Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's why he has the name Big Dick. Nick knew that he had to take a restructure in order to make a team (ie. Bears) take a chance on him. If he starts and excels. Nick will void his contract and get another big contract. Bears have little to lose and a lot to gain if Big Show Nick arrives.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Foles is just a stop gap Qb basically on a 1 year starter deal. The Bears no doubt will draft QB in the 2nd and let him sit this year. Mitch and Foles can battle it out and if either turns out to be elite the QB we draft will serve as a backup or be traded. If Mitch or Foles are ok or average one of them will become backups next year while our draft pick this year leads us in to the future. That what I would do if I were the Bears GM

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Foles is just a stop gap Qb basically on a 1 year starter deal. The Bears no doubt will draft QB in the 2nd and let him sit this year. Mitch and Foles can battle it out and if either turns out to be elite the QB we draft will serve as a backup or be traded. If Mitch or Foles are ok or average one of them will become backups next year while our draft pick this year leads us in to the future. That what I would do if I were the Bears GM
You forgot keep drafting a QB every year until the Bears find a franchise QB. That’s what good teams do. Patriots, KC, Philly

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why he has the name Big Dick. Nick knew that he had to take a restructure in order to make a team (ie. Bears) take a chance on him. If he starts and excels. Nick will void his contract and get another big contract. Bears have little to lose and a lot to gain if Big Show Nick arrives.
OT... what is up with those wheels on this Mustang... yikes...

Attachments

• B89C31B2-E119-4DFB-81D1-58A3B60C33B2.jpeg
    B89C31B2-E119-4DFB-81D1-58A3B60C33B2.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I wish Pace would make up his mind. Is he a fkn idiot or not.
I thought the reason he did this was because he got options in the deal.
If Nick Foles plays well, he can tear this up and demand the real money again as a free agent. No way he stays three years here as a starter for this money.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
For me Foles and Graham both point to Pace and Nagy having absolute faith in Trubisky developing -= Mitch now has a credible mentor in the QB room and someone who can come in and take pressure off if required, and Graham is the smart, expereinced TE who can work with Mitch and determine if it was the TE's who were the problem or the QB.

If Trubisky is just a slow burner and can find the form that was initially hoped when he was drafted, then both moves will be great value - and if it doesn't work, then I think the Bears can safely cut Mitch at the end of the season knowing he is a bust and go in search of the next guy (or even keep Foles for that role as the starter).

Both are good moves by Pace given the circumstances

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Good write up on this. One other point is 6 million incentives are per year so in theory max salary in year 1 would be 14 million. Then in 2021 he would have a new base salary of 14 million and if he earned the 6 milliom in incentives then he would get 20 million for 2021 and new base for 2022 of 20 million. Finally if he earned the 6 million incentives again then would get 26 million in total.

Of course if he actually hit the incentives in year one that probably means he also would trigger the ability to void and thus would get 14 million in year one and them likely void and become a free agent.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Of course if he actually hit the incentives in year one that probably means he also would trigger the ability to void and thus would get 14 million in year one and them likely void and become a free agent.

would love some clarification on this part of the deal. Because what I had heard was that his ability to cancel the deal was based on if he is actually playing or not. It was reported that Foles wants to be a starter so on the slim chance that Mitch figures it out and plays well that gives Foles the option to cancel the deal and find a team he can be a starter for if the Bears stick with Mitch going forward. But if Foles wins the job (like what will probably happen) as long as he is the starting QB then he is here and cant cancel the deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trading a 4th round pick is still stupid.

Foles made the concessions, the Jags did nothing but save 21 million in cash they would have had to pay him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
would love some clarification on this part of the deal. Because what I had heard was that his ability to cancel the deal was based on if he is actually playing or not. It was reported that Foles wants to be a starter so on the slim chance that Mitch figures it out and plays well that gives Foles the option to cancel the deal and find a team he can be a starter for if the Bears stick with Mitch going forward. But if Foles wins the job (like what will probably happen) as long as he is the starting QB then he is here and cant cancel the deal.

Yeah hadn't heard that as that would be an interesting clause. That would seem weird to me because under the old deal if he played well, he would get the following with no need to prove himself.

2020 - $15.6
2021 - $20.6
2022 - $20.7

That is without worrying about hitting any incentives. By contrast, here is what he would now be getting.

2020 - $8m so $7.6m less with the ability to earn $6m more to get to $14m which would still be $1.6m less than what he would get otherwise.

2021 - If he hit all the incentives then he would get $14m so $6m more with ability to earn $6m more in incentives to get to $20m.

2022 - If he hit all the incentives then he would get $20m so $750k more with ability to earn $6m more in incentives to get to $26m.

So basically with that structure that would be a lot of money to put at risk based on incentives that he may not risk and wouldn't really be any upside to him except in the final year where he hit all the incentives for all 3 years he could max out at $26 million. Anything is possible but seems really odd to me if I were his agent.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Foles made the concessions, the Jags did nothing but save 21 million in cash they would have had to pay him.

I probably still would have preferred we signed a free agent that didn't require draft pick comp but a 4th rounder with that contract structure is a lot better than a 4th rounder with the original contract structure.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I probably still would have preferred we signed a free agent that didn't require draft pick comp but a 4th rounder with that contract structure is a lot better than a 4th rounder with the original contract structure.
This. Also dont we know other teams were willing to give up a pick? Its like some people want Pace to use ”The Force” on the other GMs.

“You will give me this player for less or equal compensation than other GMs are offering”

Thats not how you get deals you want. You offer the best package.

Liked Posts:

a pick at the very end of the 4th round. big deal. this is what is called nit picking.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

But Foles did that. The Jags did nothing.

In the Tannehill example, Miami ate money to facilitate that trade.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
a pick at the very end of the 4th round. big deal. this is what is called nit picking.

It’s our 3rd highest pick.

Do you generally like to pay more than you should for things?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This. Also dont we know other teams were willing to give up a pick? Its like some people want Pace to use ”The Force” on the other GMs.

“You will give me this player for less or equal compensation than other GMs are offering”

Thats not how you get deals you want. You offer the best package.

What other teams were offering a pick? We have a weak rumor that the Colts did, but then they signed Rivers.

The Bears had even greater leverage because Foles wanted to come here and was willing to redo his deal for the Bears.

Pace over paying again.

Liked Posts:
Pace overpaid with basically a 5th round pick to get the guy he wanted. Im not moved by the compensation either way. If foles plays well, then no one will care whether the 140th pick was included.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The question is do you think the 140th pick will impact the Chicago Bears more than Nick Foles? If you answered no then you basically drafted Nick Foles with that pick.