End of The Dynasty

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Idk how to justify Toews 10.5M cap hit.... I've always liked Toews, but he isn't generating that spark on the top line any longer... I thought he had it back those few games where him, Schmaltz, and Panik were killing it.... then they cooled off, we rested guys, and everyone has slumped and turned into hockey newbs.

I am not ready to give up on Toews, but I am getting there.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk how to justify Toews 10.5M cap hit.... I've always liked Toews, but he isn't generating that spark on the top line any longer... I thought he had it back those few games where him, Schmaltz, and Panik were killing it.... then they cooled off, we rested guys, and everyone has slumped and turned into hockey newbs.

I am not ready to give up on Toews, but I am getting there.

I don't think the Hawks can afford to give up on him either. He still is doing a lot things for them...just not scoring much. They can't trade him...no one would touch him with that contract. Besides....he's fucking 28 years old. He can't be in decline at that age. I would kill to be that age again.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Hawks can afford to give up on him either. He still is doing a lot things for them...just not scoring much. They can't trade him...no one would touch him with that contract. Besides....he's fucking 28 years old. He can't be in decline at that age. I would kill to be that age again.

I am 28.... lol it is kinda weird I am the exact same age as Toews/Kane... you don't physically fall off a cliff at 28.... I don't know what Toews problem is, but it isn't physical unless he is another Bigfoot situation where he has an underlying medical problem as yet undiscovered.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still like Toews as well. He's only 28 and I can't believe he's starting to decline at that age. Hockey is a funny game. Sometimes you do everything right and nothing goes your way...a lot of luck involved at times. I mean he looks fine out there but nothing clicks for him. Hopefully, we can look back on this and see it was just a lull in his career.

On the other hand, Seabrook.....the drop off on his skating is hard to overlook. He will become a stay at home dman soon and that's not a good fit for a top 4 in Q's system. Just under 7 mill for a 5 or 6 dman just doesn't work.

To my eye there's a difference between Seabrook and Toews in terms of their play:

Seabrook looks a lot like Rosival and Handzus, granted with more skill. He looks like his mind is still trying to play like he's 20-something, but his body simply can't perform anymore. Outside of last year when he was Brent "The Refrigerator" seabrook and looked like he has a body sculpted from Duncan Donuts, this year he did look a bit healthy but still trying to overplay his abilities.

And in the playoffs he's been the best D-man AINEC.

You could Kinda say the same about Hossa, but it's not affected him as-seriously and he had a much higher peak, and outside of his BROO-TUL drop pass that ended game 3, His playoff performance has made Toews look like Arkhipov.

Toews, on the other hand, doesn't look like his body is failing. It looks like he's, for lack of a better term, burned out. He looks like we do when you're at work on the day before a long vacation. Even though you try to focus at the task at hand your mind keeps drifting elsewhere--or you simply go through the motions. He looks unengaged--and unfortunately for him (and Keith, and Kane for that matter), it's crossing the threshold of simply understanding that yeah, it's a drop-off to the point of it impacting the rest of the squad. The problem with that is while Toews, Keith, and Kane have their 3 cups, their Smythes, and in Toews and Keith's positions, their Selkes and Norris' respectively, guys like Hartman, Panik, and TVR (who if they haven't shown skill have shown heart and tenacity far beyond the Toews, Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Campbell, Oduya, and Keith) don't. If guys like Ladd and Madden sucked it up to carry along the young Toews, Kane, and Keith, you'd think they'd do the same.

That to me is the stinger. I can understand if they're burnt out, but the level they're playing at? Still no excuse. Your average jackoff (like myself) wouldn't get a pass at work for botching it that badly for being burnt out--why should they?

This talk about Hossa not still being very valuable is total crap.
Exactly. Even if he's a mere 3rd liner, he's bringing it. Can't say the same for Toews or Keith.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I am 28.... lol it is kinda weird I am the exact same age as Toews/Kane... you don't physically fall off a cliff at 28.... I don't know what Toews problem is, but it isn't physical unless he is another Bigfoot situation where he has an underlying medical problem as yet undiscovered.

I know dude - its crazy. My best season in the NFL came when I was 33. Every one is different, I guess. Toews peaked when he was 17.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

It is his diet. I think i read somewhere he cut out meat from his diet. That is why he has fallen off the cliff, guy needs some damn meat and potatoes

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
It is his diet. I think i read somewhere he cut out meat from his diet. That is why he has fallen off the cliff, guy needs some damn meat and potatoes

This came up in conversation on The Score earlier this week. Trib reporter Chris Hine said that Toews made that change years ago, FWIW.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

He and Anze Kopitar have both fallen off significantly in the last couple of years, and perhaps no two players bore the brunt of the Kings/Hawks peaks earlier this decade. That's what has me worried more than anything else, that Toews isn't the only guy it's happened to.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Stfu you corncobb pipe carving hamster ball face painting dragon tamer

Listen to me real good you hermaphrodite. I will spread those flap jack cheeks wide like Elton John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This came up in conversation on The Score earlier this week. Trib reporter Chris Hine said that Toews made that change years ago, FWIW.

I thiught it was before 2015 season.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I hope Toews isn't done but he sure looks like. He's totally mediocre in his present state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

When I first read your post I thought...he maybe on to something there. But if you watch him, the rest of his game other than scoring hasn't changed much. He is still fairly disciplined out there, holds his coverage, not afraid to get his nose dirty in front of the net and one of the few centers on this team that can win a damn face off. I'm thinking it's gotta be a mental thing.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Didn't that start about the time he started dating his current woman? Hmmm...wonder if she's gone Paleo on him...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To my eye there's a difference between Seabrook and Toews in terms of their play:

Seabrook looks a lot like Rosival and Handzus, granted with more skill. He looks like his mind is still trying to play like he's 20-something, but his body simply can't perform anymore. Outside of last year when he was Brent "The Refrigerator" seabrook and looked like he has a body sculpted from Duncan Donuts, this year he did look a bit healthy but still trying to overplay his abilities.

And in the playoffs he's been the best D-man AINEC.

You could Kinda say the same about Hossa, but it's not affected him as-seriously and he had a much higher peak, and outside of his BROO-TUL drop pass that ended game 3, His playoff performance has made Toews look like Arkhipov.

Toews, on the other hand, doesn't look like his body is failing. It looks like he's, for lack of a better term, burned out. He looks like we do when you're at work on the day before a long vacation. Even though you try to focus at the task at hand your mind keeps drifting elsewhere--or you simply go through the motions. He looks unengaged--and unfortunately for him (and Keith, and Kane for that matter), it's crossing the threshold of simply understanding that yeah, it's a drop-off to the point of it impacting the rest of the squad. The problem with that is while Toews, Keith, and Kane have their 3 cups, their Smythes, and in Toews and Keith's positions, their Selkes and Norris' respectively, guys like Hartman, Panik, and TVR (who if they haven't shown skill have shown heart and tenacity far beyond the Toews, Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Campbell, Oduya, and Keith) don't. If guys like Ladd and Madden sucked it up to carry along the young Toews, Kane, and Keith, you'd think they'd do the same.

That to me is the stinger. I can understand if they're burnt out, but the level they're playing at? Still no excuse. Your average jackoff (like myself) wouldn't get a pass at work for botching it that badly for being burnt out--why should they?

Exactly. Even if he's a mere 3rd liner, he's bringing it. Can't say the same for Toews or Keith.

That's a pretty good analysis. I think we're all used to Seabs diddly fucking around at the blue line before losing the puck...the difference is where before he could usually recover fast enough to at least get a stick on someone, now they blow by him like he's standing still. I said in another post that I believe that he needs to transition into a stay at home dman...of course that means being a 5 or 6 on this team and at what they're paying him that won't work.

Never thought of Toews being burnt out a bit but when you think of how much hockey he's played the last few years with AllStar games, playoffs, Olympics and the World Cup thing...that's a shitload of pressure packed hockey.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I can sum up a large part of my concerns with Toews in one GIF:

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can sum up Toews in a video:
[video=youtube;PSKQ3ZNQ_O8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8&feature=share[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Anyone think the cumulative effect of Toews' concussions has caught up with him? He's had quite a few over his career, including some very obvious ones that weren't diagnosed, yet he was still right back out there skating in the next game.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Anyone think the cumulative effect of Toews' concussions has caught up with him? He's had quite a few over his career, including some very obvious ones that weren't diagnosed, yet he was still right back out there skating in the next game.

Could be. Watching him last night when he turned the puck over right in front of Crow -- couldn't help but think one would have to have a scrambled brain to make that pass.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be. Watching him last night when he turned the puck over right in front of Crow -- couldn't help but think one would have to have a scrambled brain to make that pass.

That, ...or he's got cataracts.