Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I find it surprising how often Davis is ignored when the RB situation is discussed. It was like we had this unfillable hole before the draft when it clearly wasn't the case. We needed more bodies with the right skill set but Davis is no slouch. Cunningham and Howard are gone. I expect Mizzell to be gone as well. Who's the 3rd guy to step in? Is that Patterson's slot or will another draft day guy fill it?

That said, right or wrong, we did trade up for Montgomery so I'm sure Nagy's expectations are rather high and he had a lot to do with it. This is exactly what happened with Kareem Hunt. Nagy had the hots for him and KC moved up in 3 to secure him. Not saying they are the same player but am saying that Nagy is likely expecting a Full Monty.
It's not like we drafted two RBs or anything. Davis is the guy who the rookies have to beat, but nobody is going to be surprised to see Davis ride the pine when Montgomery and Whyte rise to the challenge

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don’t recall all of them but it wasn’t a highlight reel. It was several games of every down he played.

I could be off base on this but I’m wondering if he will be successful if teams pay too much attention to him. My fear on him is that he needs a certain amount of touches to do what he does. But given the NFL speed, will he be able to overcome defenses enough to warrant the touches.

I don’t think he will get the touches Howard got. Davis is on the team and will get his share.

If he truly can make the most out of his opportunities and overcome NFL defensive speed then he can be the guy.

I’m just not sold that his ability will translate from college speed to pro speed.

edit.....I don't get the same assurdness that I got when I looked at Cohen in college......Cohen to me was a guy that could make anyone miss, Montgomery is a guy that can make average guys or unsure tacklers miss.
If teams pay too much attention to Montgomery, then the offense will be a success.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I will be completely surprised if Whyte beats out Davis for PT...
You're only saying that because you want to act like you didn't see it coming when he breaks off big gains week 1 against GB

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If teams pay too much attention to Montgomery, then the offense will be a success.
If Daniels is half the center we are hoping for, Mitch might be able to take snaps without using 3-5/10ths of a second reaction time because of Bad ones from Whitehead. Which QB looks best with an extra 1/3rd to 1/2nd second to go thru progressions and make quick decisions ?? EVERYBODY

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know some talking heads have predicted big numbers for Montgomery and possible rookie of the year. I don't see Nagy putting that much of his offense in the hands of a rookie. I see Davis sharing a lot of time with him back there.

I don't expect Big numbers out of him, but, I do think he will be as impressive as Cohen can be when he gets the pigskin

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Davis will earn his pay with 150+ carries

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Davis will earn his pay with 150+ carries

I really think that none of the backs will get that many touches. I think that one third of the time any of our backs will get thrown to, instead of runnin the rock. Also think it will be RBBC split roughly equally with patterson thrown into the mix on occasion. Will Give the Nagster a wide open play selection and options for the Biscuit

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see TeddyGaggles is awake and exercising

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I find it surprising how often Davis is ignored when the RB situation is discussed. It was like we had this unfillable hole before the draft when it clearly wasn't the case. We needed more bodies with the right skill set but Davis is no slouch. Cunningham and Howard are gone. I expect Mizzell to be gone as well. Who's the 3rd guy to step in? Is that Patterson's slot or will another draft day guy fill it?

That said, right or wrong, we did trade up for Montgomery so I'm sure Nagy's expectations are rather high and am pretty sure that he had a lot to do with it. This is exactly what happened with Kareem Hunt. Nagy had the hots for him and KC moved up in 3 to secure him. Not saying they are the same player but am saying that Nagy is likely expecting a Full Monty.
Who’s the 3rd guy? Have you forgotten about Cohen?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, early returns. They haven't even made it to training camp yet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who’s the 3rd guy? Have you forgotten about Cohen?
Not at all. He's the constant. 3rd new guy is that helps you. We've been keeping 4 RB/FB.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I heard the same kind of overly effusive praise for the 1971 Bears draft class and we all know how that turned out.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I imagine omelet was dealing with many effusions in that time period. In Toronto alleys.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Not at all. He's the constant. 3rd new guy is that helps you. We've been keeping 4 RB/FB.
Well I don’t know why you’d waste your time worrying about the the 4th string RB getting touches.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery doesn't have to be the bell cow. We just need more production per snap than we got out of Howard and that added dimension that defenses need to account for in the pass game.

Based on Nagy's play calling last year, I bet we'll see a healthy amount of carries for all of the RBs. Whether that will be spread between 3 or 4 is the question. Patterson and Gabriel will no doubt take some carries too.

We have enough skill players to spread the ball around in the run or pass game. This offense should be more efficient than last year, and that's pretty damn exciting.