Dragging

Ram848

Liked Posts:
Why in Epstein doing the same thing this winter he did last year. He seems to not want a post season in 2020 by by dragging his feet. A new manager is not going to get them there. Castellanos and bryant and rizzo should be his cornerstone and build from there. Better pitchers and offense is the place he should be working on. Not breaking down what works. And also Baez should be untouchable.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Why in Epstein doing the same thing this winter he did last year. He seems to not want a post season in 2020 by by dragging his feet. A new manager is not going to get them there. Castellanos and bryant and rizzo should be his cornerstone and build from there. Better pitchers and offense is the place he should be working on. Not breaking down what works. And also Baez should be untouchable.

It's pretty clear the Ricketts have told him to get under the Tax this year. They're already about 2M over depending on how arbitration goes. I'm still of the set that once Josh Donaldson signs the Cubs will be shopping Bryant to Atlanta most likely or another team that misses out because Bryant will be nearly 20 M to remove from the payroll. In many ways, it's in the Cubs best interest. There are no top flight pitchers set to become FA after 2020. The only way the Cubs get better there is via trade. To do that, they need pieces people would want.

I've got a series a trades I'd love to see the Cubs try. If they all happened, offensively the Cubs would be hurt, but they'd have a rotation people would say could make it in October/November. And the Cubs have shown they can develop hitters to a better degree than pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's pretty clear the Ricketts have told him to get under the Tax this year. They're already about 2M over depending on how arbitration goes. I'm still of the set that once Josh Donaldson signs the Cubs will be shopping Bryant to Atlanta most likely or another team that misses out because Bryant will be nearly 20 M to remove from the payroll. In many ways, it's in the Cubs best interest. There are no top flight pitchers set to become FA after 2020. The only way the Cubs get better there is via trade. To do that, they need pieces people would want.

I've got a series a trades I'd love to see the Cubs try. If they all happened, offensively the Cubs would be hurt, but they'd have a rotation people would say could make it in October/November. And the Cubs have shown they can develop hitters to a better degree than pitching.

I don't agree with this. Bryant is not easily replaced and his trade return will not justify the trade.

The Cubs should be looking at trading Q if they need to shed 10mil.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The cubs need to get Heyward out of here to get under the tax. He was Epsteins biggest mistake. I dont think Ricketts will have any trouble going over the tax if its for our guys. Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contrares when a manager gets them to their potential. Fuck this 30 minute rule and where is the party shit. Theo wants this team playing mad, he said it the end of 2018, he said it the beginning of 2019, and since we have not tried that over the past 5 years, its worth a shot. Teams come in here playing angry, its time to up the intensity to really see what we have in these guys. We know Baez has it, we know Contrares has it, time for the rest to step up.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean it seems fairly obvious to me that Bryant is getting dealt. Problem with that is they can't do anything until his grievance is settled. If they were going to move someone other than bryant or sign him long term.... i mean what are they waiting for?

IMO, the reason you're seeing almost nothing being done is because they have to plan for an eventuality where they aren't able to trade him. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a very small chance. But say for instance worst comes to worst and they have to keep Bryant for whatever reason. At that point if they indeed are going to get under the luxury tax they can't go out and sign lesser guys right now because if Bryant is back they likely have to shed some other payroll to get under. Other than Q and maybe Chatwood, I'm not seeing where that's coming from

I think what you may see is them deal Bryant to likely Atlanta at this point. Bryant's arb estimates are like $19 mil. I think you then take say $16-17 mil of that total and try to fill in the gaps which would give you the $2 or so mil they are projected to be over the luxury tax. Given the way the offseason has played out thus far I half wonder if the play isn't trading bryant and giving that $16 or so mil to Castellanos presumably to play RF.

In the near term, that'd leave 3B as a rather large question but with Ademan and Hoerner both nearing the majors you would always have the option of moving Baez to 3B as he slows down with age. 2020 would be a bit of a "fix it with duct tape" approach but presumably you'd be getting back very quality prospects in a trade of Bryant. Hell, maybe you'd even consider trading for Arenado given the Rockies seem inclined to move him. In fact, that'd be kind of an interesting play.... dip below the luxury tax in 2020 and next offseason target Arenado in trade.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
#Broke

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The cubs need to get Heyward out of here to get under the tax. He was Epsteins biggest mistake. I dont think Ricketts will have any trouble going over the tax if its for our guys. Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contrares when a manager gets them to their potential. Fuck this 30 minute rule and where is the party shit. Theo wants this team playing mad, he said it the end of 2018, he said it the beginning of 2019, and since we have not tried that over the past 5 years, its worth a shot. Teams come in here playing angry, its time to up the intensity to really see what we have in these guys. We know Baez has it, we know Contrares has it, time for the rest to step up.
They actually don’t need to get rid of Heyward to get below the luxury tax. Also he really isn’t the worst signing of Theos time here unfortunately

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean it seems fairly obvious to me that Bryant is getting dealt. Problem with that is they can't do anything until his grievance is settled. If they were going to move someone other than bryant or sign him long term.... i mean what are they waiting for?

IMO, the reason you're seeing almost nothing being done is because they have to plan for an eventuality where they aren't able to trade him. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a very small chance. But say for instance worst comes to worst and they have to keep Bryant for whatever reason. At that point if they indeed are going to get under the luxury tax they can't go out and sign lesser guys right now because if Bryant is back they likely have to shed some other payroll to get under. Other than Q and maybe Chatwood, I'm not seeing where that's coming from

I think what you may see is them deal Bryant to likely Atlanta at this point. Bryant's arb estimates are like $19 mil. I think you then take say $16-17 mil of that total and try to fill in the gaps which would give you the $2 or so mil they are projected to be over the luxury tax. Given the way the offseason has played out thus far I half wonder if the play isn't trading bryant and giving that $16 or so mil to Castellanos presumably to play RF.

In the near term, that'd leave 3B as a rather large question but with Ademan and Hoerner both nearing the majors you would always have the option of moving Baez to 3B as he slows down with age. 2020 would be a bit of a "fix it with duct tape" approach but presumably you'd be getting back very quality prospects in a trade of Bryant. Hell, maybe you'd even consider trading for Arenado given the Rockies seem inclined to move him. In fact, that'd be kind of an interesting play.... dip below the luxury tax in 2020 and next offseason target Arenado in trade.

If they extend this year would be included into the AAV of his deal. They can't afford to push his AAV up like that. A more likely scenerio is they just do the 18 mil 1 year and then work out a extension starting in 2021. At that point Chatwood and Q are off the books which frees up 23 mil which gives the room needed to retain Bryant.

I would personally lock up both Bryant and Baez. They will get cost reduction via the rotation as long as they start to trust Abbott and Alozay.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They actually don’t need to get rid of Heyward to get below the luxury tax. Also he really isn’t the worst signing of Theos time here unfortunately
I just want to get back to what Theo promised, develop position players, buy pitching. #getbacktoyourroots

But of course, the bandwagon cub nation would want whatever name free agent is out there they do not need to google.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Theo may not even be the right guy for the job anymore. Our situation may be over his head.

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:
Theo may not even be the right guy for the job anymore. Our situation may be over his head.

Yep. He’s good at rebuilding a franchise from the ground up. Maintenance for a top team, he’s as proven at that as I am. He’s never done it and neither have I.