End of The Dynasty

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Getting rid of those two simply to get rid of them...not smart. Makes this team a worse team. People have gotten on Seabrook but he is still a solid #3 guy and Hossa had a very solid year offensively (with his defense a given).

That's not even taking into account the NMC/NTC and the recapture fee on the salary cap for reasons why they won't be exposed...but I'm sure you already knew that.

Oh thank God an E-reporter on CCS just taught me that keeping 38 year Marian Hossa and his four remaining seasons with a cap hit of over $5M annually is a great idea!!! Thanks for totally changing my perspective. He's going to be fucking 42 years old in his last year and you want to keep him LOL.

Meanwhile Seabrook is already broken down and his salary runs through 2023-24 with a cap hit of nearly $7M per year. He's absolutely fucking crippling to us and it would be a dream scenario if somebody took him.

But Mr. E-Reporter wants to keep the over priced aging, broken down tortoises. Glad you're just an E-reporter and not a GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just win game 4 dammit

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you're just seeing a perfect storm of the worst possible matchup for the Hawks at a time when they just can't get out of their own way.

Yes and no.

http://deadspin.com/the-dynasty-that-ate-itself-1794385282

The writing is on the wall.
I linked a Deadspin article aboot the rise and fall of the RedWings.
Chicago followed their model very closely, now we're seeing the first remnants of cracks in the core, and possibly the future of this team.

Not only are the Wings mired in mediocrity going into their new arena, they’re hamstrung for the next few years. The team’s future payroll is a graveyard of old guys on laughably bad contracts. This is a very important statement. It basically states how you sacrifice the future-- far future to solidify winning now. We can look at many facets of this, but one of the reasons is the cap not moving hardly at all. It should be in the mid to upper 80 million mark at this point, but it has barely budged for the inflation happening to contracts (hello lockout).

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There's going to be a lengthy discussion this summer around these parts involving Toews, I think.

If only Grimson were here to join in

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes and no.

http://deadspin.com/the-dynasty-that-ate-itself-1794385282

The writing is on the wall.
I linked a Deadspin article aboot the rise and fall of the RedWings.
Chicago followed their model very closely, now we're seeing the first remnants of cracks in the core, and possibly the future of this team.

Not only are the Wings mired in mediocrity going into their new arena, they’re hamstrung for the next few years. The team’s future payroll is a graveyard of old guys on laughably bad contracts. This is a very important statement. It basically states how you sacrifice the future-- far future to solidify winning now. We can look at many facets of this, but one of the reasons is the cap not moving hardly at all. It should be in the mid to upper 80 million mark at this point, but it has barely budged for the inflation happening to contracts (hello lockout).

I don't see it quite as dismal as the Wings. You look at the contracts and I really only see a couple that are biting the Hawks in the ass. Seabrook and Toews....now you can look at Hossa, which may fall into that category at some point but at 5 mill, he delivered appropriately. At least he did this season. Keith at 5.5 could be a problem but I don't think he's done...but Q will have to start limiting his mileage. Kane takes a big bite of the cap but he's worth every penny.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see it quite as dismal as the Wings. You look at the contracts and I really only see a couple that are biting the Hawks in the ass. Seabrook and Toews....now you can look at Hossa, which may fall into that category at some point but at 5 mill, he delivered appropriately. At least he did this season. Keith at 5.5 could be a problem but I don't think he's done...but Q will have to start limiting his mileage. Kane takes a big bite of the cap but he's worth every penny.

But it's proving the point if you're going to include 19, 81 and 7 into your defense. That's basically 1/4 of your cap depreciating in front of your eyes.
I do like Toews, but I don't see the value. I really never did at his cap hit. I would understand it if the cap inflated as quickly as some of the salaries.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But it's proving the point if you're going to include 19, 81 and 7 into your defense. That's basically 1/4 of your cap depreciating in front of your eyes.
I do like Toews, but I don't see the value. I really never did at his cap hit. I would understand it if the cap inflated as quickly as some of the salaries.

I still like Toews as well. He's only 28 and I can't believe he's starting to decline at that age. Hockey is a funny game. Sometimes you do everything right and nothing goes your way...a lot of luck involved at times. I mean he looks fine out there but nothing clicks for him. Hopefully, we can look back on this and see it was just a lull in his career.

On the other hand, Seabrook.....the drop off on his skating is hard to overlook. He will become a stay at home dman soon and that's not a good fit for a top 4 in Q's system. Just under 7 mill for a 5 or 6 dman just doesn't work.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This talk about Hossa not still being very valuable is total crap.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Marian Hossa's profile per wiki:

Born: 1932
Years active in NHL: 1951-present
Stage of CTE: Advanced (see Rafi Torres)
Salary: $22,500,000.00 Annually
Goals scored in 2017: Three
Contract Length: Through 2042.
Biggest Fan: CCS E-Reporter HAWKSWRITER

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Tomorrow night the Nashfail Predators will authoritatively end The Chicago Blackhawks Dynasty of the 2010's by choking us out, stomping on our heads and spitting on us as their white trash hillbilly fans wave the yellow flags and celebrate being illiterate hicks.

Dejected and broken down, our high priced broken down veteran tortoises that resident E-Reporter HawksWriter wants to build around walk off the ice humiliated.

Meanwhile, E-Reporter HawksWriter furiously posts on the internet about how we should trade Panarin for Jaromir Jagr so Coach Q can develop him, Seabrook and Hossa.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Damn...I've got a new fan. This is awesome. I'll set up a PO Box later today that you can send the fan mail to.

And to think..this all started because he said that the Blackhawks should consider Hossa/Seabrook for the expansion draft without clearly thinking about the hurdles of the NMC/NTC, cap recapture if Hossa retires early, and the fact that this team would be worse without those two. Salary dumps may have to happen again and may make sense when they do, but just getting rid of two players because they are "old" is stupid. Still valuable players who help this team win.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn...I've got a new fan. This is awesome. I'll set up a PO Box later today that you can send the fan mail to.

And to think..this all started because he said that the Blackhawks should consider Hossa/Seabrook for the expansion draft without clearly thinking about the hurdles of the NMC/NTC, cap recapture if Hossa retires early, and the fact that this team would be worse without those two. Salary dumps may have to happen again and may make sense when they do, but just getting rid of two players because they are "old" is stupid. Still valuable players who help this team win.

This talk about Hossa not still being very valuable is total crap.

I think the misunderstanding comes when people talk aboot worth. Yes, both 81 and 7 bring worth, but what is their worth compared to the cap hit?
What happens when players receive these long deals that we all know in the end are not worth it? Depreciating returns need to be addressed.

Don't get me wrong, I like these players. I like Toews, but someone has to defend his 10.5m cap hit. Is it 5.5m for his play and 5m for leadership qualities?
If this team loses Crawford, you may see a few years with this team barely squeaking in, a la 2011.

I'm also fine with what has happened. 3 cups in the last 7 years is awesome, but eventually it may be all good memories followed by an above average team that just has enough to play in April, but not in May.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I think the misunderstanding comes when people talk aboot worth. Yes, both 81 and 7 bring worth, but what is their worth compared to the cap hit?
What happens when players receive these long deals that we all know in the end are not worth it? Depreciating returns need to be addressed.

Don't get me wrong, I like these players. I like Toews, but someone has to defend his 10.5m cap hit. Is it 5.5m for his play and 5m for leadership qualities?
If this team loses Crawford, you may see a few years with this team barely squeaking in, a la 2011.

I'm also fine with what has happened. 3 cups in the last 7 years is awesome, but eventually it may be all good memories followed by an above average team that just has enough to play in April, but not in May.

Seabrook had an off year in a lot of ways, but I wouldn't give up on him yet. His cap hit was a bit high when signed.

Hossa...Hossa was worth every penny this year. 5th on the team in points, 3rd in goals, and like always he was probably the best defensive forward the Blackhawks had. That's impressive if you ask me. Sure, he is aging but he had a better year this year than the last and he was a year older...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Seabrook had an off year in a lot of ways, but I wouldn't give up on him yet. His cap hit was a bit high when signed.

Hossa...Hossa was worth every penny this year. 5th on the team in points, 3rd in goals, and like always he was probably the best defensive forward the Blackhawks had. That's impressive if you ask me. Sure, he is aging but he had a better year this year than the last and he was a year older...

You'd have a hard time find a way to criticize Hossa after the season he just had. But I also think you have to account for him likely declining over the next few seasons. Age catches up to everyone eventually. It's got Hossa a little bit. I think he could certainly be a good 3rd liner for the next few seasons again, and him reaching the 40-50 point range isn't a stretch. But it's really hard for me to expect him to be as good again in 17-18 and he was in 16-17.

And I have no idea about what to expect from Seabrook.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not to mention that a large part of the year was on the third line with limited minutes, and he was hurt for a bit too.

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Next person who says it, me, you, and Tater track them down give'em a beating.

You're damn right!!!

giphy.gif