Elliott Fry has been waived

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably true I meant in the long snapper competition though.

He's clearly leaning towards the vet and proven commodity, Scales. Wirtel needs to have an extremely productive back halve of preseason to even be in contention. Wirtel is definitely the better snapper but Pace knows he already has enough problems with the kicking situation and wants to go the "safe route" and not rock the boat with a rookie LS.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He's clearly leaning towards the vet and proven commodity, Scales. Wirtel needs to have an extremely productive back halve of preseason to even be in contention. Wirtel is definitely the better snapper but Pace knows he already has enough problems with the kicking situation and wants to go the "safe route" and not rock the boat with a rookie LS.
Proven shit commodity.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Look, I'm no Scales fan. But this is a business decision that must be calculated. Scales has big league experience and unfortunately, the Mt. Carmel legend does not.
Would you keep Scales over Wirtel then? I will default to your expertise in the long snapping field on who I hope to win the job.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Interesting. I thought the competition was neck and neck for the most part. Why not let Fry finish out the preseason? Pace has to have someone on the radar.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you keep Scales over Wirtel then? I will default to your expertise in the long snapping field on who I hope to win the job.

As a longsnapping expert, I would keep Wirtel over Scales based on what I've seen. Pace is not a longsnapping expert, he is a business executive that needs to cover his own ass. Scales is the safe bet for him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Interesting. I thought the competition was neck and neck for the most part. Why not let Fry finish out the preseason? Pace has to have someone on the radar.

No doubt he is watching all roster moves but I think they just determined today that Fry is not going to be the guy so free up the spot. I would be surprised if they did this because the next move is set in stone. Let Eddy kick the next 2 games unless a cut happens, and see if he can take the job,. He has the physical potential.

If not hopefully Riviera hooks us up!

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Yup, I’m sure that there’s more we don’t know. I and others figured they were looking for a reason to go with Pineiro the whole time, since he’s got the bigger leg and would be the prototypical NFL kicker if he figured out a way to make his stroke more consistent.

But that said, by all accounts, the competition was neck and neck. There were even a few beat guys who said Fry was leading going into the first game—then nearly everyone said Fry was leading coming out of the the first game.

Then they both had lackluster mediocre practices leading into the second game. Surely missing on 47 yarder in a game (especially when Pineiro did the same thing the previous week) wasn’t what this release was about. And surely this doesn’t mean Pineiro “won” the competition.

There has to be more to this—either they never truly believed Fry was in it because of his perceived weaker leg, there’s something behind the scenes we don’t know about, or the Bears have decided to pull the trigger soon on a third party kicker.

One of those three things has to be true, I’d think.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup, I’m sure that there’s more we don’t know. I and others figured they were looking for a reason to go with Pineiro the whole time, since he’s got the bigger leg and would be the prototypical NFL kicker if he figured out a way to make his stroke more consistent.

But that said, by all accounts, the competition was neck and neck. There were even a few beat guys who said Fry was leading going into the first game—then nearly everyone said Fry was leading coming out of the the first game.

Then they both had lackluster mediocre practices leading into the second game. Surely missing on 47 yarder in a game (especially when Pineiro did the same thing the previous week) wasn’t what this release was about. And surely this doesn’t mean Pineiro “won” the competition.

There has to be more to this—either they never truly believed Fry was in it because of his perceived weaker leg, there’s something behind the scenes we don’t know about, or the Bears have decided to pull the trigger soon on a third party kicker.

One of those three things has to be true, I’d think.

Very good post and pretty accurate from my vantage point.