DLine and an Interesting PFF stat

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Our lack of pressure on Dalton was pretty evident and concerning.

I expected better from both Melton and Peppers who were complete no-shows on the afternoon.

However, this made me a little less concerned overall ...

14.00 – Time in Pocket

We collect a host of data at PFF and one of the newer things we collect is time in the pocket data. What does this tell you? Well for starters you get a good idea of which quarterbacks are holding onto the ball the most. Take a look at the top three from this week so far;

1. Geno Smith (3.32)

2. Terrell Pryor (3.31)

3. Russell Wilson (3.09)

The bottom three?

1. Andy Dalton (2.04)

2. Carson Palmer (2.23)

3. Ben Roethlisberger (2.43)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/pff-reaction-blog-week-1/

It's been mentioned that Dalton was throwing quickly many times, though there were exceptions. However, I didn't realize he was getting rid of the ball that much faster than anyone else in Week 1.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah, he got the ball out quick and I find it hard to believe how many are missing that. Re: Melton. I give him the same pass as Williams. Too much time missed in preseason, takes a little time to get back to normal.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he got the ball out quick and I find it hard to believe how many are missing that. Re: Melton. I give him the same pass as Williams. Too much time missed in preseason, takes a little time to get back to normal.

Agreed. And I'd put E. Bennett in there as well.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They threw a lot of outs, which skew the stats. I don't think we had much pressure. It's week one, so it's hard to make many judgments. In today's NFL all of these guys are out there on the field without much tackling or game conditioning. They can make these guys run if nothing else.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
For me it was a whole lot of 'seems'. It sure seemed like he had all day. I like to read those stats, but he still had our number, or should I say, AJ Green did. Quite a player.

What was most impressive for me is the end game. In the end, even though at one point it felt like it was going to be a 49ers and Bolden level of performance and rip into us, it didn't end up so bad. Jay was only off Dalton's stats by 40 some yards. Our second half was a relief.

Maybe the Bears, and Trestman, had the first game jitters, but were able to keep them relatively in check. Bodes well.

Yes... do bring on the Vikes.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
LOL at Williams getting a free pass...

So much for the player who is making plays getting the start... he gets a pass?

Melton was superb last year... Williams was non-existent... i understand melton getting a pass, but williams... again LOL

EDUB316

Liked Posts:

Melton was superb last year... Williams was non-existent... i understand melton getting a pass, but williams... again LOL
he hadn't been on the field since beginning of TC. What did you expect, 2005 Urlacher?

GoBears

Liked Posts:
It's comforting but even when Dalton was forced to hold onto the ball longer due to third and long situations, we weren't getting to him. I'm not panicking yet but I am glad Trestman mentioned that we need a better pass rush next week.

I *really* like that Trestman is stating what's obvious (fiercer pass rush/Forte no explosive plays/etc). Too many times in the past I watched our head coach act oblivious to or dismiss these very real concerns. I feel like at least Trestman can identify the problems. Hopefully he can address them while they are just minor, tweakable (not twerkable) problems instead of just letting them fester and before you know it, J'Webb is our LT and Gabe is on the right side.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't exactly expect D.J. Williams to be the saving grace at MLB even when he gets his conditioning up to par. The man is completely unimpressive in coverage regardless. I still am trying to figure out why people expected him to be good in coverage as the Mike.

Liked Posts:
he hadn't been on the field since beginning of TC. What did you expect, 2005 Urlacher?

He'd rather have Bostic biting on play action & lost in coverage. Bostic was so good in Preseason Tucker had to pull him in the nickel. If a team has to pull their MIKE LB off the field in the nickel instead of their SAM there's a problem.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He'd rather have Bostic biting on play action & lost in coverage. Bostic was so good in Preseason Tucker had to pull him in the nickel. If a team has to pull their MIKE LB off the field in the nickel instead of their SAM there's a problem.

I believe it was reported that Anderson played nickel quite a bit this game which means they pulled DJ in order to play Anderson.

Jake

Liked Posts:
I thought DJ did pretty well against a good group of pass-catchers. He was fast to the football and you could tell he has football IQ for situations and where the football might go.

Liked Posts:
I believe it was reported that Anderson played nickel quite a bit this game which means they pulled DJ in order to play Anderson.

This is what I don't get. Why don't they just let Anderson have the MIKE position, currently he seems to be the best fit for the position that Tucker has on the roster. He has the speed, experience/instincts to hold things down. He played under Rivera in a similar system, & the Bears are currently staying with most of what Lovie ran while he was here, whether people like it or not. Anderson has done ok. Why not plug him in at the MIKE & let Bostic gradually learn the ropes, while dishing out hits as a run defender at the SAM?

If DJ Williams ends up not having a starting position as a result, so what, it's not like he's making top dollar to warrant being on the field if there's a better option than himself.

Briggs & Anderson are the only starting LB's on the roster that have played in variations of a Tampa 2 system & both are the best LB's in coverage that the Bears currently have, the two should be lining up next to each other. let Bostic or Williams have the SAM where the coverage responsibilities aren't as drastic, & strong safety is right there to back them up if they do blow their assignment on the hook strong or flat coverages

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
SAM requires more physicality and DJ is not a good run defender nor am I sure Bostic is either when it comes to taking on and shedding blocks.

running bear828

Liked Posts:
Williams looked slow and sluggish, like he didn't have his game legs back yet. Start Bostic against the Viks which love to run. Bostic is a good run stopper. It is passing he has trouble with. Start Williams on game 3 vs. the Steelers, if Williams seems slow still cut him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bostic is not that great taking on blocks and appears to try and run around blocks which results in him losing his gap.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Williams looked slow and sluggish, like he didn't have his game legs back yet. Start Bostic against the Viks which love to run. Bostic is a good run stopper. It is passing he has trouble with. Start Williams on game 3 vs. the Steelers, if Williams seems slow still cut him.

AP can certainly make a lot of guys miss, and could really make a rookie look bad at times.

But I would like to see Bostic get a hit on him. Or two. Or three. Or....

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Giver it a fucking rest already! When you actually realize how many bad plays Bostic made in preseason then come back and discuss, but you're clueless in that regards.

Liked Posts:
SAM requires more physicality and DJ is not a good run defender nor am I sure Bostic is either when it comes to taking on and shedding blocks.

I get this, but right now Anderson looks like the best all around LB on the roster outside of Briggs, he & Briggs should be holding down the most important LB positions on the field if that continues to prove to be the case. I really would like to see Bostic get worked in at the SAM rather than stand on the sideline, or play the MIKE. That's sort of an all or nothing scenario with the kid. I'd like to see Tucker give the kid a shot, he's played all three LB positions. IMO, a MIKE by committee system is not the way to go. Give Bostic a shot.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
So if he's getting the ball out quick and finding these open receivers quickly, then our coverage was bad. Truth is, a defense will always get beaten by an offense if a quarterback can read a defense and knows where to go with eat and if the quarterback make a good throw. There are always holes in zone defense and on man, the receiver always has the edge since he knows where he is going and a defender doesn't and always waits for the receiver to make the first move. Dalton read our defense good and knew where to go with the ball. I think they played it soft in the 2nd quarter with short routes and it cost them cause the holes are smaller on short routes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro