End of The Dynasty

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We also didn't have a Bickell or Buff to play with the top lines or a Ladd or Brouwer, ...or even an Eager, to play on the bottom two lines. You need power forwards come playoof time.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Anyone think the cumulative effect of Toews' concussions has caught up with him? He's had quite a few over his career, including some very obvious ones that weren't diagnosed, yet he was still right back out there skating in the next game.

That's not how concussions work, so, no.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
We also didn't have a Bickell or Buff to play with the top lines or a Ladd or Brouwer, ...or even an Eager, to play on the bottom two lines. You need power forwards come playoof time.

The Hawks never had a huge physical element but they tended to have one or two guys that could still throw the body around when needed, like the names you mentioned. Panik was the one who did it during the regular season, but didn't seem to do it much in this series. Fuck, the only hit I even remember was Duncan Keith's in Game 4. And I can't remember the last time I saw Keith throw a hit like that.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That's not how concussions work, so, no.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Repeated, frequent head trauma over a lifetime spent playing hockey couldn't affect on-ice play? It's inconceivable that emerging concentration issues or subtle personality changes off-ice could affect work ethic, drive, and preparation, and those symptoms couldn't manifest in reduced effectiveness during games?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Repeated, frequent head trauma over a lifetime spent playing hockey couldn't affect on-ice play? It's inconceivable that emerging concentration issues or subtle personality changes off-ice could affect work ethic, drive, and preparation, and those symptoms couldn't manifest in reduced effectiveness during games?

Toews is several years removed from his last concussion. The symptoms don't reappear out of nowhere years down the round. I've actually read studies that concluded, should a player be properly treated after a concussion is diagnosed, the brain actually returns to 100% performance. So I don't think it's any long-term effects of the concussions. CTE is the hot term everyone loves to use that but's something that tends to pop up well after a player's career has ended.

If anything is affecting Toews from a physical standpoint, I'd wager it's the back issues he had either this season or the one prior. Back injuries are kryptonite to just about any athlete, especially hockey players.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Toews is several years removed from his last concussion. The symptoms don't reappear out of nowhere years down the round. I've actually read studies that concluded, should a player be properly treated after a concussion is diagnosed, the brain actually returns to 100% performance. So I don't think it's any long-term effects of the concussions. CTE is the hot term everyone loves to use that but's something that tends to pop up well after a player's career has ended.

If anything is affecting Toews from a physical standpoint, I'd wager it's the back issues he had either this season or the one prior. Back injuries are kryptonite to just about any athlete, especially hockey players.

That is not entirely correct. Currently, you cannot diagnose CTE. CTE is diagnosed through studying brain tissue under a microscope after death. So there's no concrete way of knowing how or when it effecting a player when he is alive.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
That is not entirely correct. Currently, you cannot diagnose CTE. CTE is diagnosed through studying brain tissue under a microscope after death. So there's no concrete way of knowing how or when it effecting a player when he is alive.
Correct. But the symptoms were the focus of my reference, and that's what occurs much later in the lives of those affected.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tomorrow night the Nashfail Predators will authoritatively end The Chicago Blackhawks Dynasty of the 2010's by choking us out, stomping on our heads and spitting on us as their white trash hillbilly fans wave the yellow flags and celebrate being illiterate hicks.

Dejected and broken down, our high priced broken down veteran tortoises that resident E-Reporter HawksWriter wants to build around walk off the ice humiliated.

Meanwhile, E-Reporter HawksWriter furiously posts on the internet about how we should trade Panarin for Jaromir Jagr so Coach Q can develop him, Seabrook and Hossa.

What realistic solutions do you have?
What should the Blackhawks do this season?
Put down NHL 17 and show us some examples.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
What realistic solutions do you have?
What should the Blackhawks do this season?
Put down NHL 17 and show us some examples.

I've never suggested I have the answers. But we obviously need to infuse the roster with talent - which isn't easy considering our cap situation.

The two most harmful contracts are Toews and Seabrook - but at $10.5M we have no shot of dumping Toews. Plus at 28 there is at least the possibility of him returning to form.

I think we have to bite the bullet and include a body to dump Seabrook. Yes we'll have to take back some bad salary but if it's less per year and in length - it will help.

I've heard Noah Hanifin and Jacob Trouda as potential acquisitions. I have no idea about salary juggling and dumping but it's not going to be easy.

We're in a tough spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I've heard Noah Hanifin and Jacob Trouda as potential acquisitions. I have no idea about salary juggling and dumping but it's not going to be easy.

We're in a tough spot.

Where have you heard this? Can't imagine it makes much sense at all for Wpg/Car to trade those two Dmen with their salaries (and RFA control once those contracts are up) unless they are getting one hell of a package back.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks never had a huge physical element but they tended to have one or two guys that could still throw the body around when needed, like the names you mentioned. Panik was the one who did it during the regular season, but didn't seem to do it much in this series. Fuck, the only hit I even remember was Duncan Keith's in Game 4. And I can't remember the last time I saw Keith throw a hit like that.
1) Never? I seem to recall them icing guys like Bob Probert and Stu Gimnson :)
2) That hit was the only good play Keith made the entire series. That in and of itself should speak volumes.

That and likely that paleo diet or whateverthefuck he's been on the last few years where his production when into the crapper. :)

R K

Liked Posts:
End of a Dynasty? Hawks were slumping at the absolute worst possible time. Q has lost the room before, and luckily for us the talent in the room has always over come it. This time, they didn't over come it and it cost them. 6 guys had 20 or more goals during the regular season, two of those guys scored a goal a piece in 4 games. 4 games that included THREE total goals. Not quite sure how that's a defensive issue, slow or not.

Also I believe they were very close to firing Q, but Mcdonough wouldn't know how to handle the marketing side of such a decision. I think the exit innterviews were not good on his part on the way out the door for the summer. Kitchen was a bi product of this, although not sure how that effects anything since in Q's world Qism rules the roost no matter what any assistant might suggest.

Sure is a good think we've had 3 Cups in 7 years or I might be upset. Happy Summer, if anything some guys should come back pretty pissed off as they don't like embarrassing themselves.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
What a joyous go fuck yourself indeed... board isn't as..... fun? without you RK.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I've never suggested I have the answers. But we obviously need to infuse the roster with talent - which isn't easy considering our cap situation.

The two most harmful contracts are Toews and Seabrook - but at $10.5M we have no shot of dumping Toews. Plus at 28 there is at least the possibility of him returning to form.

I think we have to bite the bullet and include a body to dump Seabrook. Yes we'll have to take back some bad salary but if it's less per year and in length - it will help.

We're in a tough spot.

Dump Crawford too. Get a puck moving defenseman and roll the dice in goalies. Just too much money for a goalie with the way the team is currently cash-strapped

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know what this team needs other than a youth infusion. It was good that Q was forced to play the kids last year. The return to glory of Campbell and Oduya just did not work, yet people still want to move TVR and get more old guys. Hell, Svedberg played a ton of games when Keith was hurt and we never saw him again.

I really dont know what is happening. Bowman gets betterans because Q wants betterans, or Q spites Bowman and his prospect mentality by not playing them, or Bowman and Q are not communicating and dont know what either wants. Its easy for Q to say how he wants guys to stay, but its impossible. The blueprint was how the hawks won with finesse, but now, Nashville is showing you can have speed and tenacity, and if your guys only way to protect your finesse talent is by not hitting their finesse talent, its time to rethink this hockey game. Nashville is showing there is a new blueprint.

Sorry, but Hammer has balls so huge, they need skates, but the rest of the game is limited. Little offense, not usual tape to tape passing. Keith chooses to skate backwards more than forwards and Seabrook throws more pucks to the middle of the zone to clear than any rookie has. These are the core that needs to change their mentality. #1 D pair should be Keith and TVR. Seabrook and Hammer should have 2 and 3 lines to split up the core, but two of these three are usually together, while TVR is forced to play with different guys what seems to be every game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dump Crawford too. Get a puck moving defenseman and roll the dice in goalies. Just too much money for a goalie with the way the team is currently cash-strapped

Yeah...because any old netminder will work out just fine when Duncan Keith looks like Deron Quint and Brent Seabrook looks like Lyke Odelin out there. I doubt a puck moving defenseman to compliment Hjammer will help keep the puck out of the net...unless you expect Kane and Panarin to both break 50 goals next year.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...because any old netminder will work out just fine when Duncan Keith looks like Deron Quint and Brent Seabrook looks like Lyke Odelin out there. I doubt a puck moving defenseman to compliment Hjammer will help keep the puck out of the net...unless you expect Kane and Panarin to both break 50 goals next year.

Thanks for ruining my whole morning mentioning them. :mad: