dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Umm once again Monty has only 2.27 YAC compared with Howard's 2.74 last year. So even last year, Howard was about half a yard better than Monty.

Wow, so have you not noticed that we have multiple o=lineman that are playing much worse this year then they did last year? How could you not have known this since we talk about it all the time and you're on here all the time posting in every thread? Do you understand that half of the run game starts with the o-line? I would think that would also be something you would know but ya got me thinking now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No one will be complaining about Monty next year because the OL will be the ones creating the yards. I agree with building a better OL but we just need to make sure we then don't waste resources and money on guys like Monty as he offers very little beyond what the OL gives him. Really shouldn't spend 3rd round picks or give 2nd contracts to run of the mill RBs.

This coming from the guy that thought signing ARob was a bad idea and that he's not a #1 WR...SMDH.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Once again the data doesn't prove this. Howard had 0.96 yards before contact last year. Monty has 1.23 this year. So the data says Howard was getting hit more behind the LoS than Monty.

Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it true. Howard was stuffed at the line more than Monty. He just did a better job of turning it into positive yards.
Wrong it just means he gained more yards after someone succeeded in touching him he could of been touched at the Los and ran the ball in for a 50 yard TD skewing that stat.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Hell yes, some of the great ones were still great with bad o-lines but i don't think anyone is saying Monty is the next great one. Barry Sanders didn't have many good o-lines.
No Barry Sanders was a superior version of Cohen

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's everyone's take on him at this point? I'm going to say he is pretty much who I thought he was in college...... average as fuck. Yeah the guy has some great "try hard" runs but at the end of the day he is just not athletic enough to make a real difference. The guy had a lower than ideal yards per carry in college. (4.7ypc) and he's following the trend with a pathetic 3.5 ypc in the NFL. (That's 40th out of the RB's.... 42nd out of everyone)

Now I know some of you are screaming the Oline is shit. You are 100% correct. The question is how good is he with better Oline play? Personally I don't think he ever becomes anything better than average. I certainly don't think he's the next great Bears back or worth the draft capital Pace spent on him. They need to draft some competition for him next year IMO. Thoughts?

Too slow...

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This may be a super casual take, but I'd like for him to just hit the hole sometimes. I love that he can be elusive, but he seems to cut as soon as he gets the ball handed to him.
I think u are missing the parts where our tackles whiff our TEs get blown back and our guards can't create holes to save their lives.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Talk about refusal to accept reality.

Good players make plays occasionally. Even when they don’t have much around them. He can’t do that. And you think the Bears are the only team to have a mediocre O-line? You would think the Bears are the only team in the history of the league to have a below average o-line. Guess what, there are teams in this league today with worse offensive lines than Chicago.

The O-line blame is so obviously grasping at straws because some people just don’t want to give up on a Monty being this all pro back. ”it’s not him. It’s the offensive line. They suck blah blah blah.“ They’re not great but neither is he. He’s nothing special whatsoever. Stick him behind a great o line and get him volume touches I’m sure he’d be okay. That’s it though. There are 40 backs in the league who could do that.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well it seems that outside of the usual and predictable homers most of you agree.... Monty is average as fuck. Thanks for your replies.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I think u are missing the parts where our tackles whiff our TEs get blown back and our guards can't create holes to save their lives.

I didn't mean literally every single time. There have been times where if he hit the hole, he could've gained some yardage instead of immediately going east/west.

Yes, the OLine needs to be better in their run blocking.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I didn't mean literally every single time. There have been times where if he hit the hole, he could've gained some yardage instead of immediately going east/west.

Yes, the OLine needs to be better in their run blocking.
I agree I've seen some holes but they always have someone waiting... the way I see it he would of gained the same yardage on most of them. I haven't necessarily seen any holes that were gapping or he had the potential minus a broken tackle from gaining huge yards. But I think he'll learn to hit some of those and be more successful at them.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Talk about refusal to accept reality.

Good players make plays occasionally. Even when they don’t have much around them. He can’t do that. And you think the Bears are the only team to have a mediocre O-line? You would think the Bears are the only team in the history of the league to have a below average o-line. Guess what, there are teams in this league today with worse offensive lines than Chicago.

The O-line blame is so obviously grasping at straws because some people just don’t want to give up on a Monty being this all pro back. ”it’s not him. It’s the offensive line. They suck blah blah blah.“ They’re not great but neither is he. He’s nothing special whatsoever. Stick him behind a great o line and get him volume touches I’m sure he’d be okay. That’s it though. There are 40 backs in the league who could do that.
He doesn't need a great line just creases and better play calling.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Really wish they traded up to get Darrell Henderson. Thought he was the best RB in that class

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I have no issues with Monty. Is he Barry Sanders/Walter type elite, obviously not, but he'll be good enough once Pace pulls his head out of his ass and invests in fixing the OL. Leno is absolute garbage, Daniels is lost, Whitehair is overrated, Coward is lost, and Massie/Lucas are bad.

The games are won and lost in the trenches folks. Fix the OL and nobody will be complaining about Monty next year.

Yeah, I could see Montgomery being like Marlon Mack if the OL gets fixed. Not really anything super special, but good enough. I'm with @remydat though that I'm not sure he'll be worth a second contract. I don't recall seeing any real flashes from him.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I love how no one(most) in here understand 0 about football. Jordans game is built on momentum since he is a very large and built back he needs time to get going(typically called a north and south runner) and he needs a hole to run through typically Howard is a few yards behind analyzing the defense and where a hole might appear and he commits to it which is why I loved him he has some of the best vision. Jordan Howard behind this line would be doing worse than Montgomery and it also wouldn't be completely his fault. Montgomery running style is different he runs up to the los hoping someone opens up a hole or uses his instincts to create something along with his ability to slip and break tackles. Howard and Montgomery would of been an awesome 1-2 punch your typical lightning and thunder even if they aren't the fastest players.

Wut? They had almost exactly the same 40 yard dash.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Follow up question:

Can a RB ever be good without a good Oline? Or do 100% of good NFL running backs also have a good Oline?

Payton and Barry immediately come to mind.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Marlon Mack is better.

He is actually a good player.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only mfers who would have success behind this oline is Barry Sanders or Payton...the league has been around 100 years...how many of those dudes have come along....I'll wait.