Elliott Fry has been waived

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't see how that proves any point. As I said over and over when this was happening, it seemed like the tryout itself was the 'vetting process'. Pace seemed woefully unprepared, as has been proven by the fact that none of the 8 kickers are in an NFL training camp. I didn't understand all the subjective scouting of kicker spin rates and velocity angles...had they never seen any of these guys kick before? Does game film not exist? Did they not request tape from the kickers making FGs in practice?

I think the Democratic Primary was more organized. Its kind of incredible that a team on the cusp of a Super Bowl with the most dire need for a kicker of any team in the NFL gets first crack at the applicant pool, invites eight guys to tryout, and in August ZERO of those 8 guys are deemed worthy enough to be on a two or three deep NFL kicker roster. That level of incompetence is astounding.
Well said even though I don't agree...Well said.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Great article and should dispel the thought that the early tryout was thrown together haphazardly.

- They brought in a larger than normal number of kickers (I AGREE NOT THE BEST GROUP)
- They brought them in earlier than normal
- They hired one of the best kicking experts in the country
- They rented technology to help them track Ball flight information
- They put the kickers in a stressful situation that simulated the pressure situation that they experienced last year.

I can see why they did it early, so that they could focus more on the rest of the team during camp.

No team has ever had this approach and this was the whole purpose....

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I can’t imagine being scared that 95 percenter Matt Bryant would miss at Soldier because of the elements, but not be scared that Pineiro would do the same, considering Pineiro has never kicked below 40 degrees in his life.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I can’t imagine being scared that 95 percenter Matt Bryant would miss at Soldier because of the elements, but not be scared that Pineiro would do the same, considering Pineiro has never kicked below 40 degrees in his life.
Rather have the guy that may work for 15-20 years rather than the 1-2 year weak leg rental...

jive

Liked Posts:
Bryant has never missed a field goal or extra point on Hallowed Ground. Can't be said for Pineiro.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Great article and should dispel the thought that the early tryout was thrown together haphazardly.

- They brought in a larger than normal number of kickers (I AGREE NOT THE BEST GROUP)
- They put the kickers in a stressful situation that simulated the pressure situation that they experienced last year.

I can see why they did it early, so that they could focus more on the rest of the team during camp.

I agree that it is a great article and certainly sheds light on the Bears’ thoroughness and organization when doing a full-fledged search for the next kicker, but the article also clearly makes a point of showing the myriad of ways the Bears out-thought themselves and psyched themselves out while searching for an answer at an important positional need.

Whether you agree with their strategy or not, this article is not kind to the Bears’ approach.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or was it a deliberate ploy to give the media something to focus on whilst the BEars got on with their shit.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah even though they overdid it in the beginning and put way too much attention on it for TC, i'm glad they got rid of everyone but the one guy that they actually might end up trading something for in Piniero and are giving him these last two preseason games for himself. At least that's what it looks like they're doing but they could bring another guy in tomorrow if they don't really believe in Piniero. I'm hoping they stick with him for these last two games even if he misses a field goal that isn't a chip shot and let him get a real chance to prove himself.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree that i hope they keep pineiro these last two games and into the season because as exciting as it would be to go for it on everu fourth down i don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze or maybe the risk isn’t worth the reward but can someone google for me whether that would even be legal because if it isn’t somebody should tell me i mean pace get it hehe but no matter what i am sticking with pineiro because he is the only player kicker on the roster and in case you didn’t know robbie gould is not available and somebody told me dan bailey is bad but they never played football in real life

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
d3e39a65af5d82f9e74ede71de7f1416.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears cut Parkey.

Bears bring in a 1/2 dozen FA kicker looking for a diamond in the rough which is not unheard of for kickers honing their skill with pro help.

Bears go meh and trade a conditional for Pineiro.

Bears arrow it down to pack winners Pineiro and Fry for the start of camp. 2 kickers in camp is not unusual.

Bears attempt a trade for Vedvik but will offer only a conditional 5th. Reason is that he's not being handed the job and would still need to beat out Pineiro which they obviously haven't given up on. The idea here was that Nagy would have his kicker and Pace would end up without either a 5th or 6th round pick but not both. Fry was still here so there was a chance that we keep all our picks but unlikely.

Bears cut Fry and keep the guy that will cost them a pick if he sticks 5 games. Must have been the clear winner and it was time to pick one to get him prepared for the real deal. Looks like the writing was on the wall for Fry and it would have been between Pineiro and Vedvik had the trade gone down. Timing was later than optimal on the Vedvik trade attempt but Pace did not approach the Vedvik deal as a definite starter by not being willing to offer more than a conditional 5th. Pace was the most active in his attempt to acquire Vedvik and could probably have had him if he offered an unconditional 5th before the Vikes and possibly even after since he generated that value and had already been in talks. Vikes are also projected as a top team so value here may have been close enough.

Basically, the Bear liked Pieiro enough to not just hand the job to Vedvick and to cut Fry 2 weeks before camp ends to better prepare Pineiro for the real deal.

Point of this post is to basically outline the fact that it was an organised and linear process to come to where we are now and not the cluster fuck often implied here. No guarantee that it will garner the intended result nor does it excuse how we got here but other than using a 4th round draft choice on a kicker (both drafted kickers went in the 5th before our pick, and it seemed Pace couldn't pass on Ridley's value in 4 and he actually hinted at kicker vs Ridley when asked) this was how it was going down and even then, I doubt the draft pick would have just been handed the job.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those kicks lose over 10 yards if she can only take 2-1/2 steps instead of a run up and also have to kick it over a line instead of on one. Doesn't mean she can't do it and why the fuck not let her try but that vid aint like actually kicking FGs. She's also 37.

Here's weak legged Cody Parkey kicking from 80 yards under the same circumstances.

Last edited:

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those kicks lose over 10 yards if she can only take 2-1/2 steps instead of a run up and also have to kick it over a line instead of on one. Doesn't mean she can't do it and why the fuck not let her try but that vid aint like actually kicking FGs. She's also 37.

Here's weak legged Cody Parkey kicking from 80 yards under the same circumstances.

So more like those kicks lose about over 30 yards

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Pretty sure it's more a joke then reality.

MantisShrimp

Liked Posts:
Only if she could tackle Patterson in the open field in practice.

jive

Liked Posts:
Seriously, the media hype around the Bears kicking situation is getting out of hand. Now, we're supposed to be interested in a 37 year old soccer player that never did a place kick in high school or college because she was able to hit one field goal with no-one running at her with running start? Next thing you know, we'll be calling the winner of the Pass, Punt, and Kick competition, the Rocketts, and Jackie Chan to try out for kicker.