David Montgomery Comparisons

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's been trained all season to not trust his holes to be there. Cohen also. No surprise they hesitate to see all options when most often there are absolutely none. DM is far more than we've seen, but he's not Barry Sanders out of the gate.

I'm not trying to run him down, but his vision can definitely improve, especially in seeing the backside open up. That's pretty typical for a rookie, especially one behind a weak OL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
U r joking right ? His vision is why he gets any yards period. Like is this a troll ??

His contact balance is why he gets most of his yards. That's what YAC is, the stat where he has excelled all through college and this year as well.

Hi vision isn't bad, but it's definitely not close to his best trait. I think it will improve, especially his ability to see when a crease opens on the back side of a play. He works outside to the playside too often right now.

You can watch The Tape Never Lies to see some of his misses. Dr. Phil (rightly imo) loves him, but also points out when he misses holes.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He has literally zero home run ability. Improving the o line isn't going to suddenly make Monty faster in pads.

He might just be too slow to be functional in the NFL.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
He has literally zero home run ability. Improving the o line isn't going to suddenly make Monty faster in pads.

He's faster than Payton was and Walter was pretty good.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
This is not a Monty vs Howard thread. This is a Monty vs Saquon, bell, zeke thread so stop with the nonsense

You mean Monty vs. Frankenstein. I think he has better moves and certainly better cuts than Frankenstein but Frankenstein had more power in his straight-line motion.

Montgomery also never chucked a little girl into a river but I believe Frankenstein will hold that record for all-time given the rules of today's era in football.

EDIT: In before some dick tries to make me look stupid by pointing out Frankenstein was the name of the scientist and not the monster. I KNOW, thanks. Just fit the OP's image that's all.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
He doesn't need to be a 80 yard TD run guy if he can break 50-70 yard runs he is fast enough...

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
You mean Monty vs. Frankenstein. I think he has better moves and certainly better cuts than Frankenstein but Frankenstein had more power in his straight-line motion.

Montgomery also never chucked a little girl into a river but I believe Frankenstein will hold that record for all-time given the rules of today's era in football.

EDIT: In before some dick tries to make me look stupid by pointing out Frankenstein was the name of the scientist and not the monster. I KNOW, thanks. Just fit the OP's image that's all.
I don't believe that at all especially since monty likes to take things east and west alot of times rarely does he shoot out of a cannon north.... There isn't enough monty runs to support that.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I wonder if this entire offense simply lacks home run ability. Montgomery seems fast enough but he fights hard - harder than should be required.

I often think now if Nagy liked Montgomery and asked Pace for him because he can take a 1 yard loss and make it a 1 yard gain with no real thought how he will use him for actual run officiency in the whole offense that could help Mitch develop by relieving pressure. (I think he had no design to relieve pressure on Mitch at all but put pressure on him before he was ready).

Even if Montgomery was in a good scheme for him, I suspect he would thrive in YPC but be second-tier after the best RBs like McCaffrey, Henry, etc.

I also suspect he will have a sharper fall-off than most because he seems to rely on his tackle breaking and might be exposing himself to more impacts than needed or wanted if he wants to last as long as possible.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't believe that at all especially since monty likes to take things east and west alot of times rarely does he shoot out of a cannon north.... There isn't enough monty runs to support that.

Uh, wow ... haha? I hope?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
How many decent holes has he had all season? When he gets a crease, he’s tough to get to the ground. He might not have home run speed but he can make chunk plays that open up the passing game. He also has excellent hands other than that critical drop against the Eagles.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He's faster than Payton was and Walter was pretty good.
Payton was much more powerful and much shiftier, obviously. Monty doesn't have elite attributes that make up for his lack of straight line speed.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How many decent holes has he had all season? When he gets a crease, he’s tough to get to the ground. He might not have home run speed but he can make chunk plays that open up the passing game. He also has excellent hands other than that critical drop against the Eagles.
I think he can carve out a role and a probably decent career, I just don't think it will be as a 3 down back. I don't see it.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Payton was much more powerful and much shiftier, obviously. Monty doesn't have elite attributes that make up for his lack of straight line speed.

Did you watch the Tape Never Lies review of the Lions game? Flare pass to the flat, DB has him dead to rights and Monty jukes him and gains 12.
Hand off and LB comes thru unblocked, Monty makes him miss completey and drives a pile of linemmen 6 yards after the OL had quit.
Looked like great shiftyness and power to me.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Monty gets wayyyyyyyy too much love for below average production with the supporting cast excuse. I’m talking way too much. Mitch does not get the same benefit of doubt with a sub par oline and Monty shouldn’t either. You’d think he’d accidentally run into a big play every now and again but it never fucking happens.

He’s averaging 3.5 YPC which is fucking horrendous.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Did you watch the Tape Never Lies review of the Lions game? Flare pass to the flat, DB has him dead to rights and Monty jukes him and gains 12.
Hand off and LB comes thru unblocked, Monty makes him miss completey and drives a pile of linemmen 6 yards after the OL had quit.
Looked like great shiftyness and power to me.
Yeah, he's obviously on a walter payton trajectory. Lets just take those plays in a vacuum.

I dont watch that youtube channel, i have access to the all-22 footage myself.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Monty gets wayyyyyyyy too much love for below average production with the supporting cast excuse. I’m talking way too much. Mitch does not get the same benefit of doubt with a sub par oline and Monty shouldn’t either. You’d think he’d accidentally run into a big play every now and again but it never fucking happens.

Jealous because Monty is getting praise and not Mitch? LOL!

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

You know nothing of football.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I give Montgomery a little more benefit because he's a rookie behind a shit OL and bad QB and was a 3rd day pick. Mitch on the other hands is in his 3rd year, 2nd year in the system and 2nd overall draft pick. Monty has definitely struggled, but plenty of rookie RBs do as well. We can only hope this has been a year of learning and next year he turns it on.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Lol whine about it