Early look at top five prospects for next year's MLB draft

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130610/draft-prospects-carlos-rodon/?xid=ob_siwriters

The dust from last week's draft has barely settled, with the three-day event concluding just 48 hours ago, but fans in Miami and Houston may already be looking ahead to the top of the 2014 draft as those teams continue their rebuilding processes.
To help us look ahead, SI.com caught up with contributor Dave Perkin, its lead draft analyst, and with Perfect Game's Allan Simpson, its director of crosschecker, for their early takes on next year's top-five draft prospects.

DP: Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis (Calif.) High
Perkin likens Gatewood (6-foot-5, 190 pounds) to a young Troy Tulowitzki and calls him a "once-in-a-decade talent," noting his fastball reaches 92 mph on the mound, his "ballet-like fielding skills" and his prodigious power.

AS: Carlos Rodon, LHP, N.C. State
Last year Rodon (6-foot-3, 234) became the first Division I freshman to be finalist for the Golden Spikes Award as college baseball's best player. This year, he is the ace of a Wolfpack team that has advanced to the College World Series. He is a coveted power lefty whose fastball sits in the mid-90s and can reach the upper 90s. He has two obviously plus pitches "His fastball can be overwhelming and dominant," Simpson said, "and he has a wipeout slider."

DP: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt
Perkin said Beede (6-foot-4, 215), who declined to sign after Toronto drafted him in the first round in 2011, may benefit like Stanford's Mark Appel, the No. 1 overall pick last week whose stock improved after being drafted previously and turning down first-round money. Beede is "a smooth righty with top of the rotation stuff," Perkin said, noting "a 90-to-94 mph fastball that peaks at 95, a harsh 78-to-80 curve and a fall-off-the-table 82-to-84 changeup."

AS: Nick Burdi, RHP, Louisville
Simpson compares Burdi (6-foot-4, 218) to Oklahoma righthander Jonathan Gray, who could hit 100 on the gun and just went No. 3 overall to the Rockies. "Burdi's done the same," Simpson said. "He's the big arm for next year." The difference, however, is that Burdi is more of a two-pitch reliever than a starter like Gray -- but a very good closer at Louisville, where he had a 0.78 ERA and an absurd 61 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings.

DP: Alex Jackson, C, Rancho Bernardo High in Poway, Calif.
Jackson (6-foot-2, 200) is a well-rounded backstop. "Catching prospects," Perkin noted, "normally appear in one of two forms: Throwers who can't hit or hitters who can't throw. Jackson is the rare backstop who does both at the highest level." Perkin also pointed out Jackson's tremendous power and his ability to get the ball to second base in 1.8 seconds, which is above major league average.

AS: Beede
Simpson also thinks highly of Beede, noting that the Vanderbilt righthander has the "most complete stuff" in next year's draft. "He might be the most projectable starter because he has three pitches that work," Simpson said.

4. DP: Rodon
Few starters can manage a 12.9 K/9, but that's what Rodon did this year. "Subtlety and nuance are not part of his approach," Perkin said. "He attacks hitters with a mid-90's fastball and hellacious mid-to high-80's slider. After facing Rodon, hitters appear only too anxious to return to the bench."

AS: Jackson
"His big tool is power, and he's a solid defender," Simpson said. He added that Jackson was also athletic enough to move to the outfield.

DP: Nicholas Gordon, SS/RHP, Olympia High in Orlando
Gordon (6-foot-2, 175) "may be the premier two-way talent in the 2014 draft," Perkin said, noting that he throws a low-90s fastball but is also a slick-fielding shortstop with speed and quickness. "Gordon's bat will determine his future in pro ball," Perkin said. "If he hits, Gordon stays at shortstop. If not, he moves to the hill." Choice A would make him like his older brother (Dodgers shortstop Dee Gordon), and Choice B would make him like his father (former big league reliever Tom Gordon).
(Simpson, incidentally, pegged Gordon as his No. 7 prospect, saying it's "60-40" that he ends up on the mound.)

AS: Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Academy
Toussaint (6-foot-2, 190), who won gold with the U16 national team, stands out as a prep arm in what Simpson said is a draft class whose strength is college pitchers. "His fastball is 96-97 and he has the makings of an above-average curve," Simpson said. "He's the best high school arm at this point."

patg006

Liked Posts:
Jeez.....this is early...

Right now, I say the best pitcher or catcher available. Already too many what ifs. But if I had to pick right now, give me that Alex Jackson kid....

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know this is the cubs forum but the Cubs or the Sox could get the 1st pick, so I have a question about the Sox. I won't pretend to know much about the draft or how minor league baseball works so let's say the sox get the first pick and that Gatewood kid looks to be the best option for the first pick. Would the Sox really draft him after getting that Anderson kid this year who also plays shortstop?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is very early but I am expecting another 100 loss season after they finish selling off anything of value. Add to it last year Sori was carrying the team after they axed the 25 man roster. He is not looking like that guy this year. They might even do worse.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jeez.....this is early...

Right now, I say the best pitcher or catcher available. Already too many what ifs. But if I had to pick right now, give me that Alex Jackson kid....

Ya, I would take the LH first. The catcher 2nd then DP: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt 3rd.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rodon has been the favorite for a while as the best overall. To answer DPF question, if you think the SS is the best player you take the SS. You can never have too many up the middle players in your system, and you are better off taking the best available player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rodon has been the favorite for a while as the best overall. To answer DPF question, if you think the SS is the best player you take the SS. You can never have too many up the middle players in your system, and you are better off taking the best available player.

Not like it matters right now. Sox are bottoming out at 7th from the bottom. They should be better than that. Cubs on the other hand are getting good production from Schierholtz who should be traded and I expect 2/5ths of the rotation replaced and potentially the closer as well. They are looking at getting dramatically worse.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not like it matters right now. Sox are bottoming out at 7th from the bottom. They should be better than that. Cubs on the other hand are getting good production from Schierholtz who should be traded and I expect 2/5ths of the rotation replaced and potentially the closer as well. They are looking at getting dramatically worse.

I would be very surprised if either team was picking first overall to be honest.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be very surprised if either team was picking first overall to be honest.

Cubs end up at 2 or 3. Looks like MIA has 1 locked down basically. Cubs and HOU be fighting for 2nd spot after deadline

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I'm expecting the Cubs to be #3. Sox closer to 10. Mia just sucks and Hou. Is in a tough Div. Those teams could push 110 losses.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see the Cubs getting 2, but I am thinking they are more in the 3-6 range again. We will see, but I don't think this team falls off the same cliff it did after last deadline given that it will likely still have 3 major league starters after the deadline.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see the Cubs getting 2, but I am thinking they are more in the 3-6 range again. We will see, but I don't think this team falls off the same cliff it did after last deadline given that it will likely still have 3 major league starters after the deadline.

There bullpen and lineup most likely to get worse though. SP is a BIG thing but need offense to score and bullpen to hold leads.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There bullpen and lineup most likely to get worse though. SP is a BIG thing but need offense to score and bullpen to hold leads.

Again 19-42 after the deadline last year. Bullpen and lineup sucked last year too. Difference is that you should have no matter what Samardzija, Wood, and Jackson taking the ball after the deadline which will limit the starts from the Justin Germano types that occupied 4/5ths of last year's post deadline rotation.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again 19-42 after the deadline last year. Bullpen and lineup sucked last year too. Difference is that you should have no matter what Samardzija, Wood, and Jackson taking the ball after the deadline which will limit the starts from the Justin Germano types that occupied 4/5ths of last year's post deadline rotation.

Calling it. They go 18-43 after deadline this year :cubstroll:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Don't see the trades made at the deadline this year to be as detrimental as they were last year. Last year the Cubs traded 2 SP and their replacements were awful. Rusin and Raley were not ready and Justin Germano was not a good SP. If the Cubs do trade Garza and Feldman, they can be replaced with a much improved Rusin, Moscoso or Yoanner Negrin. Positionally, the Cubs are in much better position to replace trade candidates in the IF and OF. If the Cubs trade away Darwin Barney, they could fill the void with Watkins. If the Cubs trade away 1 or 2 of DeJesus, Scheirholtz or Soriano they can replace with Lake & Bogusevic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Going with a 6-22 Aug and a 6-21 Sept. 12-43 ending. The rotation should be Wood (.500 with the team as is) Shark and Jackson. If Carlos doesn't get offed he would move back. Not like he was a winning pitcher before. Then either Rusin or Raley again. Line up wise at min I expect Dejesus and Schierholtz sold. With Sori not being effective and Castro and Rizzo mired in slumps don't expect much O support.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Don't see the trades made at the deadline this year to be as detrimental as they were last year. Last year the Cubs traded 2 SP and their replacements were awful. Rusin and Raley were not ready and Justin Germano was not a good SP. If the Cubs do trade Garza and Feldman, they can be replaced with a much improved Rusin, Moscoso or Yoanner Negrin. Positionally, the Cubs are in much better position to replace trade candidates in the IF and OF. If the Cubs trade away Darwin Barney, they could fill the void with Watkins. If the Cubs trade away 1 or 2 of DeJesus, Scheirholtz or Soriano they can replace with Lake & Bogusevic.

I think I read where Schierholtz fits into the Cubs scheme for now. It does make sense to keep him considering Hairston is here for another year. No use plunging into that position now. Basically they have two players for roughly 5 million.

I would like to see Jr. Lake up here and see him for a while.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think I read where Schierholtz fits into the Cubs scheme for now. It does make sense to keep him considering Hairston is here for another year. No use plunging into that position now. Basically they have two players for roughly 5 million.

I would like to see Jr. Lake up here and see him for a while.

He has good sale value right now. There are teams needing a player with his skill set and gaining a year of control. The Cubs have Sweeney that could slot into RF with Borbon moving into CF. They are set up right now where they could off load Dejesus, Hairston and Schierholtz with out missing a beat. Don't think for a moment that this was not preplanned.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
He has good sale value right now. There are teams needing a player with his skill set and gaining a year of control. The Cubs have Sweeney that could slot into RF with Borbon moving into CF. They are set up right now where they could off load Dejesus, Hairston and Schierholtz with out missing a beat. Don't think for a moment that this was not preplanned.

I can see Schierholtz going, but not Hairston too. The Cubs would probably have to eat some of his contract and not get anything back. A Sweeney/Hairston platoon next year might be in the makings. Time will tell, and I figure the clock this year on Lake will work like Rizzo last year.