, and he has history with catching the Cubs starters. I'm not sure what else you expect the Cubs to do at this point.

But I agree, the Cubs might not really have a need for a reliever with a 13.50 ERA. I thought you were the only person who had proposed this Greg Holland option a couple weeks ago. So I am confused, as usual.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Wow. I'm guessing the Cubs' need for a backup catcher prompted the signing of Lucroy, and he has history with catching the Cubs starters. I'm not sure what else you expect the Cubs to do at this point.

But I agree, the Cubs might not really have a need for a reliever with a 13.50 ERA. I thought you were the only person who had proposed this Greg Holland option a couple weeks ago. So I am confused, as usual.
which cubs starters has Lucroy caught? Hamel?

You just need to wonder whether they tried hard enough to get Lucroy before going for Maldonado.

Maldonado was a hard headed Theo move, or should I say mistake. Monty with control was a pretty big price to pay for someone bound for the DFA line.

We all know the elephant in the room, they needed a reason to not let Schwarber catch and got it.

In all honesty, Lucroy is a better pinch hit bat to have on the bench than Davis, better than Maldonado, so this has to be a better option. Joe might burn him early and we still need an emergency catcher.

I am still shocked Caratini was not badly injured Tuesday.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Starters: Hamels, Darvish

Relievers: Kintzler, Holland

Well, I dont think they move from Darvish caratini til Darvish has a bad game with him. Did not know about Kintzler. But I guess since I hoped they at least would have given Maldonado a shot with Darvish, I will probably want the same with Lucroy.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
of course you didn't. Why would you?

Not sure why you quoted my post and then your first sentence was "Well, I dont think they move from Darvish caratini til Darvish has a bad game with him." Amazingly, I took that to mean that you were responding to my posting.

You fit in well here!

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs Sign Jonathan Lucroy
August 7th, 2019 at 4:23pm CST • By Steve Adams
4:23pm: The Cubs announced the signing. Davis has been optioned to Triple-A to open a roster spot, and Lucroy will join the team tomorrow.
2:25pm: The Cubs are set to sign catcher Jonathan Lucroy following his release by the Angels, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports (via Twitter). Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this week that Chicago had interest in Lucroy after he’d been designated for assignment by the Halos.
Jonathan Lucroy | Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
The Cubs dealt away Martin Maldonadoprior to the trade deadline but suddenly found themselves with a unexpected need for help behind the plate when Willson Contreras went down with a hamstring injury that is expected to cost him four weeks of action. Lucroy will step in and share catching duties with Victor Caratini in Contreras’ absence.
Lucroy, now 33, was a thorn in the side of the Cubs and their fanbase for when he was one of the best all-around catchers and a two-time All-Star for the division-rival Brewers. Those days are a distant memory at this point, however, as Lucroy has seen both his bat and his defensive skills erode in recent seasons. Dating back to 2017, he’s authored a well below-average .250/.317/.353 batting line despite spending ample time in hitter-friendly settings in Colorado and Texas (78 OPS+).
Defensively speaking, Lucroy was among the game’s best at preventing steals in 2016 (39 percent), but he’s been league average in the three subsequent seasons. His once-elite framing numbers now check in below the league average, and Baseball Prospectus rates Lucroy as the game’s weakest pitch blocker.
It’s not a terribly appealing profile, especially relative to Lucroy’s peak years, but he’s an experienced backstop who can at the very least be considered an upgrade over current backup Taylor Davis. Caratini was also spiked in the hand in last night’s game, though he didn’t come out of the game and the Cubs have given no reason to be concerned about a trip to the injured list for the young switch-hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All he is good for is giving insight to Caratini. Pitchers are going to be scared to go-to the dirt when he is back there. And forget getting any close pitch.

He is almost useless.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Starters: Hamels, Darvish

Relievers: Kintzler, Holland

Well he can get in shape running to the backstop on wild pitches that he couldn't get in front of anymore.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
All he is good for is giving insight to Caratini. Pitchers are going to be scared to go-to the dirt when he is back there. And forget getting any close pitch.

He is almost useless.

I'd rather see Lucroy pitching the entire 8th inning instead of Greg Holland, tho

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'd rather see Schwarber back there.

(not quoting anyone to remove all doubt)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
FYI.

The decision to keep Schwarber off C was because they did not want to lose his bat due to injury.

In hindsight it might have been better to develop him a bit longer as a catcher so his bat would have developed also.

One thing I've noticed is his numbers fall off the table when he leads off. Then they shoot up when he is down in the order. It happens every time and Joe keeps on pushing him into a failure.

Regardless, if he was going to be anything more than a emergency catcher it would be on another team that is willing to develop him there. I doubt Jed and Theo ever will.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Lucroy could amputate a leg and be a better backup option than Taylor Davis.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
FYI.

The decision to keep Schwarber off C was because they did not want to lose his bat due to injury.

In hindsight it might have been better to develop him a bit longer as a catcher so his bat would have developed also.

One thing I've noticed is his numbers fall off the table when he leads off. Then they shoot up when he is down in the order. It happens every time and Joe keeps on pushing him into a failure.

Regardless, if he was going to be anything more than a emergency catcher it would be on another team that is willing to develop him there. I doubt Jed and Theo ever will.

None of this is true.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
None of this is true.

Really?

smile. "I think we've always felt good about having that as a third catcher if something happened. Most teams have an infielder or something like that, but we have a guy that did it a lot in the minor leagues. He can certainly do it.

"I've always thought the challenge with that kind of thing is the bullpen. It's one thing to catch the starters; it's another thing to catch a series of relievers coming into the game throwing 97 mph. It's a lot different than playing in left field.

"He would do a good job if we needed him, but our goal here is to keep him healthy and keep his bat in the lineup. We made that decision to move him out from behind there for that reason."