Martellus Bennett – TE
Will Sutton – DL

Re-Sign (1-Year Deals):

Jacquizz Rodgers – RB
Deonte Thompson – WR
Will Montgomery – C
Mitch Unrein – DL

Contract Extensions:

Alshon Jeffery – WR: Franchise Tag ($14,000,000)
Zach Miller – TE: 2 years/$5,500,000 ($1,000,000 guaranteed)
Jarvis Jenkins – DE: 2 years/$8,000,000 ($2,000,000 guaranteed)
Tracy Porter – CB: 2 years/$8,000,000 ($2,000,000 guaranteed)

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Free Agency:

Garrett Celek – TE – 49ers: 1 year/$1,500,000

With Bennett gone, the depth behind Zach Miller is bad. We are one lengthy injury away from a major problem. So, Pace signs some quality depth in Celek who was quietly having a productive season with the 49ers before ending up on IR.

1-25-2013-garrett-celek-4_3.jpg

Chris Clark – T – Texans: 2 years/$6,000,000 ($2,000,000 guaranteed)

Despite Leno Jr. playing well for us as our starting left tackle, the depth behind him is not so great. So, the front office signs a veteran tackle in Clark, who has experience with Fox and his system during his time in Denver.

clark_chris_CP_150830.jpg

Malik Jackson – DE – Broncos: 5 years/$42,000,000 ($22,000,000 guaranteed)

Goldman played really well as the season went along and looks like a cornerstone piece for years to come, but this defensive line still needs a difference maker that can consistently bring pressure to the quarterback. So, Pace gets that guy in Jackson, who at 26 still has big upside.

20140110__20140111_B1_SP11FBNBRONX~p1.jpg

Danny Trevathan – ILB – Broncos: 5 years/$35,000,000 ($14,000,000 guaranteed)

My god was the inside linebacker play atrocious this past year with McClellin and Jones not doing any favors for themselves or the team. So, Pace signs another familiar player in Trevathan, who again has experience with Fox. He’ll bring much needed athleticism and coverage ability to the JACK position.

250px-Danny_Trevathan.JPG

1 Year Depth Signings:

Steven Johnson – ILB – Titans

Johnson addresses some depth issues behind Trevathan and Timu.

Jaiquawn Jarrett – FS – Jets

Jarrett adds some needed veteran depth behind a rookie starter in Simmons.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Draft:

NOTE: I reference player overall rankings which come from CBS Sports. I allow myself to overdraft/reach on players from their prospect rankings, but I do not allow myself to project players dropping.

1st Round, Pick 11: Jaylon Smith – ILB – Notre Dame

Man, that injury to Smith was devastating, but look at what Todd Gurley did after coming back from a major injury. Now, I’m not saying Smith will come back and make an impact like Gurley did, but it does bring some positive light. Pace takes a big risk here taking Smith, but the reward could pay huge dividends. He’ll most likely enter the season on the PUP list.

jaylon-smith-purdue.jpg

2nd Round, Pick 42: Cody Whitehair – G – Kansas State

Despite rumors of Long moving back to right guard, it seems like he’ll be staying at tackle next year. This year, the right guard play for us was not good. It didn’t help protect Cutler or open up any major holes for us. So, Pace takes, in my opinion, the best guard in this draft in Whitehair. Despite playing left tackle for the Wildcats, he’ll move to guard in the NFL similar to what Zack Martin and Joel Bitonio did.

Whitehair

3rd Round, Pick 73: Artie Burns – CB – Miami

Pace gets great value here again in Burns out of Miami. He is a bit raw, so he’ll need a year of development though under Fangio and Donatell, but the reward could be well worth it. He’s very similar to Darius Slay in that he’ll have a learning curve like Slay did, but he could have a major impact year 2 like he had.

HYWDCDLADYWWRQD.20150921164023.jpg

4th Round: Kyler Fackrell – OLB – Utah State

Although Willie Young surprisingly emerged last year, there is uncertainty with his contract and the depth behind him. Fackrell brings some much needed youth to the position with his versatility to rush the passer and to drop in coverage. He should be able to make an impact year one in a situational role if he can stay healthy.

524fa639b8423.image.jpg

5th Round: Justin Simmons – FS – Boston College

Pace may have just struck gold again in the fifth round this year with Simmons out of Boston College. He brings great range and instincts along with good run support. He’s been compared to Amos due to his ability to make an impact right away. Like Amos did last year, he’ll enter the season as the starter at FS with Amos at SS.

8162738.jpg

6th Round: Kevin Peterson – CB – Oklahoma State

He’s viewed by some around the draft community as a Day 2 pick due to his man coverage ability. A good example of this is when he shut down our Kevin White last year. The knock on him though is that he isn’t the greatest athlete and is more of a football player than athlete. He should be able to make some noise in training camp.

Kevin-Peterson-Knee-Injury.jpg

6th Round (Panthers): Brandon Allen – QB – Arkansas

What’s a draft without a quarterback? Although it is not a Goff or a Wentz, Pace gets a developmental quarterback in Allen who has been compared to Jimmy Garoppolo, a favorite on here. Give him some time and I think he can seriously compete for the starting job next year.

hi-res-6609294_crop_north.jpg

6th Round (Patriots): David J. Grinnage – TE – NC State

Although Pace signed Celek, the depth behind Miller and Celek is still poor. Khari Lee looked like a waste of a sixth round pick and didn’t show anything worth keeping him around. If he can stay healthy, Grinnage has some real upside.

7th Round: Stephen Weatherly – OLB – Vanderbilt

Day 3 is full of developmental prospects and Pace continues that tradition with the ex-Commodore Weatherly who has intriguing tools at 6-5, 255 that should entice any team.

8069634.jpg

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Depth Chart:

QB: Cutler – Fales – Allen
RB: Langford – Carey – Rodgers – Perry
LWR: Jeffery – Royal – Meredith
RWR: White – Wilson – Thompson
TE: Miller – Celek – Grinnage

LT: Leno – Clark
LG: Slauson
C: Grasu – Montgomery
RG: Whitehair
RT: Long – Fabuluje

LDE: Jackson – Unrein
NT: Goldman – Gaston
RDE: Jenkins – Ferguson

LOLB (WLB): McPhee – Houston
LILB (JACK): Trevathan – Anderson
RILB (MIKE): Timu – Johnson – Jones
ROLB (SLB): Young – Fackrell – Weatherly

LCB: Porter – Callahan (NB) – Peterson
FS: Simmons – Jarrett
SS: Amos – Jones–Quartey
RCB: Fuller – Burns – Glenn

K: Gould
P: O’Donnell
LS: Scales
KR: Thompson – Perry
PR: Thompson – Royal

Liked Posts:
I like a lot of the players you targeted. I don't see any way Justin Simmons falls to the 5th round though. No later than early round 3 IMO, and that may be pushing it. Love him as a player though and would want him in round 2 if there. Behind Ramsey, I think he's the 2nd best safety in the draft.

With that said...Smith, Whitehair, and Burns would be one hell of a top 3 as well.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Fackrell I dont think leaves the second round.

Also I really like Burns, he knows hes raw but hes entered the draft for his family. Mom died of a heart attack in October and his dad is locked up and has 2 younger brothers.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
if you could get jackson and trevathan at those numbers that would be amazing!!!

Chinese

Liked Posts:
With White missing his rookie year I think Bears pass up on Jaylon - not sure they could afford another first round pick sitting out a chunk of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I like a lot of the picks as players, but not necessarily where/when they're getting picked.

Love Jaylon Smith, but 11 is too rich for my blood, knowing he's likely missing the year. Cody Whitehair is a my winner for "most likely to pull a Zach Martin" and be a rookie stud, though he's easily a notch below talent-wise for me. Also don't love the guard value early in the draft in most years. I think I'd rather sign a starting guard (instead of Chris Clark), and draft a tackle in the 2nd. I just think that's a more efficient use of resources.

Burns is interesting. He had some good moments this year, but really in his favor are that a lot of Miami guys in recent years have come out and been better pros early in their careers than they were in college. Gotta watch more of him in the coming weeks.

The next 3 picks are all going to go earlier than that, I think. Simmons is probably going to shoot up draft boards. He's become a very hot name in recent weeks, after I frankly hadn't heard of the guy til like late October. Fackrell is on the border of Day 2 and 3, so he could be there. Peterson though, I think will be a Day 2 pick. I know he's not going to be a 4.4, 40" vertical guy, but he can press and play man coverage. He's NFL ready in a draft where I think there are very few guys that have demonstrated his ability to play press man.

I really like Brandon Allen too. He's one of my favorites of the late round QBs. The Garoppolo comparison is pretty dead on. He's not very big, but he's a gunslinger. Doesn't have a great arm, but not afraid to throw it anywhere or against anyone. That can be good and bad. Quietly had a 50/13 TD/INT ratio over the last 2 years, in the SEC.

woopig101

Liked Posts:
I like a lot of the picks as players, but not necessarily where/when they're getting picked.

Love Jaylon Smith, but 11 is too rich for my blood, knowing he's likely missing the year. Cody Whitehair is a my winner for "most likely to pull a Zach Martin" and be a rookie stud, though he's easily a notch below talent-wise for me. Also don't love the guard value early in the draft in most years. I think I'd rather sign a starting guard (instead of Chris Clark), and draft a tackle in the 2nd. I just think that's a more efficient use of resources.

Burns is interesting. He had some good moments this year, but really in his favor are that a lot of Miami guys in recent years have come out and been better pros early in their careers than they were in college. Gotta watch more of him in the coming weeks.

The next 3 picks are all going to go earlier than that, I think. Simmons is probably going to shoot up draft boards. He's become a very hot name in recent weeks, after I frankly hadn't heard of the guy til like late October. Fackrell is on the border of Day 2 and 3, so he could be there. Peterson though, I think will be a Day 2 pick. I know he's not going to be a 4.4, 40" vertical guy, but he can press and play man coverage. He's NFL ready in a draft where I think there are very few guys that have demonstrated his ability to play press man.

I really like Brandon Allen too. He's one of my favorites of the late round QBs. The Garoppolo comparison is pretty dead on. He's not very big, but he's a gunslinger. Doesn't have a great arm, but not afraid to throw it anywhere or against anyone. That can be good and bad. Quietly had a 50/13 TD/INT ratio over the last 2 years, in the SEC.

Allen is very intriguing. I've never seen anybody get that much better over four years. Just this year alone he took huge steps. Also played in a power run oriented pro style offense which is a plus. He ran every play from the power I to shotgun 5 wide. Great intangibles, the kind of guy you want to root for. Physical limitations may relegate him to career backup but he could be a good one. You never know though

RedBeanie23

Liked Posts:
I don't understand how some QBs get overlooked.

Dak Prescott
Jacoby Brissett
Trevone Boykin
Vernon Adams JR

Paxton Lynch is popular, but he would be a good pick for Da Bears at 11. Goff, Wentz, Cook, Hackenberg don't offer as much as those QBs will. The numbers are telling and its unreal how no consideration is thrown their way.

Liked Posts:
I don't understand how some QBs get overlooked.

Dak Prescott
Jacoby Brissett
Trevone Boykin
Vernon Adams JR

Paxton Lynch is popular, but he would be a good pick for Da Bears at 11. Goff, Wentz, Cook, Hackenberg don't offer as much as those QBs will. The numbers are telling and its unreal how no consideration is thrown their way.

Sudfeld is the guy I don't get, but Adams is shorter than Wilson with significantly smaller hands. I don't see him being a NFL QB.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
[video=youtube_share;XYJwRJcCbFo]https://youtu.be/XYJwRJcCbFo[/video]