Do The Bears Have the Best Front Seven In Football?

jive

Liked Posts:
I think they do depending on the the development of Bilal Nichols and Leonard Floyd.

In terms of DL, we don't have anyone like Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt. In order to match up with that, the DL will need to produce as a unit at each position. Bilal Nichols or RRH will need to develop and be able to get to the QB. But, I do think we already match up well against JAX, and DAL. If Nichols takes the next step, we could exceed LAR, PHI, or JAX. I still think HOU has the edge in this department due to Clowney being a stud. Nichols or RRH will have to take a pretty big leap to match that.

For LB, I think we match up well above anyone if Floyd finally shows his first round worth. The teams that match up with us would be HOU, DAL, JAX, and LAR. First off, none of those teams have anyone like Khalil Mack. That gives us a big edge. But even without Mack, we match up nicely. Smith and Trevathan match up favorably the best backers in DAL,JAX, and LAR. HOU that has 3 pretty good LBs, but Mack breaks the tie there.If Floyd can improve to double digit sacks, it would be make this unit one for the ages.

It's been a while since I could claim that the Bears had the best front 7. I hope they make it happen.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. But erroneous until "best" is defined in a measurable way.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
I think they do depending on the the development of Bilal Nichols and Leonard Floyd.

In terms of DL, we don't have anyone like Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt. In order to match up with that, the DL will need to produce as a unit at each position. Bilal Nichols or RRH will need to develop and be able to get to the QB. But, I do think we already match up well against JAX, and DAL. If Nichols takes the next step, we could exceed LAR, PHI, or JAX. I still think HOU has the edge in this department due to Clowney being a stud. Nichols or RRH will have to take a pretty big leap to match that.

For LB, I think we match up well above anyone if Floyd finally shows his first round worth. The teams that match up with us would be HOU, DAL, JAX, and LAR. First off, none of those teams have anyone like Khalil Mack. That gives us a big edge. But even without Mack, we match up nicely. Smith and Trevathan match up favorably the best backers in DAL,JAX, and LAR. HOU that has 3 pretty good LBs, but Mack breaks the tie there.If Floyd can improve to double digit sacks, it would be make this unit one for the ages.

It's been a while since I could claim that the Bears had the best front 7. I hope they make it happen.
Last time they had the potential to be this dominant was 2006. That front 7 was Alex Brown, Tank Johnson, Tommie Harris, Adawaye Ogunleye, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher. When they were fully healthy, they could basically snap their fingers and get pressure.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

I don't think they've proven it for long enough against top offenses to say that. Sure, Mack and Hicks are great, but Smith has only played one season. Floyd has been meh. Our OLB depth is unproven or hasn't done anything at the NFL level yet.

Until they do, we should rank them middle of the pack at best...

And yes, I'm mocking the absurd rational in previous threads about our WRs, etc...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What makes this defense so good is the balance. They are probably in the top 5 at all three levels.

As far as front 7, they've gotta be top 3. Denver has the best pair of OLBs, but they are just solid imo elsewhere. JAC lost Telvin Smith. I think MIN, PHI, and LAC are all very good, and I could see how someone could rank any of them right there with the Bears, but I would still put the Bears at #1.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They’re in the running. But Floyd keeps me from saying they’re a clear cut #1.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think the Bears have a weakness on the front 7. Floyd's production doesn't match a top 10 pick, but he flashes and towards the end of last season was catching his stride. If he stays healthy, he might finally break out for 8+ sacks.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Not sure why anyone is bagging on Floyed? The guy does it all and is a complete LBer. It makes me think most don't understand football. Sacks are nice but only a small part of the game.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Biggest question is, who else would you put as number 1?

MIN has a good front 4, but I don't really care much for their LBs.
Rams have Donald, but the rest of them are not better than the Bears (Fowler is okay, but he's no better than Floyd; Brockers is solid but Hicks is better, Goldman>Joseph-Day. Fuck Clay Matthews, Littleton's pretty average).
Maybe Philly, their front 4 is fantastic, but again, their LBs aren't really that great.
I don't think you put Houston up their, their NT,DE, ILBs are all worse outside of Watt. Clowney isn't better than Mack.
I think maybe Chargers might have a good argument, Bosa and Ingram II are a really good paring and Mebane is solid. Perryman's pretty good too, but you can still probably make an argument that the Bears are better across the board.
And potentially the Cowboys. Lawrence, Crawford, Jaylon Smith, Vander Esch and a healthy Sean Lee is a very good front 7.

Still think the Bears have a better front 7 across the board than all the teams mentioned above.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
Last time they had the potential to be this dominant was 2006. That front 7 was Alex Brown, Tank Johnson, Tommie Harris, Adawaye Ogunleye, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher. When they were fully healthy, they could basically snap their fingers and get pressure.
As good as this current group is, compared to the 2006 front 7 they still have a lot of work to do. Having said that I still think they’re in the top 3 in the league currently.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

I'd very much consider Hicks in the mold of Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt in terms of inside pressure. Sure, he's not as good as either of those three, but his play has been up there.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'd also mention the Denver Broncos in the conversation as well. Von Miller, Chubb, and Wolfe...

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I'd very much consider Hicks in the mold of Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt in terms of inside pressure. Sure, he's not as good as either of those three, but his play has been up there.
He was better in run defense and pretty good in pass defense.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
As good as this current group is, compared to the 2006 front 7 they still have a lot of work to do. Having said that I still think they’re in the top 3 in the league currently.
Lol wut our front seven now is way better than 2006 we just need smith to be our urlacher and someone to take on the lance Briggs role after trevathan gets cut or stays for less money. And whatever it takes to upgrade across from mack.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Well yeah because Harris would anticipate that snap and beat the ball to the QB.

Remember the time the refs blatantly missed Harris being offsides? I feel like that was against the Vikings.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
2018 bears defense double defensive touchdowns 1 less turnover overall 14 more pass deflections same tackle for loss 23 more QB hits ranked #1 in the league vs #3 10 more sacks total

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Explain to me again how the 2006 defense was better...